Fibreglass advice.

Advert

Fibreglass advice.

Home Forums Beginners Fibreglass advice.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Beall
    Participant
      @kevinbeall91525

After a break of a few years from modelling I've started a build of a 200 Series Seaplane Tender from planes and article in an old copy of Model Boats magazine. All is going well with the balsa and light-ply hull planked and off the building board. Next is to cover in fibreglass cloth and resin. The article says to first apply 200gsm weave cloth quickly followed by another layer of the same in 80gsm. I've researched a bit on the 200gsm layer for the first coat as it seemed a little on the heavy side for a 36" hull, but could find little on the subject.

Any advice greatly appreciated, I was thinking more along the lines of 1 or 2 layers of 80gsm, with brush applied epoxy resin only on the inner surfaces.

Advert
      Kevin Beall
      Participant
        @kevinbeall91525
        Dave Cooper 6
        Participant
          @davecooper6

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum,

I use 199gsm carbon cloth on my racing sportscar (full-size). Glass will be heavier, although most of the actual weight comes from the resin mix. However, if you use 'peel ply' this will soak up much of the excess resin and save weight (a bit like blotting paper).

Are you planning to glass just outside, or, inside and out ? I've not got much experience of glassing hulls, but I know there are plenty of others on the forum who can help….

Probably best to wait for them to come along and they will be able to advise on suppliers as well.

Good luck with your project,

Dave

Chris Fellows
          Participant
            @chrisfellows72943

Hi Kevin

No need to use any cloth as heavy as that. Some of us use lightweight cloth (see photo) and multiple coats of Eze-Kote water based resin. It dries quickly and multiple coats can be applied one after the other, is odourless and brushes are cleaned using water. It sands easily and provides an excellent base for painting.

It can be used inside the hull but ideally needs painting as is not completely water resistant if in contact with water for prolonged periods, or as you have suggested use epoxy resin.

Heavy cloth would be difficult to apply to curves etc. If you look at my Fairey builds or Ray Wood's build you can see the lightweight cloth being applied.

Chris

cloth.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 26/11/2022 15:19:43

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Kevin,

I will second Chris's wise words I first was aware of this grade of woven glass cloth when RC flyers started using it for covering wings of aeroplanes, If money is no object West Epoxy Systems is stronger than the water based stuff that Chris and I use these days but a starter pack size is £40.00'ish.

I use water based resin from Bucks Composites

Regards Rayshandau15.jpg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)