LED on RX voltage

Advert

LED on RX voltage

Home Forums R/C & Accessories LED on RX voltage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Captain Flack
    Participant
      @captainflack

I want to add some LEDs to my Customs cutter, using a receiver controlled switch, of which I have several. These are the RX voltage type, so assume output of 5v. Will this voltage support?

1x red

1x green

4 x white

I understand that i will need resistors, which I think I have got my head around, it's just the supply voltage coming out of the switch that confuses me.

Thanks in advance.

Advert
      Captain Flack
      Participant
        @captainflack
        ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Cap’n. Check out component shop website. A very good guide to working out resistors for led’s.

The maths is dead easy. Bec supply normally about 5v, use that for calculations . It’s the current one would normally worry about…overloading etc but leds take so little it is nothing to worry about.

Ashley

Malcolm Frary
          Participant
            @malcolmfrary95515

A switch should either be an open circuit thus zero current when it is "off", or zero resistance when it is "on". It will offer no volts to the load when off, or the full supply voltage when on.

A mechanical switch like you find in a switcher with a relay has contacts that act just like any other switch. They don't care which side they switch, ground or positive, but have the bulk of the relay. With relay contacts, there is the option of switching any voltage as required.

Electronic switches, you need to read the instructions, or at least have clues on the case. They are usually designed so that they switch either the ground line or the positive line, and it is as well to know which. Less bulk than a relay, but more picky about how they can be used.

Red and green LEDs usually in the range of about 10-20mA, so no real worries about consumption there. White LEDs tend to be thirstier plus they need more volts, so no option on 5 volts to form daisy chains.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)