Lakes & Waters being closed

Advert

Lakes & Waters being closed

Home Forums Soapbox Lakes & Waters being closed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Paul T
    Participant
      @pault84577

Dear All

Having been told of a potential plan by a local authority to close down and fill in one of the biggest and best model boating waters in the north west I decided to start this thread and pose the question.

WHY DO WE LET THE FACELESS GRAY MEN DO THIS

To many waters have been closed and replaced with unused skateboard parks or some other civic white elephant and all because we, as a group, let the local councils get away with it.

So perhaps now is the time to draw a line in the sand and make a stand.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Paul

Advert
      mick
      Participant
        @mick

hiya paul

our own local authority did it about five years ago at southport merseyside they

let the developers fill our pond in for a car park for retail units if we had not kicked up

about this and said that we were loseing a modelling boat lake that brings in tourists

and locals alike after a lot of wrangling they agreeed to build a new one but they skimped

on the materials ie instead of a concrete base they used a pond liner which we just dont

know how long it will last well thanks for your time mick

Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Hi Mick

Thanks for your comments,

You are right when you say that local authorities care more about bringing in new people than they do about the locals.

And if you consider the issue from a bureaucrats point of view who cares about a bunch of old men sailing their toy boats especially when the gravy train is rolling into town. 

So what if the toy boaters kick up a stink..who cares..your local councillor? or maybe your local MP? both of whom you voted for………well if you can find them (what with fact finding visits to the west indies) you tend to get a patronising lecture on moving with the times and the importance of a vibrant economy.

And so you get fobbed off with 3rd rate promises of raising your concerns at the next consultation meeting……which we all know is political speak for stop wasting my time.

I have found that in this world you have to stand up and shout louder than anyone else to get any attention, don’t rely on others as they will only let you down.

Paul

Paul T
          Participant
            @pault84577

neil howard-pritchard wrote (see)

many thanks for your support, Paul.

I have in fact emailed the reporter/editor of our local paper the "Fleetwood weekly News with the rumours of the lakes being made into car parks, so will see what they make of it and what the local councillors and Wyre Borough Council have to say on the subject.

If anyone else would like to make their voices and suspissions known to the Counclil via the paper the email address is        [email protected]    and the reporter as a gent called Richard Hunt.

I will , as they say , keep you posted.

Thanks again.neil.

mick
            Participant
              @mick

hiya neil

i have visited your lake years ago and that lake like ours yours was a institution like

are own they filled in we latter found out it was listed bit late ? keep up the fight

you have to keep it in the local papers as much as possible and harrass the

local mp and local councillers and try to get a meetingswith the local council

we never let up keep up the fight mate mick

Paul T
              Participant
                @pault84577

Mick

You say that your lake was listed, do you know what the listing was (grade 1, grade 2 etc) and do you know if the lake was ever de-listed by the council?

Paul

mick
                Participant
                  @mick

hiya paul

the council would not let us know it was probably  de -listed behind closed doors  you

know the score but when we brought this up they suddenly said they might fund the lake?

they want to find  out if there is a covenant on there lake from way back might be a way to go

thanks again  mick 

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

thanks, Mick. that’s worth knowing.cheers,neil.

Paul T
                    Participant
                      @pault84577

Hi Mick

It has to be a matter of public record as to when the lake was de-listed and if the site was developed prior to the de-listing then the council have dropped the ball as listed objects are protected by law.

Paul

mick
                      Participant
                        @mick

hiya paul

nobody in the club seem  bothered as an founding member of the club  the new members

dont seem bothered as long as we have a sailing water there is only two original members

left so they are not bothered now thanks for your time mick as i have only just rejoined after

two or three years so you can see my predicament  

Paul T
                        Participant
                          @pault84577

Hi Mick

Fair enough, I hope that you contine to enjoy model building and sailing  and that your present water and club are all that you could hope them to be.

Cheers

Paul

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

received an email from our local newspaper editor this afternoon  stating that he is persuing the matter with Wyre Borough Council, but as yet they have not commented on his approach to them??? very interesting.Will keep you informed on any progress.

mick
                            Participant
                              @mick

hiya neil

keep up the pressure all the best mick 

Paul T
                              Participant
                                @pault84577

Hi Neil

Try checking out the councils long term planning strategy, whilst they might not admit to having a detailed strategy for planning, I have found in the past that all councils have such a document which plans the future buisness, industrial and housing growth, usually looking forward about 20 years.

These are public records but you might have to dig to find them.

Paul

neil hp
                                Participant
                                  @neilhp

cheers Paul.I’ll see what richard Hunt digs up but will also email him with these suggestions.neil.

Andy Hustler
                                  Participant
                                    @andyhustler32076

We in cardiff are quite lucky really as we have Roath park which is a popular boating lake and a great place for swans,ducks,geese etc but has a tendency to weed over.There is also a memorial to Robert Falcon Scott,scott of the antartic who sailed from cardiff into the frozen pages of history.Also we have cosmeston lakes and a short drive we also have Caerphilly Castle Moat and the lake at tredegar house,Also i am reliably informed that Newport Model Engineering Society have a lake that they are building or about to once they get their railway sorted out !!!!!

Mike Davidson
                                    Participant
                                      @mikedavidson22772

Well, I’ve read the first post, and I am moved to put in my three pennyworth, Paul, the point that springs to my mind is that the closed lake is a lost amenity, the local councillors will not want to be associated with amenity snatching, I think your local councillor is the best bet for a first strike in the struggle to regain a lost amenity. Make your cries as public as possible like an open letter in the local rag to the councllor inviting a reply like "Come on, explain yourself "

Go on Paul, we are right behind you

Paul T
                                      Participant
                                        @pault84577

Hi Mike

I am afraid to say that in this modern world local amenities like a boating lake and a handful of model boaters don’t amount to a great deal especially when the gravy train is rolling. 

In my experience politicians are like bankers, just in it for what they can get out of it.

Paul

Paul T
                                        Participant
                                          @pault84577
                                        Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)