Prop tube grease

Advert

Prop tube grease

Home Forums Scratch build Prop tube grease

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob Abell 2
    Participant
      @bobabell2

I`ve alway`s used VASELINE but I`ve  read somewhere that this stuff is not reccomended……so I`d like to hear what the forum thinks………Oil or grease etc?

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577

Hi Bob

I have always used Vaseline on my smaller propshafts and lithium grease on my larger boats and never had any trouble with them, but I do clean them out at the end of each season and lay up the boats over winter with a coat of light oil on the shaft and tube.

Being petroleum based Vaseline can attack some flexible seals.

Paul

Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2

Hello Paul

On one of Sandy Cousins plans he does state……"Do not use Vaseline"…..for some reason……..I`ve always used Vaseline……and all my boats let water in!…….thru the prop shaft I suspect.

Does oil filling a vertical tube work?…….Got one on GE but never done it before

Ducky tells me, he puts nothing in!………He`s got some special washers that keep the water out….somehow?

Bobrunel

Paul T
          Participant
            @pault84577

Hi Bobrunel

I suspect that Duckies washers are silicone or neoprene and would have a nice tight fit around the shaft. I don’t like using oil or oil fillers as the tube tends to leave an oil slick if the caps / seals are not perfect.

In the past I have used industrial silicone (bath sealent) on troublesome shafts by injecting a plug of silicone at the wet end of the tube, letting it set, then sending an exact size drill through the silicone before inseting the shaft. This gave me a perfect watertight seal without putting any drag on the shaft.

Paul

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Chaps. I have never bothered to filled my shafts with anything and just get by on an iniatial grease-up on first assembly, then a drop if 20/50 now and then on the bearings. Dont like the idea of oil filled shafts, as when water gets in it will emulsify and trap water on the shaft, and to my mind if water is getting in, oil must also be getting out into the pond. I dont seem to have much of a problem with water ingres, I keep my shaft nuts well adjusted so there is the absolute minimum play end-to-end and find , along with a blob of grease (i like coppaslip) that this is sufficient. You can buy waterproof greases, as used on car waterpumps but I suspect that unless your boat is out in the oggie every day this would make little differance. Ashley 

Paul T
              Participant
                @pault84577

On some smaller shafts a grease or oil can be detrimental to the motor by making it work harder and therefore using more amps.

My problems have occured on larger dia shafts (1/2") and above when the rotary action of the shaft acts as an impellor and pulls water into the model. 

Paul

mick
                Participant
                  @mick

i have bought some grease from  pandan models it is a robbie product  but it

does the job for me hope this of some help lads  mick 

Charles Oates
                  Participant
                    @charlesoates31738

I’ve been using silicoln grease for years, and it works very well, no water up the shaft. I’m told it’s more eco friendly too. You can buy a small tub from a plumbers merchant and it will last for many years, I’ve had mine for 15 years plus and still some left.

chas

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)