Building the topsail schooner Julia

Advert

Building the topsail schooner Julia

Home Forums Static modelling Building the topsail schooner Julia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

small schooner in sea.jpgA Utube slideshow – **LINK**

Edited By Bob Wilson on 07/02/2019 11:18:21

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

That's lovely Bob.

I am intrigued how you make the sea so realistic and what do you use for the rigging?

Tim R

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

Thanks. The sea can be made from Plasticine that has been shaped by rolling a large ballbearing over it, but the sea above was made from heat-formed polystyrene foam covered in crepe paper stuck on with wood glue to give it a better painting surface. The masts and spars are all brass and copper tube and rod. The rigging is fine copper wire. The methods are described in the article "Bellmore, Miniature Sailing Ship Modelling," that was published in two parts in Model Boats in December 2018 (Vol 68, No. 817) and Januray 2019 (Vol. 69 No. 818).

Bob

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

A beautiful model Bob. It always amazes me how much atmosphere your models can create being so small yet you really feel like you are there with it.

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

Thanks, They are not very popular amongst model shipbuilders though, and you seldom see anything similar these days. Here is a slide show of the building of the four-masted barque Donna Francisca –

Bob

**LINK**

Gary Hill 1
                Participant
                  @garyhill1

Exquisite modelling Bob, it's a pity they are not appreciated as much as they should. I'd be really proud if I could make a model of that quality.

Gary

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Bob, great work as always, is there a model ship building forum which caters for static ship building of the type you do, we couldn't and wouldn't call your work model boats ??

Regards Ray

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

There is the Ships of Scale forum that I have a section in, but there is very little interest in my section, so I have given up on it. I also have a Facebook group called Merchant Ships in Miniature if you are into Facebook. It has over 1,000 members and is very active with members from all over the world. The link is at the end of the Donna Francisca Utube video – above. You don't need to be a Facebook member to view the group, but only members can comment or add anything.

Bob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)