Modelling lathe

Advert

Modelling lathe

Home Forums Soapbox Modelling lathe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Southern Sailor
    Participant
      @southernsailor76583

Good day all,

I currently have a Toyo modelling lathe and am thinking of getting an improvement on this lathe.  Any suggstions?

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577

Hi Brian

Have a look at Proxon tools their lathes are superb in every detail.

Paul

Paul Freshney
        Participant
          @paulfreshney24971

It depends how much you want to spend– Proxxon are not cheap but excellent quaility. I have drills from them that have lasted years. The Chinese lathes available from a number of suppliers including Arc Euro Trade, Chester, Warco et. al are adequate for occasional use and cheaper. ‘Add on’ bits are also available to improve these machines. A Myford lathe can be £6k, the Chinese lathe £500. I have a Arc Euro Trade C3, currently £335 in the most basic form, but fitted with needle roller bearings and a good chuck and it does the job for my occasional use. I would suggest that you have a look at the websites for all these suppliers as well as Proxxon and determine what your usage, size of items being turned and precision requirements are likely to be.

Grant Laurenson
          Participant
            @grantlaurenson24381

My instinctive response is that I’d really recommend thinking seriously about a Myford. They are expensive because they are in demand. They’re in demand because they’re good. Also there’s a lot of commonality in design over the years so a good second hand one is a wise buy. You can resell it for about what you paid for it, and if you’re lucky the previous owner will hand over a bunch of tooling with it when you buy it. You should expect to pay less than a thousand for a scruffy looking Myford with a gear box and some basic tooling. The tooling is where the real cost starts.

But, before you look for recommendations there are two questions:

1. What doesn’t the toyo do/have that you might want?

(Is it too small, too big (!), not accurate enough, not powerful enough, not enough accessories, etc)

2. What kind of work do you want to do with the lathe?

(screwcutting, occasional milling, making a new piston for the lawnmower, watch making, etc)

A very good place to look is lathes.co.uk which has some lengthy advice on features and buying, it also has a write up on each lathe.

All the best, Grant.

Southern Sailor
            Participant
              @southernsailor76583

Good day Grant, Paul and The Fat Controller

Thank you for your responses. I have replied twice but to my dismay I do not see the replies in the Forum.  I have an idea that it is because I never logged on before replying.  I have done so now and hope that this email gets through to you.

I tried the Proxxon website but was not able to find their lathes.  Any clues?

The Toyo does do what I want, but I have some doubts as to the stability of the slide for the tool post.  Seems to be inaccurate, but that may be because I have not set it up the way I should, shims etc.  It does seem to be not as secure as it could be.  I am an amateur hobbyist, and am retiring in 4 years time.  Before that happens I want to establish myself with a decent hobby lathe. 

I am looking for a milling attachment (making flats for grub screws etc).  I have found a dealer in the east, but they are not too communicative on availability, price, local dealerships etc.

Nice to hear from you all.  Hope this post gets to the Forum.

Brian Adley

Paul T
              Participant
                @pault84577

Hi Brian

For Proxxon try http://www.proxxondirect.com and look at the PD230/E lathe but then again you could always look at the PD400 which suits me down to the ground.

All the best

Paul

George Papandropoulos 1
                Participant
                  @georgepapandropoulos1

Hi Brian,

if I am allowed to cut in (you already have been answered by serious people) I would offer my humble suggestion for what it is worth…

If you have the extra money to spend, go for the Myford e.t.c..

However, because of a problem like what you have with your lathe, I would advise you to fix it rather than buy a new machine which may have similar problems sooner or later.

I also believe that a milling attachment is an absolute necessity as well as one of those simple dividers.

I have an Emco Compact 5 with a milling attachment and it works for the last 27 years without any problems. 

I humbly suggest that you stay away from the various Chinese things if for only one reason.

Will they be around to support you with spares after 10 or 15 years ? 

Some of them are accurate while others not. Well, I would buy European or even better, English.

Merry Xmas,

George 

Southern Sailor
                  Participant
                    @southernsailor76583

Thanks for that George. 

The Toyo does seem to be well made and is certainly sturdy looking.  If I can keep it, I want to.  Its milling attachment seems good as well.  Has its own drive etc.  Tony’s lathes (Tony Griffiths) has given me a site http://www.wseni.co.kr.  I am trying to source a milling attachment from this site.  Hope they are not the "chinese things" you are referring to.

Best regards,

BrianAdley

Ian Headland
                    Participant
                      @ianheadland47852

Guys

Try a company called Chronos Ltd http://www.chronos.ltd.uk I am also a model engineer and have a Myford ML7 these are now severely overpriced.

Chronos carry a lot of tools and are distributors for Proxxon in the UK.

Remember its what you are going to do with it The Ml7 will swing 7" and all accccs are expensive.

