Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Sailing barge

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Abell29/04/2014 16:49:45
8230 forum posts
2521 photos

I`ve been thinking about building a large Thames sailing barge for quite a few years now and an eight footer to me sounds very exciting!

Paul and Capt Bob have been swopping ideas today, so have decided to create a thread and take it from there

Just look at this beautiful example!

Such splendour, gracefulness and old world charm!

Imagine a model regatta with eight footers competing......An awesome sight?

My first suggestion is that a powerful motor would be required to act as a brake in emergencies!

Capt Bob

thames_barges-canthusus.jpg

Paul T29/04/2014 17:50:17
6654 forum posts
1100 photos
2 articles

I've already started the research

champion class.jpg

Bob Abell29/04/2014 18:23:01
8230 forum posts
2521 photos

Hello Paul

Well done, a nice start, but we need to be familiar with this very official website..........Modelbarge.info

It's run by Richard Chesney and is the quintessential website for model barges

Kimmosubby Shipyards is an active member

We don't want to invent the wheel or tread on anyone's toes either

We are only thinking out loud at the moment, but we ought to heed what these experienced builders have to say and take their advice?

I'm hoping we design a very competitive racing barge. Some of the commonly available model plans are deemed uncompetitive

Early days yet

Capt Bob

Edited By Bob Abell on 29/04/2014 18:25:11

Bob Wilson29/04/2014 18:56:46
1440 forum posts
249 photos

In 1962, I was sailing in an Everards motor ship (Frederick T. Everard) at a time when the company still had sailing barges!smiley

Bobsailing barge (large).jpg

Bob Abell29/04/2014 19:02:22
8230 forum posts
2521 photos

Nice model, Bob

When did they start painting the decks blue?.....It seems to be the norm these days, for some reason?

I believe some barges actually sailed in the Dunkirk evacuation.........They must have been very brave men

Bob

Bob Abell29/04/2014 19:08:51
8230 forum posts
2521 photos

This is the link to the model barge website....

**LINK**

Capt Bob

Paul T29/04/2014 19:23:38
6654 forum posts
1100 photos
2 articles

Bob

Its fairly easy to build in a competitive edge at the design stage by choosing lightweight materials and trimming weight by adopting an airframe style of construction.

But I presume that the chaps who race the 4ft versions must have some kind of rules regarding construction so this needs looking into first.

Paul

Bob Wilson29/04/2014 19:28:05
1440 forum posts
249 photos

I didn't know they painted the decks blue nowadays! Can't really remember for sure what colour they were when I saw them on a regular basis, but have a feeling they were just scrubbed wood!

Yes, they lost at least one at Dunkirk!

Bob

Bob Abell29/04/2014 19:55:57
8230 forum posts
2521 photos

Thank you, Bob

I`ll post some Blue pix shortly!

Paul

I`ve just joined the barge websight and asked a few questions

Some nice models on show too

Don`t fancy building light, as we`ve got nobody to race against!...........lol

The model we are talking about will be about 96" long x 20 " wide!.....Wow

Early days

Bob

Paul T29/04/2014 20:00:49
6654 forum posts
1100 photos
2 articles

Drawing Office to Bob

Don't confuse lightness with lack of strength wink

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Pendle Boilers
Shrek
Premier March
Premier Thursday
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor