Does this count as a scratch build?

Advert

Does this count as a scratch build?

Home Forums Scratch build Does this count as a scratch build?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Joel AUSTIN
    Participant
      @joelaustin63572

Made from the following supplies and suppliers.

• Hull and keel by Skipper Yachts, found in a charity shop, no sails/mast.
      • Sails made from torn bicycle rain jacket by North Wave.
      • Stays, sheets, carbine hooks, mast hoops, from local haberdashery.
      • Hooks, chain swivels, keel ballast from local fishing tackle shop.
      • Seating and below seat decking from Greg's sandwich shop.
      • Deck eyelets, exterior chainplates, mast, boom, bowsprit from local DIY shop. Paint and varnish too.

win_20221014_17_26_16_pro.jpg

win_20221011_21_59_45_pro.jpg

Advert
      Joel AUSTIN
      Participant
        @joelaustin63572

Skipper Coastal 15 – Ruby Tuesday

Joel AUSTIN
        Participant
          @joelaustin63572

I didn't shape the hull but I did cut out much wooden block to lighten and add seating, and painted it too. I did cut back the steel fin keel as I was adding a rudder. Copied much from online photos of original boat, but adapted from sloop to cutter. Made vane gear too.

win_20221011_22_32_02_pro.jpg

win_20221014_17_45_34_pro.jpg

win_20221014_17_26_37_pro.jpg

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Joel. I would not want to put a label on it to be honest. As far as it goes you have built most of it barring the hull from scratch, however strictly speaking the hull is NOT scratch built as it’s a commercial item.

We have discussed the scratch built topic several times here and everyone has their own idea on what this constitutes.

I say no more!

Ashley (nice job, by the way..love the steering gear!)

Edited By ashley needham on 15/10/2022 08:35:24

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Scratch building definition is probably one of the most subjective topics regarding modelling and just about everyone has his own point of view on the subject. For me, I have given up trying. Most of my models are a combination of either kits, bashed around and up graded with scratch built areas added or scratch built with manufactured details added afterwards. Whatever helps me achieve my goal is fine with me.

At the end of the day i would suggest that you use whatever means available to you to achieve the result you are happy with. If this means using ready made parts to enhance a scratch built model then feel free to do it. I would definitely avoid trying to modify your approach to please those who remain inflexible and preach that it isn't a proper model if it isn't scratch built. At the end of the day someone can build a plank on frame hull then someone else can declare it isn't 'really' scratch built because the planks were pre cut!

I wouldn't worry about it, just do what you enjoy and do what Ashley suggests and don't try to put a label on it.

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

osp 1 170721.jpgHi Joel,

I love the question

I my book if you start with a drawing/sketch and end up with a boat that is scratch building.

If I build to another person's drawing that's built from plans

If using someone's plans without construction details shown I'd say that was also scratch built .

Your boat is a modification of an existing hull which I would be worrying about ! forming the cockpit as you have removed the buoyancy of the original wood hull so if potentially if capsized may sink ?? I would try a flooding test before you take it to the lake ??

Regards Rayimg_20200331_185223.jpg

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

Just out of interest Joel, why did you ask the question?

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Joel,

Looking at your floating test on another thread I see your perspex covers of the cockpit, are they air tight sealed ? maybe all ok

Regards Ray

Chris E
                    Participant
                      @chrise

Perhaps you should tell us who you want to count your model as scratch built.

As has been said above there is no universally accepted definition but who cares? You have started with pretty well nothing and ended up with a model of which you are, hopefully, proud and which gives you pleasure. Isn't that enough?

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

yes, i would say you are scratch building most of the new parts……….has my vote.

Joel AUSTIN
                        Participant
                          @joelaustin63572

Ashley – I saw your comment about multiple threads, good point. As newbie to forums I was unsure about different aspects to my questions and build – sorry.

Ray – yes, cockpits covered by cut-outs from cd cases. Very watertight – I held her under 10cm of water for 5 minutes timed – no tiny bubbles at all so I think ok. Glued in place by superglue then three coats of yacht varnish over edges. The 5 wooden caps (two forward, two middle, one large aft) cover drill outs of wood too – empty watertight spaces slightly more buoyant than the wood. I weighed the removed drilling and sawdust to get an approximate weight to see that it covered the extra weight I was adding.

Colin – I asked as I did not want to go bragging about my build unjustifiably – I want to show off to friends without getting knocked for it – first boat I have ever built, and will be the first boat I ever sailed. If I canvassed your opinions first I can then say, "Well, that's what other builders from model boats magazine think!" Ha.

Chris – neighbours and friends mostly – but I am hopefully attending the Sedgemoor Model Boat Club meetup this Sunday morning coming, for free sailing, and hope to earn some brownie points for my effort.

thanks everyone.

wink

Joel AUSTIN
                          Participant
                            @joelaustin63572

Ray – just been looking through your photos – wow! That's proper building – nice workshop too – my workshop was mostly a bedroom table so no where near as accomplished.

Joel AUSTIN
                            Participant
                              @joelaustin63572

Ashley – wow also – do your boat planes fly? 10 years ago I built a rubber powered piper cub on floats. On its maiden and only water based flight it took off easily from water due to the initial torquey thrust, but sadly upon landing tipped nose forward ending on her back – balsa too waterlogged and distorted to recover.

ashley needham
                              Participant
                                @ashleyneedham69188

Joel. The flying boats are just boats, although the Walrus will leave the water.

Trouble is nowadays that flying means registration and insurance and so on.

Ashley

540d57cc-525b-409e-a3de-78fd7c47b002.jpeg

Edited By ashley needham on 16/10/2022 07:58:32

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi Ashley/Joel

As we have discussed before the taking off is relatively easy, but the landing is the tricky part without any control surfaces

Regards Ray

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)