9 11

Advert

9 11

Home Forums Soapbox 9 11

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paul T
    Participant
      @pault84577

Its 20 years since that terrible attack on the twin towers, how many others remember exactly what they were doing when you heard the news. I was on a regeneration site, Henry Street in Liverpool about to survey the old Bridewell on Campbell St.

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577

Sad Day

Tim Cooper
        Participant
          @timcooper90034

I was at work at the Boots Site in Beeston Nottingham. The Factory Plumber stopped to tell me about the first plane strike.

Tim

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

I was in the engine room of a cruise ship that had just backed into a floating dry dock in Norfolk Virginia. We were tied up and in the dock but still floating. I watched most of the events on a TV in the crew mess room as the surreal story unfolded. The yard was in one of the biggest American Naval bases on the North East coast so naturally we were pretty concerned as regards staying and going dry or getting out of there as quickly as possible. The yard gates were closed and our colleagues had to wait outside the gates for many hours before they were let in.

Eventually we went dry after many hours of indecision but came out of the dry dock two weeks later to a very different industry and world.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 10/09/2021 13:12:33

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

The anniversary is tomorrow, 11 Sept.

Mrs B and I were in San Diego after driving town the West Coast Highway from San Francisco. We were due to fly to Las Vegas for a few days and then catch our flight home. With all planes grounded for several days we ended up driving over the desert to Vegas via LA which took around six hours and was VERY hot.

Our flight back to London was one of the first out when avaiation resumed.

The Americans just couldn't believe what was happening and the collision footage and fall of the towers was screened pretty much 24/7 for a couple of days. The telephone system pretty much locked up too and it took us a while to get permission from the San Francisco office to take our hire car to Las Vegas and leave it there.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 10/09/2021 13:49:23

redpmg
              Participant
                @redpmg

Watching it all unfold on TV in the partners lounge of KPMG Johannesburg – very little work done by anyone in the firm that day . Not had such a shock since hearing about JFK in Dallas – affected all of us the same way – shock & outrage.

A friend of my ex was working for either Rowland Ward or Holland & Holland ( memory fails me) at the time – just a block away and got a close up view . Samantha fled back to the UK on the earliest flight – would never talk about it except to say she was terrified at the time.

Paul T
                Participant
                  @pault84577

Hi Colin

To explain, I didn't want to appear insensitive by posting my comments on the 11th, I wanted to mark the occasion as it was both a terrible event and a pivotal point in history.

Paul

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

There is no doubt about it Paul, the world changed on that day.

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

We were on hols in the IOW, and caught some of it on telly before we went out for dinner.

A surreal viewing experience indeed. There was a program on the telly a few nights ago, footage from peoples cameras and phones and so on.

Harrowing stuff.

Ashley

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

I watched that as well Ashley, I thought it was very well put together and gave a really powerful insight into the entire day.

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

The traumatic effect to the USA is that it brought organised terrorism to the Homeland when previous attacks had targeted US forces abroad.

We were actually in Tijuana on a day trip tp Mexico when the attack took place and on returning to San Diego we saw elements of the Navy putting to sea on an emergency basis. Panic stations all around.

At that time in the UK we had become familar with IRA bomb attacks but the concept of America itself being directly attacked was something that Americans found it hard to deal with.

Colin

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

i was sat on my mobile library on Caryl Road St Annes listening to Classic FM, wondering why i had had no customers on a busy stop, when a news flash came on the radio, saying what had happenned.

the horror of it and the thoughts that were ging through my mind i left a notice on the lamp post saying due to unfolding circumstances i had closed for the day, rang St Annes library and told them i was going off line, and drove home.

i found it so horrifying i have never watched the news reports since, as the images are vivid enough in my mind to last a lifetime anyway…horrible people.

Barry Gibson
                            Participant
                              @barrygibson15259

Not to forget the other 9-11 attack. What a world we live in sad

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)