1/40 scale KD Perkasa

Advert

1/40 scale KD Perkasa

Home Forums Gallery 1/40 scale KD Perkasa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dave Milbourn
    Participant
      @davemilbourn48782

This is the super-detailed prototype of a forthcoming SLEC kit. It's about 30" long (750mm) and will run on a 2835/9T 900kv outrunner motor. The model shown has 3D-printed guns, bridge fittings and flare launchers – these will NOT be included in the kit but are all available from Shapeways! I can't say when the kit will be released as there's a lot of work still to do on the documentation. Please don't address any queries about it to SLEC just yet – I'd suggest that early next year would be a more likely date.

There are more photos in the album.

pic 01a.jpg

Dave M

Advert
      Dave Milbourn
      Participant
        @davemilbourn48782
        Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Hi Dave

This is a very nice model and very well built, the detail in the wheelhouse is stunning especially the pigeon holes for the flags.

But is the deck the correct shade of green?smiley (sorry but no rivets to count)

Paul

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Deck looks about right to me.

Colin

Paul T
            Participant
              @pault84577

Hello Colin

There are very few model builders that I rate as an expert and Dave is in the top three, but as this isn't a Fairey I had to find something wrong with it or Dave would think that I had gone soft.

Paul

Cookie
              Participant
                @cookie15923

Looks good Dave , be nice to see a shot of the front lower bridge window details window frames and wipers ect , they are so difficult to get right as i knoooow

Dave

Dave Milbourn
                Participant
                  @davemilbourn48782

Paul

I had two tinlets of Humbrol Uniform Green #76 left over from Sentinel, so that's what it got. #88 Deck Green always looked a bit wishy-washy to me. Many thanks for the promotion into the top three – I'll may get it completely right one day.

Cookie

I didn't figure you for a rivet-counter! If you buy one and want that level of detail then be my guest, m'duck. I'm afraid that window frames at that scale would defeat me, and if I can't make a decent job of something then I'd rather leave it off. Like many scale models, you can carry on adding things until they start to look cluttered – unless you're Stan Reffin. He's in my top three.

Dave M

John W E
                  Participant
                    @johnwe

hi there

nice model Dave, well built. I think we need to buy somebody a book on nautical terms try flag locker. Personally, its a very nice model. I am surprised that SLEC has chosen this model to go into production, unless of course its just going to be a limited run. As we all know there are numerous kits out there with this model and I cannot see it making a great impact because it is such a select field. The one thing that has been done is there is a good flag ship model by Dave to promote it and if they have the right photographs on the advertising – it should do a lot to help sell this model. The only thing I can ask is, not having seen the internals, could this be converted into say twin or triple screw – as in the original? without too much butchering of the inside?

From my recollections, the colour green that Dave has is roughly about the right shade after me walking on a good few naval 'green' decks. or, should I say after the paint had been chipped off and you saw the original colour of the decks.

John

Paul T
                    Participant
                      @pault84577

Hello John

'Flag Locker' I knew that there had to be a correct nautical term to describe the pigeon holes but I just couldn't remember it.

The reason for commenting on this particular piece of the build was the impressive 'crispness' of its construction, every little square is perfectly formed without the rounded internal corners caused by drips after overenthusiastic painting.

It is this level of attention to detail that puts Dave in my top three builders.

Paul

Dave Milbourn
                      Participant
                        @davemilbourn48782

John

I don't get to chose the kits which SLEC want to produce – or ask why. In this case John Rudd had already started this version when he died in 1999, so Ian Hull asked me to continue with it some 20 years on. Bear in mind that the two Precedent/Anglian Models kits went out of production some years ago, as did the Nautical Marine Models version, so there's not much competition left. It will take twin or triple screws – whatever the builder wants to do.

DM

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

It's like the Faireys. The basic kit will give you something better than near scale and more ambitious builders can add enhancements to improve the realism even further.

You could never really do that with an Aerokit, good as they were.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 22/07/2020 14:15:24

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)