MOTOR SAILOR LIFEBOAT

Advert

MOTOR SAILOR LIFEBOAT

Home Forums Build Blogs MOTOR SAILOR LIFEBOAT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 126 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

getting down to the detailing now……

just about finished casting and cleaning the oarlocks for both boats. the last 3 making 10 + 2 spares per boat are in the mould going "off" and will be cleaned up in an hour or so.

but neither these or the stanchions already made will be fitted until the last moment as they are quite liable to get broken whilst I'm fitting other stuff to the interiors of the boats, as they are exposed and fragile.

img_4777.jpg

img_4778.jpg

img_4779.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 15/05/2020 19:09:09

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

she looks a little better with the old RNLI Logo on the bow. nearly finished the sailor lifeboat now, and just waiting for a few fittings to come from my mate Dave Metcalf to finish the both boats off.img_4793.jpg

img_4794.jpg

neil hp
        Participant
          @neilhp

Started rigging my motor sailor yesterday afternoon and but for a break for tea i gave up at around 02.30 this morning, tired, almost asleep and fingers numb, lol……….got to the stage where everything was in place but untidy.

the motor sailor has now been rigged with modellers artistic licence so that it can sail without servo winches nor little men running around the deck altering the sheets and blocks every time you want to change direction of tack.

I'm sure that a rivet counter or true sailor could drive a bus through the model for rigging mistakes, but it was built for a purpose, and I am sure it will work the way I have set it out……..

and who cares about rivet counters, lol.

I am just waiting for some fisherman's snap swivel links so that I can remove the links I made to the mizzen mast rigging so that the section including the mast can be removed to access the motor battery and rc gear………I'll ponder and sort that once they arrive..

I am happy with it though, and that is all that matters to me.

I reckon it'll take on the best of Fleetwood's or Windermere weather.

img_4795.jpg

img_4796.jpg 

img_4797.jpg

img_4798.jpg

img_5816.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 17/05/2020 17:21:05

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2

Looking very nice Neil

The rigging etc is good enough for me, Matey

But don`t like you working these long hours though, it can`t be good for you, even though you are fired up with enthusiasm

Take it easy, Neil

Bob

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

Thanks for the kind thoughts, but I have always worked long late hours Bob even 30 years ago when I could see the end in site I would at times work through the night until the dawns early light shone through the workshop windows…….

it was the piped up adrenalin that kept me working…….never used machinery though at that time and even now a days, all I use during the finishing section all I use is a small minicraft drill…….

and then on to the next project and start slowly.

but have always been a night owl………best tv is late at night, lol.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 17/05/2020 23:19:59

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

Named and famed.

using BECC Vinyl stick on lettering, the two boats have been given their names and port station names.

img_4804.jpg

img_4805.jpg

img_4806.jpg

img_4799 (1).jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 19/05/2020 00:56:08

Bob Abell 2
                Participant
                  @bobabell2

Very pretty, Neil…….No, not you, the lettering!

Now then, putting my nit picking hat on……..The grab ropes need some attention?

They don't hang right?

I would use something like Fly Tyers Wax, it makes the rope more manageable

Try it on a sample first

Bob

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

Like the lettering Neil. So tricky to get right…in-line, spacing..uprightness!

Most tricky thing I have had to do was to put put “Titanic” on the Titanic with 3mm letters…

Ashley

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp

I would normally use masking tape to line them all up……but couldn't do it with those because of the belting on the side of the boat.

as for the grab ropes……..they will eventually be "skimmed with a light covering of superglue and will for ever more sit perfectly hung…….but only once I have finished with the build stands.

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

my fittings that I needed to complete the two boats arrived in the post this morning from my friend Dave Metcalf.

so tonight I thought i'd be clever to begin with and spend an hour making two brackets so that the anchors would stand upright……………they don't fit after all that work and si they will, like others have to lay flat on the fore most bench.

then I made the small brackets to take the Axe and the hatchet heads which will fit on the fore and aft bulkheads

finally all fittings and brackets were painted in their different respective colours.

by tomorrow evening, these two models will be finished!!, yippppeeee………can then tidy the work shop and get on with the TYNE,

img_4837.jpg

img_4842.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

So near and yet so far away?

I never realised these old Lifeboats were so well organised, with all the gear attached

Have you got access to a sample close by, Neil?

Take your time, old chap and savour the moment

Well done, Master Builder

Neil

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

thank you Bob, you are so lovely with your comments. a true gentleman………..look forward to seeing you again sometime.

they were quite complex vessels, even just the pulling/sailing boats, but had to be ready, in their day for all things that they could envisage even in the early days of life saving……..and when you consider that the actual organisation, even though originally not called the RNLI, was founded in the Isle of Man in 1824…nearly 200 years ago, the crew were brave, and the boats well built.

on 100 years to 1924 and the motor sailor is what the boats had developed into………..and on 100 years more to 2024[well almost] and this is what the RNLI use now……..a £2,500,000 state of the art water jet drive 25 knot lifeboat.

