Electronic speed controller

Advert

Electronic speed controller

Home Forums Soapbox Electronic speed controller

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steve Arendse
    Participant
      @stevearendse23393

hi guys,just joined,great website..need some info-have a 1,5 m  destroyer-scratch built with 12v gelcel  battery with twin 5100 rpm mfa  motors.need a 12v speed controller -frward and reverse,please and could I get a diagram of wiring.

Advert
      The Ships Cat
      Participant
        @theshipscat

I have had very good service from ACTion electronics of Nottingham. You need to know max current the motors take. I would think 10 or 20 amp controller.

Steve Arendse
        Participant
          @stevearendse23393

thanks again.motors take 65w output.is that correct?

Archibald Mainstream
          Participant
            @archibaldmainstream22940

I too have had very good service from Action, I have found them very helpful and a very quick service. I would highly recommend anyone to give them a call, can’t fault them.

I have no connection just a very happy customer.

Daryl

Steve Arendse
            Participant
              @stevearendse23393

thanks Daryl

The Ships Cat
              Participant
                @theshipscat

Hi Steve, The information that you need is the max current that the motor will take this will be a reading measured in amps. If the motor is taking 65watts at 12 volts then it will be drawing about 5.5 amps . If you give the model number of the moter then you can look on the net for the specification of the motor. Always remember to fit a suitable fuse between the battery and the speed controller, the rating of this fuse will need to be less than the maximum current rating of the speed controller. If you give Dave a call at ACTion then he will help with advice on a suitable controller , but he will need the model number of the motor.

I also have no connection with the ACTion Electronics, just another happy customer.

Steve Arendse
                Participant
                  @stevearendse23393

Thanks,will call in the morning,Will post pic of ship in near future-just completing her-my baby…ha ha

Seaspray
                  Participant
                    @seaspray

Hi

Check out the spec of your motor at the MFA site. Spec might be on the motor label.

The MFA motor drawing 5.3 amps seems to be the Torpedo 800 (12V) rpm 5167  typical current draw.

You can control each motor by its own ESC which needs to cover the 5.1 amps draw on each motor. You can use a larger ESC to run both motors together .But most models I’ve seen use two ESC running one motor each. You can also use this system to help turn as the motors are indepenant of each other.

Also one fails the other will bring you back to shore. Also look into a ESC with  B.E.C I prefer it.

You can also look at these ESCs  http://www.electronize.co.uk site. I’ve got 4 and they have been no trouble.

Goog Luck

The Ships Cat
                    Participant
                      @theshipscat

I have tried to order a kit from Electronize and I can only relate the problems myself and other people have had with them. I ordered a kit from them on 12th August paying by credit card. I emailed them on 22nd August chasing the order, no reply , I tried phoning them on 23rd and 24th August , no reply. I emailed them again on 28th August, they responded that day to say too busy to answer the phone and too busy to reply to emails. They did say they would try and get the kit out by end of week. This would mean that I would have been waiting 3 weeks, very poor customer service in my opinion. I cancelled the order. I do have copies of all emails as proof of facts.

I phoned ACTion Electronics at mid day and their controller was delivered by Royal Mail at half past nine the next day.

So you have to decide who gives the best service.

Seaspray
                      Participant
                        @seaspray

Hi

I get my model boats  and fittings and ESC from Westbourne Model Centre,Bournemouth 01202763480 . I ask for Barry he seems to be the boat man there.

Or any good model shop will have a stock of Electronize Speed Controllers

After years of working in assembly of electronics I am prone to buy the ready made unit not the kit. l.o.l

As I said do have  a look at the site

I use LRP ESC in the cars

Good Luck

Michael Bran
                        Participant
                          @michaelbran84391

Hi,

Have you thought about M-Tronicks they have a large selection of esc s waterproof too.

I use 10 and 15 amp in my boats,cost is reasonable as well.

Seaspray
                          Participant
                            @seaspray

Hi

Must agree the choice of ESC is good. Have been looking at Mtronics for sometime now.

Good Luck

JC Uknz 1
                            Participant
                              @jcuknz1

Of course if you like to build stuff yourself it is possible to mount a servo under electrical strip board.   Board with brass on it in rows of holes.  You mount the servo in the centre and organise two sweepers.   

Connect wires .. hot to one sweeper and negative to other with flexible wire.   The board itself has perhaps two or three rows of holes connected with a gap to the next set.  Say three sets with no connection across centre of board.   Underneath the board you mount a couple of 5 watt resisters of appropriate resistance .. experiment, they are cheap enough . perhaps 50 ohms and 30 ohms.    These give you stop, low, medium and full power in either direction as the action of the sweep moves the contact from ‘off’ in the middle, RC lever centred, to forwrd and reverse on each side.

The possible drawback of this set-up, known as a ‘Bob’s Board’if you buy the proper article which is a plate with zinc photo etched on it to create a variable resistance board., is that to reduce power you are applying a resistance to the current and so you use the same amount of current at whatever speed you are operating, except stop.    I like them for the ‘hair trigger’ response when manouvering as opposed to the delay I experienced with an electronic controller ,, but it could be I didn’t set that up properly.

It costs very little to make.  The key factor I believe is to organise cup shaped contacts at the ends of the sweepers to move across the brass strips easilly.  Best suited for boats which move at max speed most of the time and with large batteries

Steve Arendse
                              Participant
                                @stevearendse23393
                              Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)