Tiny deadeyes

Advert

Tiny deadeyes

Home Forums Static modelling Tiny deadeyes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

This morning, I made 33 tiny deadeyes using 38 swg tinned copper wire. They are extremely small, and whether, or not, I will be able to successfully fit them to a miniature, remains to be seen! It was not all that difficult, or time-consuming, but I never thought I couldn't do it before I put my mind to figuring out how! cool Bob tiny deadeyes -  (large).jpg

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        Dave Milbourn
        Participant
          @davemilbourn48782

Beautiful work, Bob. I'm have to confess that the title of this thread made me think it was about POTUS… angry

DM

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

SNAP!

Colin

Banjoman
            Participant
              @banjoman

Bob,

Those deadeyes may be small, but they are things of true beauty!

Am I right in assuming that the 38 swg wire was used to simulate the ropes? If so, from what did you make the deadeyes themselves? And how will they be connected to the shrouds? Or do the "production" ones have longer free ends from which to make up the shrouds?

Dave,

Surely such a subject line would have required an additional comma and space?

Mattias

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

The deadeyes are small round paper punchings from telex tape. In years gone by, when I was sending telex messages on a regular basis, I felt that a bottle full of punchings would come in useful at some later date for model making. I saved a couple of hundred thousand of them!angel I blackened them by dumping them in black spirit dye. I wound the wire on a frame in groups of three, and stuck the punchings on with spots of white wood glue. After they were dry, I cut the outside wires off with a scalpel. I hope to be able to solder the top deadeye wires to the bottom of the wire shrouds. After they are fitted to the shrouds, I will lightly spray the whole lot black, so they should look better!

Don't really understand what you mean about the title. They are just Tiny deadeyes! blush

Bob

Dave Milbourn
                Participant
                  @davemilbourn48782

Surely such a subject line would have required an additional comma and space?

Mattias
                  As a native Swede who lives and works in Belgium your English is probably far more correct than mine, but I'm afraid that funny headlines don't always drop squarely into my lap. Some leeway is to be expected and permitted. In mitigation I can always point out that Admiral Bishop also latched onto the double-entendre.
                  BTW the beer has been left in my workshop since October and is now crystal clear. At what temperature is it best to drink?

Bob
                  Don't worry about it too much. It's just me trying to be funny….again….. (Google POTUS and see whose picture appears, then check out his tiny, dead eyes)

Anyone
                  Call the matron! They're getting unruly again!

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 03/01/2018 18:19:11

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

They penny dropped before you posted the above. I had no idea what Potus was either, but looked it up, and then connected it – Understand now! Bob face 1

Banjoman
                    Participant
                      @banjoman

Bob,

Good grief! Talk about foresight! Warmest thanks for the additional explanations of how your deadeyes were constructed!

Dave,

Sorry 'bout the wisecrack! The concept of leeway is indeed one with which anyone interested in boats, model and fullsize, must be familiar, and expected and permitted it should indeed be! If memory serves me, I rather think that I, too, have on previous occasions snatched at similar punning oportunities here on the forum …

For the beer question, please see PM (so not to hi-jack Bob's thread any further)!

Mattias

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)