Tips on restoration of the hull

Advert

Tips on restoration of the hull

Home Forums Sailing Models Tips on restoration of the hull

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rune Marthinsen
    Participant
      @runemarthinsen72556

Hi guys.

I have just got myself an old wooden sailing ship from about the year 1890.
      I know almost nothing about the sailing ship, except that it is most likely from Brazil and that it needs a lot of restoration.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any tips regarding restoration the hull.
      Sees that there is copper under the "antifouling".
      Should I get the copper out or apply new plaster and then paint?

In the bow on the starboard side, the hull is repaired with lead.
      Have not yet decided what I will do with this.

Sees that the keel is clad with lead.
      Should I remove this or do something else with the lead?

I hope you have some tips for me on what I should do.

Thanks

2021-12-06 12.13.11.jpg2021-12-06 12.13.23.jpg2021-12-06 12.14.21.jpg

2021-12-06 13.27.34.jpg2021-12-06 13.51.35.jpg2021-12-06 13.51.44.jpg

Advert
      Rune Marthinsen
      Participant
        @runemarthinsen72556
        Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Rune,

Welcome to the forum, the answers here will largely depend on what you are hoping to achieve with the model ? It was obviously designed and built as an operational sailing model because of the depth of keel and the ballast. I personally think any work on the hull may detract from the old world charm it currently has as an antique, If you sort the mast, spars and sails out it would make a nice ornament ?? The rig looks on the small side of the size of the hull.

There many other options for making her sea worthy if that's your plan, let us know.

Regards Ray

Rune Marthinsen
          Participant
            @runemarthinsen72556

Hi Ray

Thank you for your feedback.

I have plans to get it restored and put it in a display case. So the plan is not to make it sea worthy.

I will think a little more about what I want to do with the hull.

I add two new photos to the keel

Regards Rune

2021-12-07 13.16.22.jpg

2021-12-07 13.16.00.jpg

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

This is a difficult call, as everyone here would do something different to that suggested by anyone else!

However, As a static model you do have more options as the finish needs to be not cosmetic.

Removing the patches (lead…or tin?.) MAY reveal damage requiring a lot of work.

Yo could almost simply make good the big damage, seal the hull with something, EzeKote for instance, and repaint it. This would retain a bit of the afore mentioned charm, and also be “reversible”, in that later on if you decided to do something better, the only changes you will have made to the fabric of the hull is to add paint,

Ashley

Rune Marthinsen
              Participant
                @runemarthinsen72556

Hi Ashley

I like the idea of leaving the patches on and rather repainting.
                Have not touched the patch yet so do not know yet if it is lead or tin.

Thanks for the feedback

Regards Rune

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi Rune,

At the moment as an antique it has a value, any work to the hull to re-finish it will make it just another non scale model boat with very little value, it currently has a patina of a bygone era shame to loss that ? but the choice is yours of course.

You could make a nice oak stand, and she would look a million dollars

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 07/12/2021 16:06:58

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

Rune. You see?. Ray has a different take on it, and a stance I would not agree or disagree with.

Unfortunately the value of anything is only what someone is prepared to pay for it, and I suspect that in a swanky “bygones and repro” shop, they would ask silly money for it, but getting the right buyer as a private individual is something else.

Ultimately you will be the one looking at it, so you need to do work on it on that basis.

Ashley

Chris E
                    Participant
                      @chrise

I agree with the above. What looks like an upgrade to some will look like vandalism to others.

I would suggest that you very carefully, but thoroughly, clean what you have got before making any decisions.

Rune Marthinsen
                      Participant
                        @runemarthinsen72556

Thank you all for the good feedback. I respect that there are different opinions. I've got something to think about now!
                        I have started by removing dust and cleaning. I have also had two of the masts repaired. There are many hours of work here.

Anyway, I'm not going to sell the sailing ship.

Regards Rune

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)