All my model boat builds history

Advert

All my model boat builds history

Home Forums Build Blogs All my model boat builds history

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Bob Abell 2
    Participant
      @bobabell2

The Ellie build went on for months and months

There were a few small errors on the drawings, which needed explaining to the other builders

The model sailed really nice as seen on the action photos

Later, the model was fitted with a Brushless motor and it went like a Cat on a Hot Tin Roof!

There are pictures of the action and will post later, when found

Bob

sail-1.jpg

sail-4.jpg

sail-1.jpg

canopy retracted.jpg

can 1.jpg

cabin with veneer.jpg

cabin lifted.jpg

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943

I've decided to give up building model boats!

Chris

Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2

During the build of Ellie. I had in surplus stock, the superstructure from an earlier build, a twice full size version of Slo Mo Shun. I had the idea of building a speedboat, using the hull from the Ellie Model and the Slo Mo stuff.

There was pandemonium on the thread!. One angry reader, who shall be nameless, even though most of us know him. thought the idea was absurd etc etc etc

You can see the embryo stage of the idea, during the Ellie build and it gradually reached fruition!

Slo Mo 2 was born!

It stared life with sponsons and standard MFA motors, but finished up with twin brushless stix of dynamite!

I still posses this model. Note the photos are in reverse order

There is a part two to this build, showing the progress of the creation

Bob

planing.jpg

spon 1.jpg

spon 1.jpg

wired up.jpg

try out 2.jpg

twin setup.jpg

wip2.jpg

wip1.jpg

Bob

wip1.jpg

timg
          Participant
            @timg12590

Hi Bob

Great idea to have a record of the model's you have built, and very impressive with what you have posted so far .

I have always wanted to build a Louis Heloise, I do have the plans but that's as far I have got. How long did the build take you ? And are there any parts that are difficult . I will probably build something a little easier before I give it ago.

Thanks

Timg

timg
            Participant
              @timg12590

Hi Bob

Great idea to have a record of the model's you have built, and very impressive with what you have posted so far .

I have always wanted to build a Louis Heloise, I do have the plans but that's as far I have got. How long did the build take you ? And are there any parts that are difficult . I will probably build something a little easier before I give it ago.

Thanks

Timg

Bob Abell 2
              Participant
                @bobabell2

Hello TIMG

The model is very chunky and solidly built

The designer Andre Morou or something like that, never sailed the finished craft, as I discovered on completion of my model.

The molten lead poured into a recess in the keel is nowhere near enough to balance the boat

I built a bolted on keel weight of about 9 lbs

If you fancy the build make a start and if you have a problem, just shout out

You will need a build thread for chatting

Bob

Paul T
                Participant
                  @pault84577

Hello Captain Bob

You were very brave to undertake a 'warts and all' build of a completely new and untested design, I was very glad that you agreed to do the build and your practical input allowed me to expand the design by adding two different styles of superstructure.

SeaSpray is a twin engine fast fisher and this example was built by the late Dave Milbourn.

image 11.jpg

Red Leader is a triple engine MTB.

red leader 01.jpg

Paul

Bob Abell 2
                  Participant
                    @bobabell2

Thank you Paul for your input. Two nice models, based on your original Ellie design

Slo Mo 2 is really a contender to the genre

We had great fun with these builds

Bob the Builder

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

I purchased the Billings kit of Slo Mo Shun and scaled it up, twice the size to produce a most impressive model.

It had two large unknown motors from Action Controls with four sticks of batteries, two super duper racing props and the circuit was designed by DM.

What could go wrong?

The build was very impressive and roared like angry beast but it just couldn`t get it on the Plane and I don`t mean an aeroplane!

I tried for weeks, messing with the hull shape with steps etc, but no improvement

It was eventually scrapped. but the superstructure was used for Slo Mo 2 as previously described and the gear was sold off I needed the space

Phew!

Slo Mo Truck

Final assembly

A few pictures

Rc drawer

bow wave

Batteries

WIP

5TH TEST

5TH TEST

5TH TEST

Bob Abell 2
                      Participant
                        @bobabell2

Continuation of my Loco builds

My third loco was the part built Midland Single, Princess of Wales by Martin Evans

There are no photos of the build, but I do have an accurate free hand sketch of our lounge

The Loco can be seen on the bookcase on a length of track

p o w.jpg

Richard Simpson
                        Participant
                          @richardsimpson88330

A man of many talents Bob!

Paul T
                          Participant
                            @pault84577

Hi Richard

You only know the half of it.

Before model boats Bob built steam trains and rc aircraft, he is a skilled artist and a very accomplished astronomer having built a professional observatory in his back garden.

