Triang Minic Ships

Advert

Triang Minic Ships

Home Forums Static modelling Triang Minic Ships

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Alan Poole
    Participant
      @alanpoole81825
      Hi everyone,
       Although my main interest is in R/C model boats, I have recently found some old (1960s) models that I had as  a youngster. They are the Triang ships that were only produced from about 1958 – 1964. Scale 1/1200 They are splendid little items and are now quite collectable. I have started to collect them again along with the harbours and piers that were also in the series.
       Are there any other collectors out there?, I would like to correspond with any like minded modellers, I’m sure that there must be some amongst the readership of Model Boats.
      Regards  Alan..
      Advert
      Alan Poole
      Participant
        @alanpoole81825
        Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2
          Hello Alan
          I`m not a collector, but I`ve always liked those little waterline models, why don`t you post a few pictures with comments please?

Regards Bob
          Alan Poole
          Participant
            @alanpoole81825

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the speedy reply, I have now got most of the warships that were produced but some of the merchant ships are rare and becoming expensive. As an example, they produced two ships, Franconia and Carmania in limited numbers and these can fetch  2-3 hundred pounds, needless to say I do not have these little gems in my collection. Most of the others can be bought on e-bay or at toy fairs for a more reasonable cost.
            I have tried to post a picture of the catalogue but am having a few problems, not sure how to get pics onto the thread, any help appreciated.
             Cheers for now
            Regards  Alan…
            Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627
              Alan,

Have a look at the FAQ on the Homepage which tells you how to get pictures onto the Forum.

I used to collect the Triang range as a boy and had everything they ever produced including the rare Carmania and Aquitania. I sold the collection many years ago and bought German 1:1250 liner models instead of which I now have quite a good collection which sits in a couple of glass cases on the living room wall.

Colin
              Bob Abell 2
              Participant
                @bobabell2
                Hello Alan and Colin

For some reason, I can`t post picturesat the moment, but take a look at this little lot, which is also in my “Other boats” gallery….    http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/165289

It`ll bring tears to any  tiny boat collectors eyes!………..You have been warned!

Bob
                ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

I have a very modest collection of Minic ships, half of which are the new modern navy range. Along this train of thought..they make a U,S task force with a whacking great aircraft carrier the overall cost of which must be made up 90% of the weight of metal!   I also have a collection of the Corgi Sea-king range of ships which are fun, along with the large boxed plastic harbour set they made for them. These have been re-released by some Chinese production using mostly the original moulds but with more realistic paint jobs. The lad likes the Sea King ships, mostly because he is not allowed to play with the Minic ones unless under supervision (for daddies only!)    Captain Ashley

Alan Poole
                  Participant
                    @alanpoole81825
                    Hi again,
                     Well I hope that I have successfully cracked the photo insertion issue, thanks to all who helped here.
                     This picture shows the front page of the second edition Triang Minic Ships catalogue 1960. It contains details of most of the range available then.

I will now attempt to get some more pictures of these little 1/1200 model ships posted.
                     Regards  Alan..

Edited By Alan Poole on 13/04/2009 15:40:45

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627
                      Oh yes, I remember that well! And do you see the little “strop” falling away as the plane is launched? I remember being told at the time that these cost £7 each!

Colin
                      Bob Abell 2
                      Participant
                        @bobabell2
                        Alan

Did they produce any paddle boats?

Bob

PS………………Just had a look and they did…………..Thanks anyway

Edited By Bob Abell on 13/04/2009 16:22:53

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627
                          Bob,

Yes, there were three, Brighton Queen, Cardiff Queen and Bristol Queen.

Colin
                          Alan Poole
                          Participant
                            @alanpoole81825

Ashley,

The modern navy series is an interesting story. Although I can’t buy them locally, I have collected most of them. I noted that there was a limited edition set of modern RN ships with the ships name and limited edition cast into the underside of the models. Pennant numbers were also added. I chased up finding these models for my collection but was told that they were no longer in production, I eventually managed to get a complete set sent from Hong Kong by Charles Shave, he is the new owner of Triang Minic Ships
                             The production run was supposed to have been  500 complete sets but quality control caused only 350 sets to be released. You can find odd limited edition models that were intended for the complete sets and these have been released for sale individually, but they are obviously rare as there would have been no more than 500 made.The complete sets come with a numbered certificate of authenticity. These models should become much sought after in the future!
                            As well as the RN ships, there is a range of Modern US navy ships as you mention and also four modern merchant vessels.
                            Regards  Alan
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)