HMS MYRMIDON

Advert

HMS MYRMIDON

Home Forums Static modelling HMS MYRMIDON

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    STEPHEN ELLERBY
    Participant
      @stephenellerby70951
      Dear Readers,

Did anyone make this boat ?

Is Peter Danks still associated with Model Boats magazine ?  

I have about half of the issues of Model Boats magazine on HMS Myrmidon by Peter Danks between 1990 and 1996.

I would like to obtain back issues of the magazine or simply photocopies of the articles for part 11 and  part 13 until the end of the project.

Part 11 should be in the issues between April 1994 and August 1995.

Part 13 onwards should be in the issues from October 1995 until December 1996.

I tried to obtain photocopies from the British Museum on Wednesday but all issues prior to January 2007 are inaccessible as they have been boxed up ready to send to warehouse storage somewhere in Yorkshire in the New Year. 

I would really appreciate it if someone could check their back issues in 1994, 1995 and 1996 and confirm the relevant months.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Ellerby

Advert
      STEPHEN ELLERBY
      Participant
        @stephenellerby70951

BACK ISSUE DATES FOR PART 10 AND 13 TO END OF PROJECT

STEPHEN ELLERBY
        Participant
          @stephenellerby70951
          Correction

I meant January 1997 not January 2007 and the British Library near Kings Cross Station not the British Museum near Totenham Court Road !

The library contains about 11 blue vinyl bound annual volumes from about 1997 to 2008 on its open shelves in the social sciences section on the first floor.

Francis Macnaughton
          Participant
            @francismacnaughton39461
            Stephen,

I have Part 11 in February 1995 if that helps.  It is a 2 page description of how to do homemade photo etch and includes the pattern for the MYRMIDON specific items (not that many).  I can PM to you if wanted.

Peter Danks did a series of articles in MB around 2003 — 2004 usually with free drawings including Governor Hamilton’s Gunboat, a Flat bottomed rowing boat, a water hoy and the Acute class gun brig HMS BLAZER.  I haven’t noticed anything recently but may have missed things as i have only recnetly taken an interest in this area.

Anyone able to add to the list?

Francis Macnaughton
            STEPHEN ELLERBY
            Participant
              @stephenellerby70951
              Francis,

Thanks very much for replying and the good news.

I would really like to get hold of a copy of those two pages from your part 11 in Feb 1995.

I’m not sure what you mean by PM to me.

Please scan and forward them as an abobe acrobat pdf or picture file if you wish, or even photocopy and fold them and send them in a normal envelope by normal post.

Perhaps part 12 in September 1995 was the last part I’m not sure.

I asked magazine exchange to keep a look out but they had acouple of earlier parts missing off their supposedly complete list.  

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Ellerby
              ( Please send post to : 7, Overdale, Dorking, Surrey RH5 4BT )

Francis Macnaughton
              Participant
                @francismacnaughton39461
                Stephen,

I sent you a message (see My Messages top left of the page) with my e-mail address which I prefer not to post on the open forum as all sorts of spam merchants then plague me afterwards.  If you send me your e-mail in response I can then send you the scans.

Francis Macnaughton
                Francis Macnaughton
                Participant
                  @francismacnaughton39461
                  Repeat of my 9 Dec message which doesn’t seem to have registered

Stephen,

I sent you a message (see My Messages top left of the page) with my e-mail address which I prefer not to post on the open forum as all sorts of spam merchants then plague me afterwards.  If you send me your e-mail in response I can then send you the scans.

Francis Macnaughton
                  STEPHEN ELLERBY
                  Participant
                    @stephenellerby70951
                    Francis,

Thanks for e-mailing me the scans of the two pages from part 11 of HMS Myrmidon from March 1995.

They printed off just fine.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year or should I say Hogmany ?

Stephen Ellerby

Francis Macnaughton
                    Participant
                      @francismacnaughton39461
                      Stephen,

Glad they got through.  Did any of the earlier MYRMIDON articles include plans of the whole ship as Peter Danks has done for several other subjects and if so which ones?

Living in deepest Devon Hogmany is not normally celebrated!

Francis Macnaughton
                      STEPHEN ELLERBY
                      Participant
                        @stephenellerby70951
                        Francis,

I don’t remember there being any HMS Myrmidon plans in any of the parts of Model Boats that I have.

Part 1 in August 1990 page 15 refers to two sets of drawings both of which I obtained.

a)   Model Engineer
                        I seem to remember buying the Model Engineer drawings for about £5 from a stand at the annual Alexander Palace Model Boat Exhibition in the mid 1990’s. 
                        ( Peter Danks does not approve of the quality of these drawings though. )

b) National Maritime Museum

Also in the mid 1990’s I spent £60 on a set of drawings from the archives.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Ellerby

Francis Macnaughton
                        Participant
                          @francismacnaughton39461

Thanks Stephen,

that is useful for future reference.

Francis Macnaughton

STEPHEN ELLERBY
                          Participant
                            @stephenellerby70951
                            Francis,

Are you a current member of Model Boats Magazine ?

Over the years I have bought about 36 copies of the magazine and am currently not a member.  

I believe a current member has access to the electronic copies in the archive.

I would really appreciate it if you would be able to check the index pages of Model Boats from October 1995 to December 1996 to see if HMS Myrmidon is listed if that would not be too much trouble.

I have contacted magazine exchange twice and it seems that they are not really interested in physically checking the paper copies even though I would buy the copies from them.

I have also tried to trace Peter Danks via a Scottish Model Boat Club but as yet have no response.

I have arranged wityh the Grimsby Model Boat Club to meet them over Christmas and possibly just might be allowed to go through their store of old boat magazines but doing an electronic check on-line would be so much easier.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Ellerby

P.S. If you are interested in making the boat then I would recommend that you buy the Model Engineer drawings which from a cursory glance look good enough to me.

STEPHEN ELLERBY
                            Participant
                              @stephenellerby70951

Francis,

I posted a reply earlier but somehow it didn’t register so this time I decided to save it on the PC first and only then paste it into the Forum reply.

I am currently not a member of Model Boats but over the years I have bought about 36 copies of the magazine.

I believe current members have access to the archive of old magazines.

If you are currently a member I would be really appreciate if you would be able to check the contents page for HMS Myrmidon in the issues from October 1995 to December 1996 inclusive.

I will then buy those issues from Model Boats Magazine.

I have already tried to find Peter Danks via an internet search and found he was associated with the Scottish HRSMS model boat club in 2005.

I have also twice contacted Magazine Exchange but they are slow to reply even though my request could result in the purchase of several back issues from them.

If you plan to go ahead with the build I suggest that you should first obtain a copy of the plans in the model engineer and see what you think of them.
                              I am not sure how I could provide you with a copy of those drawings from my set as they are A2 size.

Would A3 copies sellotaped together be acceptable ?

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Ellerby

Francis Macnaughton
                              Participant
                                @francismacnaughton39461
                                Stephen,

Sorry I am not a member and in fact if you haven’t already seen http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=35232 this thread  apparently the records only go back to 2007.   For myself thanks for the offer but I was only really interested in establishing whether MYRMIDON plans were in a MB issue but it makes sense that it would be via the old MAP plan.

I have quite a few old copies myself but apart from the issue that had the photo etch article the only other one that has anything on MYRMIDON was one that I think you already have.

All I can suggest is keep looking out for old magazines – perhaps E-Bay?

Francis Macnaughton

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)