Beginner looking for a project

Advert

Beginner looking for a project

Home Forums Static modelling Beginner looking for a project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dave Ellar
    Participant
      @daveellar13130

Hello all. I am new to this site but am seeking your help, views or opinions already. I want to build a model ship but do not know where to start. I am good with wood and carve love spoons and other things to a fairly good standard so know my way around a shed. I want to make a boat/ship. I want to make one from scratch ut of wood. Whats the best way for me to start? Do I buy plans or is it best to get a book?

Ideally I would like to do something which I can link to the history of Burry Port / Pembrey are of Wales where I live.

Any advice at this early stage would be much appreciated.

Advert
      Dave Ellar
      Participant
        @daveellar13130
        Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Hello Dave

Welcome to our happy band

Without knowing some local history it would be difficult to suggest a subject.

Perhaps a better way to approach your problem is to ask what kind of boat / ship would you like to build, i.e. speedboat, cruiser, fishing boat, yacht, warship, cargo ship.

After choosing a type from this basic list the next thing is to consider how big a model you would like to make, i.e. 12 inches, 2ft, 3ft, 4ft…..etc.

When you have chosen a type (i.e. fishing boat) and how big you want it to be (i.e. 3ft) then we will be far better able to give you plenty of options.

I hope this helps

Paul

Dave Ellar
          Participant
            @daveellar13130

Thanks for the reply Paul. Its something like this I want to build:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SV_Paul

Its a wreck visable on my local beach. Its a four mast windjammer but I cant find any decent pictures yet but I will obviously do proper research. I think I will be looking to do something no more than 2ft long and a scratch buil from wood.

Where do I start?

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

Hi Dave,

Very unpopular subject, I am afraid. But I am always building similar vessels. Take a look at my website:

**LINK**

Or look at my Gallery of models on here.

Below is my little Wyoming, a similar vessel to your preferred type.

Bobwyoming.jpg

Paul T
              Participant
                @pault84577

Hi Dave

Now we have something to work with.

As you probably already know the Paul was launched in 1919 as the Mount Whitney

windjammer paul.jpeg This is the Mount Whitney just after launch.

The next thing to do is research the ship either on the internet or, and this might be better, your local library (as the Paul is a local landmark the library might have some information)

What you are looking for are plans and elevations [but its unlikely that you will find them] and as many photos or drawings that might exist.

Failing this you would have to find information on four mast windjammers of this period and adapt the details to suit the Paul. The problem is that without plans and elevations you will have to draw the plans for yourself, which for a sailing ship is quite a task.

I hope that this is of some help.

Paul

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

Looks like a standard American schooner. She had a length 230 feet, beam 45 feet and depth of 18 feet. Probably one of a standard design and common enough. Quite a lot of these standard plans are still around, just a matter of matching one up! Quite an easy model to build as well!

Bob

Dave Ellar
                  Participant
                    @daveellar13130

Thanks for the advice so far fellas, gives me plenty to be getting on with.

lnvisibleman
                    Participant
                      @lnvisibleman

I would suggest that you look here. There is a vast library of old ships to hunt through and I have found one 4 mast schooner that may fit the bill

**LINK**

Good luck

Mike

Bob Wilson
                      Participant
                        @bobwilson59101

The above link no longer works. The site once contained in excess of 270,000 ship images, sail, steam, merchant and naval. It had been building up for a number of years. Sadly, it had to be discntinued bvecause a small number of site visitors complained that copyright was being infringed, so the site owner, closed it down – never to return!sad I was not involved in the site, and did not even now who ran it! But it is an incredibly sad loss to maritime enthusiasts the world over, especially as the site owner was not making a penny from the site, and was maintaining it at his own expense!

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

Bob

Ships Nostalgia is an absolute goldmine for anything Marine

Well worth a visit

"Bob Abell of Manchester"

Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101

Yes,I agree, I have been a member for a number of years now!

Bob

Mark Somerville
                            Participant
                              @marksomerville80975

Hi

First you have to choose size of the boat. I done mmine using tutorial which one was find online. I found the answer over here http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?66. Have a look and tell me if you find something, if no send me a message I have video how to do this from the scratch.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)