Adhesives

Advert

Adhesives

Home Forums Beginners Adhesives

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Andy Barker
    Participant
      @andybarker11470

Didnt think Id have to ask this. Whats best adhesive to use for models. Just been looking and when you have page after page after page. Primarily for balsa to balsa, would prob use araldite for metal to balsa or thats what I was thinking.

Grateful for any info. The wife did point out that things will have moved on in 50 years. (very droll)

Advert
      Andy Barker
      Participant
        @andybarker11470
        neil hp
        Participant
          @neilhp

Aliphatic waterproof quick grab glue, for all timber to timber is the only one I, as a retired woodwork teacher of 25 years and a model boat maker of 63 years will recommend.

go on to ebay for it, plenty of traders will sell it, and if you look on my scratch build of the Barnett 61" lifeboat on the scratch section there is a picture on page 16, it is called Javis aliphatic

Andy Barker
          Participant
            @andybarker11470

Thanks Neil, thank the gods you can still buy proper wood glue. I dont remember seeing any 'proper glue' when I googled it. Seemed to be all variations of super glue.

Awesome models, wonder could I ask what you use for making the moulds and casting. just wondering if my grand daughter would notice some of her lego missing.

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

yes, i make the casting boxes from lego…………brilliant stuff for that purpose.

the plasticine, is just that …..modellers plasticine……….but have a good read of the process on my buld and it shows what to use and where to get it.

And its a great feeling when your parts come out as you want them.

Andy Barker
              Participant
                @andybarker11470

Hi Neil, I can see your albums, but how do I see your text to go with the photos.

Edited By Andy Barker on 20/02/2023 21:44:17

Edited By Andy Barker on 20/02/2023 21:45:33

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi Andy,

You would need to look at Neil's build threads to see the description of what he's doing in the photos.

Everybody has their favourite glues, mine is Gorilla Wood Glue for boats & planes, balsa cement also a favourite !

Poundland superglue I would say as good as many.

Lidl are selling cheap epoxy this week half the price of named brands, I always thought Araldite was the first available, my dad was using it 50 years ago and still expensive

Regards Raylidl epoxy.jpg

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Andy just look through the forum categories and pick out a thread started by Neil. His latest is the Lifeboat here:

Neil's 61' lifeboat build

As regards glues it is, and always has been a bit of a minefield. Usually gluing two pieces of the same material together is reasonably straightforward as there are plenty of glues for specific materials. The real challenges come when you try to glue multiple materials, particularly plastics to wood and metals. For metal to balsa araldite might be good enough but again look at the particular araldite as there are a number of different ones. The strongest is the old slow setting type. A very good multi-material glue is Stabilit Express, but it is eye wateringly expensive.

My general purpose glue is good old PVA, or white glue, and I use that for all woods. I guess I grew up through the system a few years after Neil when white glue was coming into its own so I'm more familiar with it. I like the way it is extremely versatile and I use it mixed with powders as caulking, heavily watered down as a consolidating agent etc. It's also so easy to wipe the excess away with a damp cloth to give a very neat fillet.

I've just been through a particularly difficult build where the hull was vac formed plastic and the internals was wood. After experimentation araldite simply peeled off alarmingly easily and Stabilit Express seemed to hold pretty well. The deck was a big challenge though as Stabilit Express would have started to cure before I could have applied it all round. Eventually I discovered that good old thick polystyrene cement worked best. If I tried the thin variety it soaked into the wood before it had time to dissolve the surface of the plastic!

You can see why so much has been written on the subject!

Tim Cooper
                    Participant
                      @timcooper90034

Andy

I have thin superglue and epoxy from the pound shop, and thick superglue from Amazon. Plus polystyrene cement for the odd figure that needs to be put together.

Like Richard I use white PVA for wood. Evostik exterior in the blue bottle

Tim

Andy Barker
                      Participant
                        @andybarker11470

Thanks for every ones input. seems a bit like every one has their favourite. Going to a model shop tomorrow, see what they have in (would rather support a local shop than buy on line). after I get the plans rescaled.

If I remember will ask if the printer does a postal service. Someone else might be interested. costing around £10 for scan and print.

Andy

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

When I get plans scanned and printed I ask for the PDF to be emailed to me.

Chris

Dave Reed
                          Participant
                            @davereed72029

Hi Andy,

If you opt for a postal service, check how they will package it.

A rolled up plan can be easily smoothed out, not so easy with a creased folded one.

Dave

ashley needham
                            Participant
                              @ashleyneedham69188

I would have thought most print places would scan to a usb device and print. I have had pdf’d Plans printed.

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi All,

A word to the wise, just ask for prints as just a size reduction of 50% I always get 1 for a spare to cut up.

All my draft plans for the magazine are sent folded to Morton's for scanning and they email the pdf to their draftsman/CAD man Grahame in Corfu, not such a bad place to work !

Chris maybe lucky with pdf's for no extra, but mention scanning to a pdf and they will charge you extra for that service ! (well in Kent they do )

I took the Sea Urchin drawing for enlarging as a pdf from Harry on a memory stick, it just cost for the A1 print

My build article of the 28" version will be in the next issue.

My print shop charge circa £2.50 for an A1 print but to scan to a digital pdf A1 £25 !!!!

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop
                                  @colinbishop34627

Think Grahame is now in Paxos. If so, hope to meet up with him in May from Parga on the Greek mainland.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

Hi Colin,

I knew he was somewhere pretty warm

We keep in touch via email, He's re-drawn around 30 of my designs over the years which include aeroplanes for RCM&E. Top bloke ! give him my regards if you see him.

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop
                                      @colinbishop34627

I think he used to live in Cofru but moved to Paxos.

We stayed at Parga last year and it is a lovely spot. We took a boat day trip to Paxos, another great destination..

We are revisiting Parga in May .May meet up with Grahame then.

Colin

01 parga.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 22/02/2023 19:48:23

Edited By Colin Bishop on 22/02/2023 19:48:54

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Hi Colin,

Well it's all happening in May ! my sisters and I have booked a week on the Norfolk Broads on a 40ft Herbert Woods cruiser "Delight", so now you know what the next build will be in the autumn 1/12th scale

Regards Ray

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)