Kathleen Motor Yacht

Advert

Kathleen Motor Yacht

Home Forums Sailing Models Kathleen Motor Yacht

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Silverfern Downunder
    Participant
      @silverferndownunder

hi guys,

Im wondering if anyone might have a plan of "Kathleen" a scaled plan for a 30' motor yacht featured in the model boat magazine dated August 2012 and if you have any information/photos of this boat will be gratefully recieved..

Thank you,

Bob Downunder.

Advert
      Silverfern Downunder
      Participant
        @silverferndownunder

Plan

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Hi Bob,

You can buy the plans from Sarik Hobbies:

**LINK**

Colin

Bob Mc
          Participant
            @bobmc91481

..Bob..Downunder…

Yes I a have been having a go at 'Kathleen' and I am building the clinker version of it, I have already built a Jim Pottinger design from the drawings scratch built 'Ravenna' which was my first attempt at a model boat build and came out quite well.

I can honestly say that the clinker build was a bit too difficult for me to do, there are no instructions and its all up to the builder to sort it out, what I didn't realise was that the amount of wood required for the planking is quite a lot, and even with cutting my own planks on the bandsaw and joining up to make the curvature as linear as possible I am not all that happy with the results as it looks a bit like Noah's Ark ! mind you boats do look rather cumbersome out of the water.

I am seriously thinking of planing all the clinker planks away and having a smooth hull, I also found that the strips of oak I used could be bent quite easily using a blowtorch on the non visible side and holding in curvature, they retained their position.

The rear bottom section is particularly difficult with sharp return curves and I had to fill some of it in with a mixture of glue & oak sawdust.

Anyways.. here are some pictures of the build so far…nb.. this is not the final paintwork.

..Bob Mc…

The keel is done.

dsc_0188.jpgPlanking

dsc_0192.jpgThe build up to now…

dsc_0202.jpg

Silverfern Downunder
            Participant
              @silverferndownunder

Great looking vessel. well done.

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Bob,

You have tackled the hardest method of building a hull known to man and done a great job in my view, I have built a couple of JP's design's he's rather naughty doing the section showing clinker, or clenched lap construction, a great draughtsman and historian, but he doesn't build models as far as I know

Regards Ray

Bob Mc
                Participant
                  @bobmc91481

Thanks Bob/Ray

your replies much appreciated, and yes….Mr Pottinger does seem to be a bit Spartan when it comes to build information but I really liked the lines of this little boat and will be leaving it as clinker.

Thanks again…Bob.

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

I don't know what it is but there is something pleasing to the eye about a clinker built hull. Maybe it is the fact that you can study each plank and see what has gone into the build which is so much more interesting than a carvel construction covered in filler and smoothed over.

Yours looks superb and I think the decision to leave the clinker construction on view is the right thing to do.

Bob Mc
                    Participant
                      @bobmc91481

Thanks Richard.

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi Bob,

Jim Pottinger never shows any model construction, which I think makes it a more enjoyable build because you need to think it through yourself this is his Spanish Fishing Boat design. Regards Raysfb feb 19.jpg

Bob Mc
                        Participant
                          @bobmc91481

That is a nice job Ray… I fully appreciate the effort that goes into making these scratch built boats especially when the instructions are just a peice of paper with lines on it !

Its not just about fitting the peices together, the building frame has to be made, choice of materials and a plan of works along with skill in use of tools…then you have to paint it without making it look like a pigs ear and don't forget the electrics.

Any road up…. that's a good lookin boat.

rgds..Bob.

Bob Mc
                          Participant
                            @bobmc91481

Hi All..

Decided to try and get an 'antique' style finish for 'Kathleen' this is not going to be the name for it, which will be 'Rob Roy' in memory of my brother Roy who died this summer… with me being the 'Rob' part.

Apart from the R/C bits and the motor I have used materials and paints/varnish which were lying around in my workshop, I also decided to make the rudder and steering gear out of brass which I think is more in keeping with the look of this boat , my brother would be proud to know that it has been built … economically, I hope to have a launching ceremony at Etherow so will have to enquire if I could have my sister in law on the jetty to officiate.

It still needs a few bits & bats such as the side rails and mast, so with a bit of luck she might be ready for next spring when weather is suitable for fine weather sailors…such as myself.

Anyroad up….below .. as she is now.

dsc_0210.jpg

Bob Mc
                            Participant
                              @bobmc91481

Its Kathleen no more!

its 'Rob Roy' now, just got a few more things to sort out then I'll take it down to the water and see how she runs.

dsc_0216.jpg

dsc_0215.jpg

dsc_0214.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)