Pond Yacht

Advert

Pond Yacht

Home Forums Sailing Models Pond Yacht

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Paul T
    Participant
      @pault84577

vintage yacht 2.jpgGuess what I have bought.

vintage yacht 1.jpg

Yes its a traction engine.

But seriously I would like to identify this model so does anyone know anything about this particular type of model.

Paul

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

That's a lovely boat Paul.

Colin

Paul T
          Participant
            @pault84577

Hi Colin

I am very happy with it.

It was built in the 1950s by a member of Arsenal Local Model Yacht Club in Birkenhead it stands almost 6ft from keel to mast head, I have never heard of the Arsenal Local Model Yacht Club.

Paul

Bob Abell 2
            Participant
              @bobabell2

Hi Paul

Is it radio controlled or a free sailer?

Bob

Malcolm Frary
              Participant
                @malcolmfrary95515

In the 1950's radios generally fitted into a small sideboard, so originally, almost certainly a free sailer. A "serious" model would generally have some sort of steering correction, but there is no sign of a vane sitting on the stern, and no sign of the deck fittings that are associated with Braine gear. It might have a weighted rudder, but that is from a much earlier time.

i don't see any running rigging that might allow sail control by a radio if one got fitted later, but that doesn't mean that it is not a "steering only" model where the sails get set and you hope that as set they will give enough control.

The hull length might gve a clue as to any class it might belong to. On the other hand, it might have been built from a plan in something like the "Boys Own Paper" or similar to be a good looking boat intended to give pleasure sailing on a pond.

Gareth Jones
                Participant
                  @garethjones79649

Hi Paul,

Can you provide the hull length and beam? A side on photograph showing the hull and keel profile would also help.

Gareth

Paul T
                  Participant
                    @pault84577

Hello Bob

I presume that it was built as a free sailer because as Malcolm pointed out the radio gear back then was huge and very expensive.

However the previous owner fitted a 3 channel system including a 'get me home motor' for when the boat is in the middle of the lake and wind dies.

Hello Malcolm

There is no outward evidence of automatic sailing gear but it does have a nice large rudder, I think you are correct about it being a nice looking boat for pleasurable sailing.

Hi Gareth

As soon as the sun decides to stop its impersonation of a flame thrower I will get the boat out of the car and take lots of photos and measurements and would be very grateful for any of your insights.

Paul

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

What Colin said. A very nice boat. Classic pond dimensions and all that nice wood.

Ashley

Bob Abell 2
                      Participant
                        @bobabell2

Now then, Paul, tell us please……….

What`s the story, and how have you acquired it ?

Bob

Paul T
                        Participant
                          @pault84577

Hi Ash

I am really looking forward to sailing this one.

Paul

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi Paul ,

Treat yourself to some decent Dacron sails for her !! The current ones have no shape !! Frank at Nylet could help 😀👍

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                            Participant
                              @ashleyneedham69188

I am sure they will look better when filled with wind, and doesn’t it add to the vintage ness of it?

How much would a set of sails be for that , out of interest ??

Ashley

Paul T
                              Participant
                                @pault84577

Hello Ray

I might just buy a roll of Dacron and run up a couple of sets and a spinnaker.

Hi Ashley

To make my own will cost about £15 a set and £10 for the spinnaker. You can pick up decent 2nd hand sails for anywhere from £10 to £25 each but I don't know what a made to measure would cost.

Paul T
                                Participant
                                  @pault84577

I have been busy on other things and only just managed to look inside the yacht and to my surprise the hull is fibreglass.

Given its age I had been expecting a bread and butter construction.

Sorry but no photos, my camera phone had an accident.

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Are the sides washed light brown then to disguise the fibreglass? Or is the paint just old/yellowed?

Presume this is good news from a restoration point of view?

Ashley. So many questions, so little time

Paul T
                                    Participant
                                      @pault84577

Hi Ash

The outer hull is perfectly smooth and the light brown colour seems to be the gel coat.

Yes this is great news from the restoration point of view especially as the brown colour is growing on me, originally I was going to go for a white hull with varnished decking but this toffee/caramel shade is appealing.

Paul

Rich Griff 2
                                      Participant
                                        @richgriff2

Any removable hatches, looks big enough inside, even bread and butter construction, for 2 channel rc conversion…

Rich Griff 2
                                        Participant
                                          @richgriff2

Any removable hatches, looks big enough inside, even bread and butter construction, for 2 channel rc conversion…sorry admin please delete this double post…

Edited By Rich Griff 1 on 31/12/2020 13:59:01

ashley needham
                                          Participant
                                            @ashleyneedham69188

In the absence of further posts I would just like to say that a cream/dark cream/browny-cream colour would also give it a more”vintage” look.

Shouldbe enough room to convert it to r/c, unless Paul is going to run around the lake with a big stick to push it off the bank wherever it lands….

Ashley

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)