Fred Graham 1
                      Participant
                        @fredgraham1

Hi,

There is much in what everyone says to help you. I bought my Myford lathe when I was 18 and I am now 66. I have never had to replace anything except the tufnol tumbler cluster gears for reversing the leadscrew. My own fault as I tried to disengage them before the spindle had stopped.

If you buy a second hand Myford, you will find that they can replace anything you may need from their spares department, quickly but, alas, also expensive.

There is no doubt that you get what you pay for in machine tools but you would not regret it with a Myford.

At my age, I have concluded that time is the only commodity not for sale. If you are about to retire get the best you can afford, consistent with what you need it to do and what you can afford. My own adage is Maximise the joy and mimimise the pain, time is not for sale!

All the best, Fred Graham

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

I`ve finally got to admit defeat!……………The spindle bearings in my ML7, which I`ve had for 40 years, have finally got too sloppy to live with!………………Myford replacement spindle with bearings, price……..£333.00

New Chester lathe……………with all the frills and bobbles……..£475.00

So I`ve bought one…………….should have done it 10 years ago!

Frederick Spencer
                          Participant
                            @frederickspencer41245

Hi guys, I take it its a Toyo ML360. But this still relates to the smaller Toyo ML210.I had the same problem.So I copied an idea I found on a Emco Compact 5 lathe. I made a set of plates that hold the saddle to the bed out of hard grey PVC sheet plastic. (On the Emco they are white plastic) After tightening them so I can move the saddle. After a days use the plastic bedded in and I have not touch them since (3 years ago)

The problem with the Toyo plates is that apart from having fixing screws they have little grub screws as well. The end result is the plate slightly bends hence its unstable.

If I have to be critical of the superb Toyo ML360 lathe,its these plates and the micrometer hand wheel dials that are virtually impossible to see.

John Hodkinson
                            Participant
                              @johnhodkinson18222

Good Morning Bob,

Now that you have had your new Chester lathe for some time, how do you find it?

I am thinking of buying one and wondered if you have any comments to make about them.

Best Regards

John

Bob Abell 2
                              Participant
                                @bobabell2

Morning John

I really like my Chester lathe…….especially the speed range   0 to 2500 rpm is very useful

Such good value too……two chucks….two steadies……faceplate…….lathe tools…….spanners etc

It`s ideal for model boat work……but the Myford lathe would be best for model engineering

Bob

John Hodkinson
                                Participant
                                  @johnhodkinson18222

Thankyou Bob,

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">                             Sounds like it is most suitable for what I want, dont need a small engineering lathe, would like one but cant justify the expense!!!!,so she who must be obeyed says.

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">Worked in engineering for many years firstly as a toolmaker with English Electric Co. then as development engineer developing carbon fibre for the aircraft industry, so have used lathes for years.

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1"> 

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">Best regards

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1"> 

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">John

John Hodkinson
                                  Participant
                                    @johnhodkinson18222

Dont know what this atomic element thing is, it seems to appear when I dont use bold type.

Anybody any ideas?

John

Bob Abell 2
                                    Participant
                                      @bobabell2

Hi John

I used to work at Craven Brothers in Stockport from 1953 to 1966 and I was Turner before moving into the Drawing office…..and I went to the EE closing down sale in the 80`s…..in Openshaw

Bob

John Hodkinson
                                      Participant
                                        @johnhodkinson18222

Hi Bob, I served my apprenticeship in the toolroom with EE at Clayton-le Moors in Lancs from 1961 t0 1967 then moved to Devon where I had various engineering jobs till I finally ended up with a firm called Hitemp who produced high pressure fittings mainly for the aircraft industry till we also started to develop carbon fibre rods and supports for aircraft both civil and military (dont fly on an airbus I believe the floor is supported by some of the rods!!)

John

Len Ochiltree
                                        Participant
                                          @lenochiltree67043

Hi John,

You do not appear to be using Bold type. I don’t know if this helps.

Len.

Vinnie Branigan
                                          Participant
                                            @vinniebranigan92297

Oh he does.  For the entire post.  That’s why I keep altering it.

Vinnie 

Southern Sailor
                                            Participant
                                              @southernsailor76583

Hallo all, after being quiet for some.  I have bought the Optimum (made in Germany), this being the only one available in Cape Town, other than a chinese make which I wanted to stay clear of as some have had bad experiences with it.  I would have bought a Chester lathe, but after considering the cost of transporting it to CT, import duty etc, it was not really the most suitable, and I would have been buying it from photos on the web, not seeing it until it arrived on my doorstep. The Optimum has not yet been delivered.  Will give a report when it arives.

Now for the milling machine.  I will have to look for something second hand, due to cost.  Patience is a virtue, etc!

Regards to all.

Brian Adley

Southern Sailor
                                              Participant
                                                @southernsailor76583
                                              Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)