First build using the plans from the free plan of osprey

Advert

First build using the plans from the free plan of osprey

Home Forums Beginners First build using the plans from the free plan of osprey

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mick east
    Participant
      @mickeast46851

Been a modeller most of my life all 70 plus years of it , mainly model train lay outs and dabbling in rc model planes. I did build a billings kit ( nord cap ) about 30 odd years ago but this is the first time I've built from a modified plan and I'm pleased with the result considering the mistakes I made along the way . A little bit of back ground l live in Brisbane Australia and whilst on holiday ( pre covid) in hobart i was taken with the Cray boats and vowed that I would attempt to build a model one . Forward a few years and I was browsing the modeling section of my local newsagents a I saw the cover of model boats with the picture of the Osprey on it and decided with a bit of modification to the hull it would make a fairly good interpretation of a Cray boat

Lady jane

Lady jane

Advert
      mick east
      Participant
        @mickeast46851

Tasmainian cray boat

Dave Cooper 6
        Participant
          @davecooper6

Looks like a nice job Mick.

Quite high 'windage' with the roof over the cabin I'd have thought. Perhaps a bit of extra ballast will sort that out….assuming, of course, it's to go on the water rather than just be a display model.

Nice to have some correspondents from 'down under'.

Happy modelling,

Dave

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

What a lovely model and just goes to show what you can do when you get creative with the free plans. Ray will be pleased that someone has made something of his plan.

I would send those pictures to the editor of the magazine who, I'm sure, will put them in the readers models section.

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

img_20200328_152024.jpgG'Day Mick,

Yes you have produced a jolly good version of your Cray boat , and to think it came from a jigsaw puzzle picture

Keep up the good work down under !!

Regards Ray

(img_20200423_182324.jpgFor anybody not familiar with the free plan, here's my version before painting

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 12/01/2023 14:58:15

mick east
              Participant
                @mickeast46851
                Posted by Dave Cooper 6 on 12/01/2023 10:34:48:

Looks like a nice job Mick.

Quite high 'windage' with the roof over the cabin I'd have thought. Perhaps a bit of extra ballast will sort that out….assuming, of course, it's to go on the water rather than just be a display model.

Nice to have some correspondents from 'down under'.

Happy modelling,

Dave

I thought that that might be a problem too but fiddling with the ballast (she now sits just below the original water line )she responds to the controls very realistically and I was well pleased with her performance after the first shake down water test.

mick east
                Participant
                  @mickeast46851
                  Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 12/01/2023 14:57:31:

img_20200328_152024.jpgG'Day Mick,

Yes you have produced a jolly good version of your Cray boat , and to think it came from a jigsaw puzzle picture

Keep up the good work down under !!

Regards Ray

(img_20200423_182324.jpgFor anybody not familiar with the free plan, here's my version before painting

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 12/01/2023 14:58:15

Thanks for the encouragement Ray .I deviated from your plan by skinning the hull in 2mm ply (wasn't that a lot of fun trying to get the ply to do things it definitely didn't want to do) and adding a rounded transom. But having the templates for the hull frames and was a amazing help and I must admit after completing the hull I wad very tempted to build the model as the I sorry.. I am now looking forward to my next build, a scratch build of a chriss craft speed boat using some Australian exotic veneers on the hull and decks ..

Regards to all from sunny bribie island Australia

mick east
                  Participant
                    @mickeast46851

That was ment to say Osprey not I sorry .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)