The Cigarette

Advert

The Cigarette

Home Forums Build Blogs The Cigarette

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tim Rowe
    Participant
      @timrowe83142

Hello everyone

Is anyone building Ray's The Cigarette? Enough to make a pack would be great!

Tim R

Advert
      Tim Rowe
      Participant
        @timrowe83142

How many are out there

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

That would be 10 or 20 then for a pack??

Ashley

Tim Rowe
          Participant
            @timrowe83142

Aaah! The days of standing on tip-toe and asking for 10 No6

Something the millenials won't have appreciated.

Tim R

Tim Rowe
            Participant
              @timrowe83142

By the way, I am building 2 so there are 3 for sure.

Tim R

Bob Abell 2
              Participant
                @bobabell2

Can you please fill me in on this subject, I seem to have missed it?

Bob

Tim Rowe
                Participant
                  @timrowe83142

Hello Bob

It's a free plan Cary 32 sports boat famously called The Cigarette by Ray Wood. I don't have the magazine but I think it is the current issue. If Ray sees this he might post a picture because I haven't got that far yet.

Ashley has already suggested that one of mine should be called Vape but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Tim R

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

Bob. Ray has Another free plan in the mag 😎 and it is an offshore powerboat type called the “Cigarette”.

That is what we are talking about. I made a joke referencing the number of fags in a pack.

Ashley

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

OK, thanks Ashley

I shall look into it

Bob

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

cig18 starbd side.jpgHi All & Captain Bob

My first smoke's were Park Drive as you could buy a pack of 5

I built The Cigarette around Christmas time before lock down, so you can see how long the lead time is to get her published.

Back then I didn't do a build thread as I was keeping my power dry for the magazine ! but now I know how few readers are on this forum , I do the build threads anyway like Osprey, Eventide & Oldenburg which all may be published in the future if Lindsey wants them ??

Quite a few folk on this forum take the magazine on prescription so won't have the plans

Regards Raycig test 1.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 08/05/2021 10:49:43

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 08/05/2021 10:53:03

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

Thank you Ray

I did read the article somewhere

I used to get the mag from W H Smith, but lately, they don`t seem to stock it in Ashton near Manchester, anymore

Thanks for the info, Ray

Bob

Tim Rowe
                          Participant
                            @timrowe83142

Hello Ray

I think I will ask my doctor to put the magazine on prescription! Reckon it should relieve all my aches and pains very nicely! wink

Tim R

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

once saw the real boat, in a race off the south coast. was teaching down in maidenhead in the late 1970's and a fellow teacher and his friend were members of UKOBA as it was known then, but now known as UKOPBRA and they took me to a race in the Solent.

to say it was exciting was an understatement………….distant memories, but still remembered.

Chris Fellows
                              Participant
                                @chrisfellows72943

Thoughts were that I was unlikely to build one as I need to concentrate on my Faireys but having found that my latest race boat ScottFree isn't really suitable for our relatively small lake I might just build one as a race boat in the over 500mm class! I usually use plastic boats for racing but I could build it good and strong. Mmm, powerful brushless and water cooling!

It won't take as long as a Fairey as no planked deck and little detailing etc. But it's that time of year when I start doing other things so we shall have to see.

Chris

Richard Simpson
                                Participant
                                  @richardsimpson88330

Ray, my first packet of cigarettes was 5 Park Drive. I bought them from the paper shop where I worked so myself and my mate could look that bit older when we went into an 'X' rated movie at the ripe old age of 16! It was such a flea pit they would have let anyone in anyway!

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard, yes it's a quick build, but you will notice the keel shape shown is incorrect and should extend right to the bow !! my mistake for not spotting on the drawing, which shows you should never proof read your own work

Richard,

Yes when I started work at 16 I moved on to Senior Service !! the power of advertising the image ??

Yes the old days were better no ID's required I joined a working mans club in 1970 at 14 and Tartan bitter was 15d per pint

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
                                    Participant
                                      @timrowe83142

Clearly is was very important to have had a miss-spent yoof!

Tim R

Chris Fellows
                                      Participant
                                        @chrisfellows72943

You do realise I shall have to suffer those immortal words "You're not building another boat are you?" and where are you going to put it?". The latter I can't argue with as I have boats in various parts of the house at the moment including the two yachts in the lounge!

Chris

redpmg
                                        Participant
                                          @redpmg

As a colonial we had Star cigarettes in an 8 pack all yours for two and a half pennies – probably the floor sweepings from the factory . The country was one of the big tobacco growers – so even posh cigs with filters like Rothmans only cost one shilling and sixpence for a 30 pack in my teen years. So very long ago !. Believe filter cigs currently cost nearly R50 for a 20 pack.! – given  up smoking for many years now..

Would like to build a cigarette but as I already have more unfinished boats than I can probably complete dont believe I should start. Lovely boat though and a great design by Ray as usual.

Edited By redpmg on 09/05/2021 17:11:05

Jeff Lee
                                          Participant
                                            @jefflee88675

Great work Ray! I was wondering if the plan that you had used as a reference that you found on the internet was this plan **LINK** or another one?

Hope to attempt the build when I can get the materials.

Cheers!

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi Jeff,

I really cound'nt have called the Cigarette free plan in MB's my design if I had simply re-scaled somebody else's drawing in another publication ??

The side and plan views were sourced from the internet of the fullsize boat and scaled up to 26" long for 600 power but the sections/bulkheads shapes are my interpretation of the real Cary 32, I managed to get a reasonable drawing of the transom and outdrivescigarette planing.jpg so I knew I wasn't far out

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                                              Participant
                                                @richardsimpson88330

She planes beautifully Ray, well over half the hull out of the water.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)