He is the epitome of the true renascence man and skilled in everything he puts his mind to, in a previous age he would have been building canals, pushing railways through unforgiving terrain or building huge steamships.

I wasn't joking in previous postings when I described him as Bob Brunel.

Paul

Bob Abell 2
                            Participant
                              @bobabell2

Thank you Paul for your flattering comments

Slightly embarrassing of course,

The thread was intended to be the history of my model boat builds, but we keep getting side tracked onto other subjects

I don`t mind really.

You mention my Astronomy activities, in which I was active for ten years

I do have a mind blowing experience that was out of this world!

Ahem…….Just clearing my throat. This is a gob smacking story without a doubt

To cut a long story short.

On March 18th 1993, I spotted a brilliant streaming Comet close to Jupiter! Note the date, as it is very important.

It was so exciting, I got my friends and relatives to come and see it, I even phoned my mate Phil Stone,the telescope maker but he wasn`t at home. Another important fact that will be obvious, later on , Next day I phoned the Astronomy Now magazine, of which, Patrick Moore was the Editor in Chief, to talk about the Comet. They wasn`t aware of a Comet………???????….eh?

According to my diary, the Comet was visible for months!

Eventually, I forgot about the Comet and life carried on as normal

For months after, the Comet was closing in on Jupiter and eventually collided!

Sorry chaps I will leave the story for a few hours, Going to Etherow for a walk round.

Bob Abell 2
                              Participant
                                @bobabell2

Back now after a nice walk about

Moving quickly on…..

The following year, there was a programme on TV about the Comet Story and it mentioned that the Comet was spotted by Shoemaker on March the 25th 1993

So out of curiosity, I got my diary out and I had spotted it a week earlier on March 18th 1993

Just think, chaps, if only Phil Stone had answered his phone that night?

It doesn`t bear thinking about

Sir Robert Abell sounds quite nice?

In the words of Fred Dibnah…….." DID YOU LIKE THAT?"

Bob

Colin Bishop
                                  @colinbishop34627

Following this topic with much interest Bob. You are an example to us all!

Colin

Bob Abell 2
                                  Participant
                                    @bobabell2

Thank you Coilin, I`m very pleased you liked it. it has given me the encouragement to post a few relevant photo`s

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                                    Participant
                                      @bobabell2

A few Astronomy pictures for general interest

local cutting.jpg

Local Rag Newspaper cutting

Bob Abell 2
                                      Participant
                                        @bobabell2

Garden view

observatory.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                        Participant
                                          @bobabell2

Primitive photo through Telescope lens using a Pentax MX film camera!

The large object on the RHS is Jupiter with a Moon close by

That feint smear on the left is the Comet

I think I used about 10 secs exposure time

On the night in question, I tried to spot the rest of Jupiters moons which can`t be seen normally, so I swung the scope wider than normal. into the unknown and spotted the streaming Comet. I just stood there, unable to believe what I was seeing, such a magic moment. I hadn`t used the scope for several months and just assumed it was a common sight at the time. When I came to my senses, I showed it to the Missus and Rosie the Dog

my comet picture-1000.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                          Participant
                                            @bobabell2

The Diaries of my daily activities, which I still have

I later reported my story to the British Astronomical Society and they simply didn`t believe me

Bob

comet diary.jpg

Paul T
                                            Participant
                                              @pault84577

Bob

Whilst travelling down memory lane could you post a picture of the railway scene that you painted?

Paul

Richard Simpson
                                              Participant
                                                @richardsimpson88330

Most people have the greenhouse in their back garden, Bob has an observatory as well!

Brilliant. I think you should have got some sort of recognition for spotting it but that's the establishment for you.

Bob Abell 2
                                                Participant
                                                  @bobabell2

I think so too, Richard

But it was my own fault really because, to claim a Comet discovery, one needs an independent witness and that is why I tried to phone Phil Stone. He would have been the perfect partner

Just water under the bridge. eh?

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bobabell2

Is this the picture, Paul?

Bob

bluebell line.jpg

Tim Rowe
                                                    Participant
                                                      @timrowe83142

And Bob you have a pond.

They are quite difficult in Mallorca but not impossible.

My grandad was a loco builder and had an up and down track in his garden in Claygate, Surrey. It was 7 1/4" and there was a bridge over a lovely established pond. I still have the scent of the water mint in my nose whenever I want to conjure it up. I always had my own pond for that reason until I left the UK in 2007.

Possibly the best smell in the world is hot working steam oil, fired by some genuine Welsh steam coal and garnished with a bit of mint.

Three cheers for this thread.

Tim R

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 92 total)