Self Steering Mystery

Advert

Self Steering Mystery

Home Forums Sailing Models Self Steering Mystery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian Morrison
    Participant
      @brianmorrison58365
      Advert
      Brian Morrison
      Participant
        @brianmorrison58365

First time on forum, apologies in advance!

20210721_144709.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to hook up this mechanism, the model came to me in pieces? There may even be some crucial parts missing?

20210721_150011.jpg

20210721_150054.jpg

Many thanks for any help you can offer!

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Not my area I'm afraid but this might just help a little before someone who knows what they are talking about can help.  You are obviously missing the rudder sail and possibly one or two other bits.

By the way welcome to the forum and you don't have to apologise for asking a question!

01-06-19-29cadmashowdoncaster29.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 21/07/2021 12:17:15

Brian Morrison
          Participant
            @brianmorrison58365

Thanks Richard for your reply. The photo that you posted is an awesome looking craft, a very sophisticated steering looking set-up!

Nigel Northwood
            Participant
              @nigelnorthwood17509

I've seen similar & I've just acquired a very old hull to rig up for simple self steering. Is the rudder attached to the cranked arm or to the post further aft?

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Brian,

Although it looks complicated the theory is the same, I suggest you make a fitting to hold a balsa vane as Richards picture which is adjustable to the heading you want the yacht to take, this was the way of controlling prior to RC being available. And it keeps you fit getting round to the other side of the lake to catch the boat !!

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 22/07/2021 09:39:36

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

If you Google Model Yacht Vane Gear you will see various explanations plus useful diagrams of how it all looks and works. You can then work out what is missing from your boat.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

The more I look at it the more I suspect that, being a relatively simple and old model, that the rope on the main sail attaches to the eyelet at the rear of the tiller arm. Consequently the rudder is simply being used as a means of stabilising the direction by counteracting the pull to either side of the main sail.

Balanced against that the other rope is attached by the hook to the eyelet on the top of the rudder stock with the loop of the rope passed into the split ring on the deck. Balancing the length of the two ropes then allows a limitation of main sail travel and rudder movement for a given movement of sail. The rope at the forward end limits the rudder travel and the rope at the aft end limits the main sail travel.

Just a thought, I might be completely wrong. You might be able to convert this to a balsa sail type of operation as per the vintage yacht picture above but it might be more appropriate to simply operate the model as per the original design intention.

The bottom line is that I may just suspect now that there is nothing missing!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 22/07/2021 10:06:39

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

I think you could be right Richard, the mechanism does look a bit 'agricultural' and not part of a more complex setup.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi All,

Yes it could be as simple as that

Regards Ray

redpmg
                        Participant
                          @redpmg

Believe Richard is absolutely correct – a simple gear for tying rudder movement to the sail with nothing missing. As it is should always keep the yacht heading into the wind . You would surely have to disconnect the mainsail from the tiller arm and simply limit the travel when using a vane ?

There is a small star on the mainsail boom visible in the second picture – is it possible this is one of the more sophisticated Star yachts ?

Brian Morrison
                          Participant
                            @brianmorrison58365

Thank you all for considering my conundrum! I think Richard you are on to it. I image it is only a simple set up, the hull of the model is only 36cm long. I'll try riving it up as you suggest and see how it goes.

20210722_182549.jpg

I don't know if it was a Star model, as it has the builders name Reg

stamped into the underside of the lead weight.

Lola is my granddaughter not quite one, I have a bit of time to sort it out before we go to the pond together.

Gareth Jones
                            Participant
                              @garethjones79649

Hi Brian,

I think what you have is a variation on the reverse tiller mechanism used on many small toy yachts such as Bowmans. The attached diagram may help you understand how to rig the model. I am not sure how the self centering rubber band would be fitted on your model but it possibly goes round the two pins that stick up from the tiller, one on the rudder connection, one at the aft end.

The principle on which it works is that as the sails are let further out to sail across or down wind the steering control line pulls on the tiller and applied rudder in the opposite direction to prevent the yacht tending to turn away from the side where the main boom is out. They are quite tricky to set up, being largely trial and error in balancing the self centering force of the rubber band against the loads on the rudder and sails. However they are good fun and you will get plenty of exercise chasing its random path around the pond

reverse tiller  mechanism resized.jpg.

Gareth

Gareth Jones
                              Participant
                                @garethjones79649

Brian,

The attached notes might help when you reach the stage of sailing your little model.

bowman operating instructions.jpg

Have fun,

Gareth

Brian Morrison
                                Participant
                                  @brianmorrison58365

Once again thank you to the brains trust! What a fantastic resource to someone like me, loads of enthusiasm but little knowledge. I am located in Australia and have found it difficult to connect with the right people who share a similar passion. I look at the diagram posted by Gareth and it fits exactly with the model that I have! A photo to follow when I can get to it. Cheers smiley yes

Tony Hadley
                                  Participant
                                    @tonyhadley

Found this other, similar variation of the mechanism, as used by Star Yachts on their Arctic Star. The third photograph in the link shows the best detail.

**LINK**

Pond yachts, such as Star and Bowman are now becoming very collectable and bringing good prices.

Edited By Tony Hadley on 23/07/2021 12:41:35

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)