old metallic paint

Advert

old metallic paint

Home Forums Soapbox old metallic paint

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

I have used some old Ca. 20 yrs! Testors Model Master chrome silver Paint. It does not seem to be driying 100% . Very slightly tacky to the touch. Used it to get a polished steel look on the stacions and pulpits.

Can I paint over it with clear enamel do you think? I seem to remember that Humbrol metallics don't 'like' being painted over. This is not Humbrol and not metal flake but it is very shiny! -and tacky!

Any (polite) suggestions ?

Georgesmiley

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon
        ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

George. If it dries tacky you won’t be able to paint over it.

You can get “driers” which you use to make oil based paint dry quicker, or help old paint dry,..er..dry!

How much are they? Don’t know, But good chrome finish paint is not easy to find.

Ashley

gecon
          Participant
            @gecon

Oh, oh, sounds like I'm in trouble here. I'll have to start thinking…for once. It's painted on brass so I could scrape it all off again. It'll be a mess though. the pulpits are now epoxied onto the deck. Think, think, think, hmm…tired now, going to bed -2335 in Norway. Start up again in the morning.

Cheers, George

gecon
            Participant
              @gecon

It may just be wishfull thinking but, today the silver paint seems to be slightly less tacky. I'll wait a few more days before doing anything at all. It's not a chrome paint but a very shiny silver, with a few fingureprints on it -after holding the pulpits while glueing in place! Not noticeable at 1 metres distance.

Getting on with the rest of the details this week and pretending not to notice the pulpits. After all, it's only stand-off scale, "all-white-boat" (AWB). Uncompareable with most of the beautiful creations seen elsewhere on the forum.

George

Edited By George Edward Connery on 19/05/2020 07:12:51

Edited By George Edward Connery on 19/05/2020 07:13:29

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

Sometimes old paint can take days to dry! I would leave it a week really…if it’s still tacky then, it’s no good so wipe it off with white spirit/thinners.

Don’t be put off by the apparent perfectness of the boats you see in pictures. Not all boats are perfect, but obviously boats in a mag or at shows are likely to be that much better that average.

Dont belittle your creations as “only” stand off scale, all mine are! (No comments please). My top tip for holding your own is good preparation. Make sure everything is flat, smooth and well sealed, sand, sand and sand again. Ensure your paintwork is nice..flat, run-free, sharp on the edges. Never use the words “that will do”.

I will repeat my favourite tale of bad paintwork. Seen at a model steam boat show at Kew steam museum..massive ..6 foot perhaps paddler. Fabulous detail, but a boot-topping (the white line at the waterline above the anti-fouling) looking like it had been free-hand painted. Atrocious! Wonky, variable thickness. I walked past it. All that work ruined for the want of a bit of masking tape! It would have looked better without the line.

Snap. Shiny paint. 15 coats of varnish well flatted between with wet’n’dry paper. Not hard, not difficult. No special skill required. A bit time consuming, that’s all…mainly just waiting for the varnish to dry.

dscf1047#sunglasses please (2).jpg

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 19/05/2020 07:56:11

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

That's shinier than my chrome silver!smiley Now, where did I put that paint scraper…? I'll give it a few more days before doing anything drastic.

Cheers,

George

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

When I was checking on chrome paints for the pulpit on my Swordsman kit I did read that a lot of the really shiny metallics can take a long time to dry or perhaps we should say cure. A week or more was mentioned so don't be too hasty.

Colin

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

Many thanks Colin,

As I mentioned early this morning it seems to be 'curing' as you suggest. I'll be patient!

Cheers,

George

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)