Vintage Model Yacht Group

Advert

Vintage Model Yacht Group

Home Forums Sailing Models Vintage Model Yacht Group

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1

When I try to see what's what with the world of vintage yachting I check the above's website. Then I realise that they haven't updated the damned thing since 2015! What the hell is going on with this bunch of apparently affable old duffers? Anybody know? Have they all croaked?

I really think if you're going to set yourself up in a rapidly growing field you should at least update every month and if you can't, give it to somebody who can!

A superb example is onthewire,com. Every month, bang on, the site is updated.

Come on VMYG, get with it so we can find out where "our" kind of boats are being sailed.

Right now, with the season starting, I haven't a clue!

Martin

Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1
        Gareth Jones
        Participant
          @garethjones79649

Martin,

I agree the VMYG website is not often updated. However it's quite easy to see when and where the programmed events are, if you follow the link on the home page of their website. Here is the current list **LINK**

One minor change, if you were thinking of coming to the next Northern area meeting, it has been rescheduled and will take place this Sunday, 22nd May, not next Sunday as advertised. It has been rearranged to coincide with Grimsby and Cleethorpes Model Boat Club's regatta which also takes place in Sidney Park Cleethorpes.

Gareth

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Alas Gareth, Cleethorpes is way too far to go and it seems there are never any meetings in East Anglia. Despite the beautiful ponds at Norwich and Dovercourt. Is Dovercourt still there?<G>

But the question remains…why don't they update the site more frequently?

Martin

Martin Field 1
            Participant
              @martinfield1

Surely they don't have a meeting on Christmas Day!

Martin

Gareth Jones
              Participant
                @garethjones79649

Martin,

I don't know why the website is not updated very often but I suspect its down to the same reasons many organisations struggle to keep going – the very small number of people willing and able to give up their time to do the necessary work. Also, with the VMYG, it cannot be easy to keep track of what is going on among a disparate membership scattered all over the country.

You could always ask the VMYG webmaster himself if you really want to know (contact details are on the website)

Gareth

Martin Field 1
                Participant
                  @martinfield1

I could, Gareth, but why would I bother? I'll only get excuses and I can't go to any of their dos, so why give him any more grief?

I can't help thinking back to the tether guys who run onthewire.com and never fail to update a far more disparate bunch who are not even members as such. Never mind. I was rather hoping to get some advice on rigging my old Marblehead and on my ancient electrics. But I can't justify travelling half way round the country to find out!

Martin

Ian Jopson
                  Participant
                    @ianjopson21383
                    Posted by Martin Field 1 on 20/05/2016 19:10:29:

Alas Gareth, Cleethorpes is way too far to go and it seems there are never any meetings in East Anglia. Despite the beautiful ponds at Norwich and Dovercourt. Is Dovercourt still there?<G>

But the question remains…why don't they update the site more frequently?

Martin

If you're in East Anglia, near Woodbridge, why not try them? they have quite a comprehensive sailing schedule, though I think their website suffers the same problem.

Martin Field 1
                    Participant
                      @martinfield1

Woodbridge? Never heard of them as a vintage group and still a bit of a trek. OK for an occasional run out I suppose. I'll look them up, thanks Ian.

Martin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)