To braid or not to braid…?

Advert

To braid or not to braid…?

Home Forums R/C & Accessories To braid or not to braid…?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    M Harvey
    Participant
      @mharvey34888

I'm connecting a Torpedo 800 electric motor to my boat and was wondering if it is better to use braided wire or single core?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Michael

Advert
      M Harvey
      Participant
        @mharvey34888

What is the best wire to use for connecting a motor?

Malcolm Frary
        Participant
          @malcolmfrary95515

Assuming that braided wire means stranded flexible wire, rather than the unlamented Litz wire that was always a total pig to terminate or the stuff found as the outer shield on co-ax and similar.

Flexible wire, by its nature, flexes. It absorbs vibration and allows you to work around it easily. Rigid bits, like soldered terminations benefit from added stress relief such as heat shrink sleeve over the area where it transitions from solid (solder) to flexible.

Solid single core does an admirable job of putting the electric where it s needed, but does not like vibration. It either provides a weak spot that eventually breaks or transmits the force into whatever it is terminates to, which might, in turn, provide the weak spot.

Working in the vicinity of wire, flexible lets you move the wire out of the way, solid doesn't, or at least, not easily.

M Harvey
          Participant
            @mharvey34888

Thank you for this exemplary reply. Completely makes sense…

Michael

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Braided cable also holds solder much better as it soaks in between the strands giving a stronger joint.

Just think of it as your home installation.  You use flex where flexibility is needed i.e. on appliances, but you use single core where the installation is permanent i.e. the socket and lighting circuits.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 29/04/2021 13:39:28

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

And if you need to buy some cable go for the silicone covered for added flexibility.

Chris

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

Ordinary round electrical cable (inner wire) does it for me mostly. Nice coloured wires and very cheap.

Torpedo 800 not drawing a lot of amps.

Ashley

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)