Focus On Scale

Advert

Focus On Scale

Home Forums All things floating Focus On Scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vinnie Branigan
    Participant
      @vinniebranigan92297

A last few words of wisdom from our kindly readers, with thanks to Lez Brambley, John and Nigel Tarvin, Mike Britnell and Tim Fell, written by David J Wiggins.

Vinnie

Advert
      David Cherrett
      Participant
        @davidcherrett81145

I read this article with great interest.  I too built a Sea Rover in the early 1960’s, with simple 1-channel RC, clockwork escapement, Taycol motor etc.  Last year I bought the real thing!  Advertised as a ‘Gentleman’s Day Boat’ my new boat (named L’Amour and built in Falmouth in 1951) looked very similar to the Aerokits model (which,sadly, has long since been scrapped).  When I researched the history of the boat, I found an article describing my boat in ‘Motor Boat and Yachting’, September 1950, where it was called The Falmouth Sea Rover! Although there are differences, the arrangement is very similar, and I feel sure it must have been the design which inspired the Aerokits model.

L’Amour is 22ft long, 8ft beam and is of round bilge (not hard chine) carvel construction,  mahogany on oak frames. She has 2 berths, an open cockpit, windscreen and wheel shelter.  Originally powered by a Henry Meadows petrol engine, she is now fitted with a Mercedes OM636 diesel. She bears a plaque ‘This vessel was exhibited at the Festival of Britain 1951’

I am currently restoring L’Amour and she will be back in the water (on the Thames) next spring.

If anyone is interested I will gladly send pictures, and a copy of the 1950 article!  

Vinnie Branigan
        Participant
          @vinniebranigan92297

FEATURE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)