Colony Class cruiser

Advert

Colony Class cruiser

Home Forums Scratch build Colony Class cruiser

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bernard Allen
    Participant
      @bernardallen88612

Hi,

A couple of months ago, I decided to build the above model as published in Model Boats April 2004.

I am now coming to the end of most of the superstructure before starting on the deck fittings.

I wish also to  wish to show  a number of portholes.

Glynn Guest’s plan and photos show portholes but detail isn’t sufficient to show whether they are just black dots as a representation or actual drilled holes.

Thanks for reading this.

Advert
      ashley needham
      Participant
        @ashleyneedham69188

Bernard.My modelling at home is of the "fit it in where you can" school of boatbuilding. I like the "glynn Guest" method, as most of his designs are stand-off scale, and you put in as much or little detail as to your personal taste. I seem to recall this feature, cant remember the porthole bit, but would take an educated (or not) guess that they were dots. I think regardless of what was on the plans you should do what you think you will be happiest with at the end of the day. My Titanic only has painted on dots (in fact they are marker pen via a template!)and squares for the windows and portholes, looks fabulous floating on the pond, not so clever close up…but there again I didnt spend hours and weeks doing it! Ashley

Len Ochiltree
        Participant
          @lenochiltree67043

Hi Bernard,

You will feel better if you drill out the portholes,ifyou just paint them you will always wonder if only………

Len.

Bernard Allen
          Participant
            @bernardallen88612

Thanks for that Len, this is what I thought and would probably look better as well.

I have found out that the published pictures show black gloss paint dots. Bernard.

Bernard Allen
            Participant
              @bernardallen88612

HMS Tanganyika

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)