Gun Turret

Advert

Gun Turret

Home Forums Scratch build Gun Turret

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy Hustler
    Participant
      @andyhustler32076

At the mo i’m building a very large leander class frigate and would like some info/help on making the turret turn 180 degrees and  to raise and lower both barrels together .The space to play with isnt very much it’s 7.5cm square x 4.5cm in height .Any suggestions would be most appreciated,also i’m after a westland wessex wasp in 1/72 scale or a lynx in 1/72.Also keep it cheap as i’m out of work and most of this has been built for under a tenner ,at the mo !!!I’ve been very lucky to obtain a set of plans from another reader ,who’s name escapes me at the mo SORRY !!!

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577

Hi Andy

Mount the turret on a geared motor or on a heavy duty servo both of these will allow the turret to rotate through 180` you could also use a smaller servo to elevate and lower the barrels by connecting the servo to the rear of the barrels with a short linkage.

Just two ideas that spring to mind but I am sure that the warship builders will have better solutions.

Cheers

Paul

Andy Hustler
        Participant
          @andyhustler32076

Hi paul ,thats what i thought as well but am not 100% sure on the one in the turret but have a good idea on how 2.How about taking it 1 step more and makie the barrels fire a blank roud/charge sounds good and i recon the pyro whizz kids out therecould make it happen.

Paul T
          Participant
            @pault84577

Andy

I am afraid that the pyrotechnics are way beyond me but the servo operating the barrel elevation is straight forward, If the turret were on its side the action of the barrels going up and down could be visualised as a rudder and in that case the linkage and operation become easier to understand.

Hope this helps

Paul

Andy Hustler
            Participant
              @andyhustler32076

No worres m8 will give it a shot when finances permit

Guido Sambucetti
              Participant
                @guidosambucetti90794

Hi Andy,

It seems a bit too much to cram in a 1/72 gun turret, but good luck! If you are in need of space (and I`d bet you are) you can make the guns swivel freely and add a barbette on the deck with an inclined edge. This would elevate the guns as the turret turns, albeit always the same elevation pointed a given bearing.

As for the blank cartridges, I don´t know how to do that, save with some kind of electric firing.

Airfix used to make both Wasp and Lynx models, try their homepage or ebay.co.uk.

Enjoy your model!

Telstar
                Participant
                  @telstar

Hi Andy
                  Last week I visited a wind pump on the Fens, owned by the National Trust, and in working order. Inside watching the sails turn I remembered your original post of working gun turret.
                  So if you mount your turret on a pipe (hollow shaft)that is through the Deck, and attach a chainwheel under the deck, you could turn the turret with an indirect drive, ie chain, then passing a pushrod through the center of the pipe,it would need guides to hold it centeral, the push rod could push the guns down, while a small spring elevated them.
                  I have since made a few rough sketches and I think this could work without the need for a machine shop or without needing to buy expensive parts.

The chainwheel could be fabricated from wood just as the main gears in the wind pump, and just as their sail control is through the center of the shaft,so your elevation control could be.

Since most the mechanics is below decks the size of the turret is not critical. With the drive being by chain perhaps more than one turret could be turned at once.
                  I will try to post my rough sketch but I always seem to loose attachments. Perhaps you could let me send them via a PM
                  Cheer Tom

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/images/member_albums/2208/gun_turret1.jpg

Andy Hustler
                  Participant
                    @andyhustler32076

Thanks tom i will print it off and have a look ,my e mail adress is [email protected]

Andy Hustler
                    Participant
                      @andyhustler32076
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)