KENYA British India Line 1951 – 1969 32’=1″

Advert

KENYA British India Line 1951 – 1969 32’=1″

Home Forums Static modelling KENYA British India Line 1951 – 1969 32’=1″

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101
      Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        The basic shape has been hacked out of a lump of obeche that someone gave me.
        Bob

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627
          Bob,

You went for the one with the lower funnel then. Lovely looking ship – will you depict her withn the black hull?

I had a wonderful cruise on the earlier BI Devonia (ex Devonshire) as a school ship in 1964. 2 weeks round the Med and back to the UK for £49.

Colin
          Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101
            Colin,
            Of the two ships, I always found KENYA more attractive with the shorter funnel although I came across the UGANDA a lot more as she lasted much longer.   But as far as I was concerned, they upset the looks of UGANDA by extensive modifications in later years.

Although I feel that the KENYA looked far better with a black hull and white stripe, the model will be as she was known for most of her life with white hull and black stripe.   Also to be built full-hull rather than waterline.

Bob
            Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627
              Yes, I never saw either ‘in the flesh’ but I agree that Kenya looks more elegant from photos. As far as Uganda is concerned, few ships look better when modified as the original purity of design is lost, Miltiades and Marathon and maybe some of the prewar Union Castle vessels being rare exceptions.

Colin
              Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101
                Yes,
                Some of the old Castle motorships were greatly improved by reconstruction and removal of funnels, notably WINCHESTER CASTLE, CARNARVON CASTLE and the old WINDSOR & ARUNDAL CASTLE’s.    Similarly, MARATHON was improved by lengthening and the addition of a second funnel.   Here is model I did of her some years ago.
                Bob

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101
                  For the one or two interested in this sort of thing, here is the KENYA shaped and smoothed with raised forecastle and bulwark plating, plus fore welldeck in positon.   The large expanse of afterdeck also has its planking in position.
                  Bob

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627
                    Bob,

‘One or two interested’ seems to equate to over 50 views!

Colin
                    Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101
                      Yes, but I am comparing it with 1,155 views elsewhere (started at the same time)!         
                      Bob
                      Bob Wilson
                      Participant
                        @bobwilson59101
                        Hull smoothed and plated, portholes drilled, bilge keels and bulwarks fitted.   Display case and carrying case assembled.
                        Bob

Bob Wilson
                        Participant
                          @bobwilson59101
                          The hull has now been painted and the propellers made and fitted.   Also name and port of registry added.     
                          Bob

Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101
                            Yet another damp squib I am afraid – sorry about that!

I have now made the bridge section, but it is not yet fitted in postion.   The  next task is to make the acccommodation around the funnel and fit the funnel itself (already made).    Then the after deck structures.   After that, it will be down to the finer details of deck machinery, hatches, rails, lifeboats, masts, samson posts and rigging.
                            The next pic you see will probably be the completed model.
                            Bob
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)