JAMES A. WRIGHT, 1877 32’=1″

Advert

JAMES A. WRIGHT, 1877 32’=1″

Home Forums Static modelling JAMES A. WRIGHT, 1877 32’=1″

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

JAMES A. WRIGHT  1877
      Whilst I was building the KENYA, I was suddenly overcome with a desire to build the American barque JAMES A. WRIGHT that was built at Wilmington Delaware in 1877.   This came about after finding plans in the book AROUND CAPE HORN written by Charles G. Davis, one of her able seamen, describing his voyage in the ship in 1897.
      I did not publicise this build, but just worked on it whenever I felt like it.   I completed it today and am now free to return to the KENYA with no further distractions.
      It is built to my usual scale of 32’=1”.
      Bob

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627
          That’s a lovely looking ship Bob. I think you must be almost unique, not just in building miniatures but in switching between sailing and powered vessels at will. Most modellers stick with one or the other irrespective of scale.

Colin
          Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101
            This type of sailing ship is easy enough.   No decorative work or guns or hammock nettings.    Steam and motor ships are far more difficult.    It was years before I started building powered ships, but I still like to keep my hand in with sail.    General model shipbuilding trends tend to dislike anything above 1,000 tons or so, probably because they get too big at scales like 8’=1″, but I have always found miniatures easier because I don’t have to mess about with knots, door knobs, ringbolts etc. and I have never had much patience to build big ones!
            Bob
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)