Right paint job for wood

Advert

Right paint job for wood

Home Forums Static modelling Right paint job for wood

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthieu Burleraux
    Participant
      @matthieuburleraux21541

Hello people,

running multiple projects at the same time and having moved to the Balkan, the weather doesn't allow me to work on big project (no shed and the wife doesn't want me to do some stuff inside). Therefore I am doing static models.

I already finished some static models and I am not working on a (very bad) Revell Sport Fishing boat. Based on pictures from the real boat, I would like to have it in colors close to mahogany and teak (for the flooring). I was wondering if any of you already tried and which colors did they used. I did a PT109 with Tamiya XF78 (wooden deck tan) but it's a bit too "light" for teak and way to light for mahogany. Thanks in advance!

PS: I had horrible luck on amazon/ebay. I bought a few static models from Lindberg and Revell and the quality sucks. So much stuff to correct or just recreate… These are pure plastic fyi.

Advert
      Matthieu Burleraux
      Participant
        @matthieuburleraux21541
        ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Matt. I think this a personal preference thing, and may take a few tries before finding a shade that you personally think looks right. I did an amount of surfing when trying to decide which colour to use for the deck of my Titanic (humbrol pale stone), but opinions varied wildly as to what was the “right” shade. Ashley

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

I think the only way to get something you are happy with is to practise on scrap material and compare the results with as many period photographs as you can get your hands on. The trouble with teak decking is that when dry it is actually very light coloured but as soon as it gets wet it goes very dark. Assuming you want to model it dry then I would start off with very light grey with a spot of beige or buff mixed in.

Despite models occasionally displaying varnished teak decking this is a pretty rare finish with it perhaps only occurring on such vessels as yachts and even then only in small areas. Even to this day teak decking on ships is simply cleaned with 'holy' stones so the finish is a very matt rough surface.

Interestingly of course most brand new ships do not use teak as a deck covering as it is A) Too much of an environmental concern and B) Very expensive to fit, maintain and repair. Most modern ships are now fitted with some form of resin poured deck covering. Quite why they insist on then trying to make it look like real wood with caulking lines I've never been able to work out!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)