mystery boat – need to identify!

Advert

mystery boat – need to identify!

Home Forums Sailing Models mystery boat – need to identify!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rob Boyle
    Participant
      @robboyle29730

Hi there,

I was recently given a model boat by an elderly relative, but his memory of the model type and other details has gone. Does anyone know which model I have, potentially what year its from or what parts it should have? Any information at all is gratefully received.

Name Graham Bantock was mentioned in a duplicate post.

mystery_2.jpg

mystery_4.jpg

mystery_6.jpg

mystery_8.jpg

mystaery_3.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 01/04/2021 09:25:47

Advert
      Rob Boyle
      Participant
        @robboyle29730
        Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

Helllo Rob and welcome

It has all the attributes of an International One Metre (IOM). Check the length including the soft bow bumper if it has one.

It has similarities to a Nimbus Mk3 which is a Graham Bantock design about 20 years old now. The transom is different though. It is a popular home build boat and there is a thread on this forum here by Eddie Lancaster called a Couple of IOM Yachts. Even if is not an IOM or a Nimbus the steps to finish it off and equip it can be very much the same.

Your sails, masts, boom and fittings are identifiable as SailsEtc products and that company is owned by Graham and Lorna Bantock. It is a great company and very helpful. If you go to their website there are lots of downloadable instruction sheets and a comprehensive catalogue. I have often sent enquiries by email to Graham and he always responds quickly and clearly.

I can't see from the photos whether you have the lead ballast? The rig looks equivalent to the middle sized No 2.

What ever it is, it's a very nice gift and worth finishing to the high standard that appears to be from the pictures.

I have two IOMs. A Topiko and a Boxkite. I am planning to build another more modern design and have some of my own ideas on the table for a fourth.

I hope it goes well.

Tim R

Eddie Lancaster
          Participant
            @eddielancaster

Hi. Tim and Rob,I was going to suggest the Nimbus 3.the drawings show a flat deck throughout, and the through deck block and the jib rack are all as drawn.I have altered the foredeck on both of mine and the rear deck on one of them.

I have just got the plans for Frank Russell’s Elipsis, a similar hull shape but much narrower beam.

Regards.

Eddie.

Tim Rowe
            Participant
              @timrowe83142

Hello Eddie

I have my eye on the Ellipsis. Built down to weight it is a current and competitive design. I like his no-knuckle theory.

Tim R

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)