Assistance please on my Bowman Miss America

Advert

Assistance please on my Bowman Miss America

Home Forums Steam powered models Assistance please on my Bowman Miss America

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tony Matt
    Participant
      @tonymatt

Hello Everyone

I am new to this forum and new to steam powered boats. I have recently acquired a Bowman Miss America and I would like some help. I am not entirely sure of the year, but I am thinking it is from around 1927. It has lost style engine and is missing the piston. I am wondering if someone could advise me on how to find a replacement? I would also like some help with the burner. Where would I find replacement wicks and is methanol an equivalent fuel to ethanol? Methanol is easier to find here in Canada than denatured ethanol. What is recommended?

I will attach a couple of pictures

Thanks very much

Tony

Advert
      Tony Matt
      Participant
        @tonymatt
        Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.. I'm not much use with the Bowman but I can suggest that you use Methylated spirits as a fuel. I don't know if you can get it in Canada but it is common in the UK and many modellers use it to run liquid fuel powered steam models. I use it in a Saito burner successfully.

I don't know of a supplier of Bowman spares but I am also a member of a steam toy forum that deals with this kind of thing much more specifically and it may well be worth putting the same question up there:

Unofficial Mamod Forum

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Methylated Spirits in the UK is also known as denatured alcohol.

Colin

Tony Matt
            Participant
              @tonymatt

Thanks very much Richard. I am most definitely going to post on that forum as well.

Thanks Colin. Denatured alcohol is difficult to get here, much easier to get methanol or also called methyl hydrate.

Thanks again

Tony

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)