early diving model submarine

Advert

early diving model submarine

Home Forums Collectors’ corner early diving model submarine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Charles Oates
    Participant
      @charlesoates31738

Hi all, I was looking at some old models donated to our club with my friend Pedro. He showed me a slightly batted submarine, and took off the top. I got quite a surprise, as being an old git, I recognised the relays and control gear from the 1960s reed radio control gear.

As I've been modeling for 55 years I can remember that achieving a model with ballast tank, functioning hydrovanes and motor control etc was considered next to impossible in the 1960s with even the best 12 channel reed gear. ( thats just 6 functions, on or off for those who are too young to remember). In fact I remember that most people didn't believe that the signal would go through the water ( 27 mhz)

sub7.jpg

The model is around 4 feet long and well made

sub 2.jpg

A home made ballast tank, with what looks like a preasure valven and a limit switch

sub3.jpg

Gear drive for the ballast tank

sub4.jpg

Control relays, wireing done in a manner typical of the time, all neat and very complicated

sub5.jpg

I think thats an ex wd motor, and a home made gearbox for the props.

sub8.jpg

Now the biggest mystery, What in the name of all thats Holy is this mechanism, 35 mm film going over the rollers. I have no idea but it's impressive.

sub6.jpg

Lastly something I do recognise, an old Kako motor driving a beautifully made gearbox for progressive rudder control.

It's an amazing piece of work, I wish I could have met it's builder.

Does anyone have any ideas about the mystery mechanism? Any and all ideas and observations are welcome, and I really wanted to share this neglected masterpiece.

Chas

Advert
      Charles Oates
      Participant
        @charlesoates31738

some pics and a mystery

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

That film strip sprocket system is quite extraordinary. Some clearer and more detailed photos would be useful. For example what motor turns the driving sprocket roller and what is it connected to. Are those some sort of electrical wipers above the strip?

Is there a driven sprocket roller underneath somewhere and if so what is it connected to.

Could it be some sort of programmable automatic timer system to surface the boat if the radio signal is lost perhaps?

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 28/04/2019 16:04:28

Paul T
          Participant
            @pault84577

I believe that Colin is correct in the 35mm film strip being a very ingenious attempt at programming.

Tim Rowe
            Participant
              @timrowe83142

Whatever it is, it is fascinating. I would love to stumble across something like that just to have it even without using it.

Submarines have never really held much attraction for me but this one ……

Tim R

Paul T
              Participant
                @pault84577

I would certainly like to examine and take this one apart (and put it back together) just to understand the thought process behind the design, hopefully whoever or whenever it is restored the person concerned will keep meticulous notes and photograph every stage just so future model builders can see how inventive we had to be 'back in the day'

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

The film needs unwinding a bit to see if there's anything on it, or holes in it, or bits stuck to it.

Fabulous bit of engineering. We have it so easy nowadays.

Ashley

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

There were some very impressive things done back in the late 70s/early 80s when experimenting modelmakers had to rely on electromechanical systems.

It was amazing just how much steering control you could have on a twin screw boat with a two channel radio, a Bob's Board speed controller and half a dozen microswitches.

Colin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)