But nothing is new in the grand scheme of things, because in 1886 the RNLI were using 3 steam powered water jet drive lifeboats to great lifesaving effect……..one being the Duke of Northumberland, based at New Brighton!

the boats shown are the modern Shannon class boats [which I built last year, one as a gift for my friend in Cornwall,] and the nearer one is mine. And the blue one is the City of Glasgow, a steam lifeboat dating to 1890 and is in the cellars of the City of Glasgow museum.

2.jpg

city of g 4.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 21/05/2020 14:33:42

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

well! the final stage of my [almost] nine month build of two sailing lifeboats.

began on September 1st, 2019 and am about to finish them this afternoon/evening, with the final fixing of the fittings shown in the photo!.

And then onto fitting the stanchions and oarlocks on both boats and that is it.

img_4847.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                              Participant
                                @bobabell2

Very nice Neil

Tip of the day……….Add a touch of silver to the large red axes# edges

And two toilet rolls in the roller brackets?

Wash your hands and call it a day!

Bob

neil hp
                                Participant
                                  @neilhp

laugh thanks bob, will remember that tip for next time……..they now very much locked onto the model in their respective places. 

the build of the SAMUEL FLETCHER OF MANCHESTER officially finished at 18.38 hours today 8 months and 21 days after it started.

it is going to be delivered to the commissionaire Steve Williams tomorrow afternoon, obeying social distancing of course.

the reason for the fast delivery is that yesterday whilst in the garden with it, I had a drone flying over my garden and house for some minutes, and this concerned me.

I read later on facebook that there had been a few burglaries in the near area, where drones have been flying over the houses. I don't trust anyone not to make a go at having it.

so tomorrow it will be gone to its new home.

I will finish my motor sailor tonight and hopefully if nice weather tomorrow morning I'll get some photos of the two of them together before Sam Fletch goes on to her new home in Lytham St Annes.

img_4853.jpg

img_4849.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 21/05/2020 19:36:48

neil hp
                                  Participant
                                    @neilhp

see what you mean now bob by "roller brackets"………..they are in fact the old brass fire extinguishers with holding brackets for the motor sailor, lol.

think a couple of bog rolls would be taking the P, lol.

Bob Abell 2
                                    Participant
                                      @bobabell2

Hi Neil

Two lovely models to be proud of

I would have thought that the museum model would look better if the sails were stowed or furled?

Because they are looking like Nora Batties stockings at the moment?

No offence intended, old boy

Bob

neil hp
                                      Participant
                                        @neilhp

none taken bob…….

ashley needham
                                        Participant
                                          @ashleyneedham69188

Difficult to get sails looking right as the weights of cloth are so out of kilter.

I opted for quite taut sails on the London as they were muslin and would not hang at all.

Reading up on things like the Mary Rose, they had very baggy sails which would be a nightmare to try and emulate statically.

Ashley

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp

the lifeboat cloths were such heavy materials……needed them for strength and longevity, but in a good blow these li little ones fill out and am sure they will do their job on Windermere next summer.

as for the second boat………

and the motor sailor SIR FITZROY CLAYTON, Fleetwood's lifeboat was finished at around 23.30 last night.

then I sat back looking at her and realised that I hadn't finished either boat at all, as I had forgotten to make the boat hook and gaff for each boat.

so sat forward again, went to the workshop at 23.45, found some dowel and proceeded to make them.

I will fit these when painted blue and white for respective sides of the boats.

and the final shot is handing it over to Steve Williams, the new custodian of the MUSEUM model and one of the trustees of the Samuel Fletcher Trust

img_4906.jpg

img_4908.jpg

img_4918.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                            Participant
                                              @bobabell2

Job done and dusted finally

We hope to see a mention of this historic event on the iPad news etc, shortly?

But we suppose we could blame the Virus lockdown for not seeing a reception committee?

Award yourself a good stiff noggin o` Grog, Neil, for a job well done

Bob

neil hp
                                              Participant
                                                @neilhp

thanks Bob……….I will………….but what is iPad news mate……..haven't a clue.smiley

yes, now its a quick tidy up, and throw away the junk and then on to the next model……….might even paint some crew up for my motor sailor inside rather than in the workshop. .

Chris Fellows
                                                Participant
                                                  @chrisfellows72943

Nice one Neil.

Chris

neil hp
                                                  Participant
                                                    @neilhp

thanks Chris….……all over bar the shouting as they say

Viewing 24 posts - 126 through 149 (of 149 total)