Fisher 34 motorsailer

Advert

Fisher 34 motorsailer

Home Forums Scratch build Fisher 34 motorsailer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 226 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    Eddie Lancaster
    Participant
      @eddielancaster

It’s a nice feeling when all that work comes together in a successful sail, even when it needs a few more tweaks, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Regards.

Eddie.

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943

Great that the raked keel did the trick George. Saves having to mess about with moving the keel back etc.and you can use the time more productively in fettling the new fin now.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Chris

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

I had partially encapsulated the ugly keel plates only to discover that I have managed to squeeze the forked bit at the top so that it did not fit over the width of the keel any more. Film crew had ordered a new lakeside session so had to hack at the epoxy filler a bit to open up the keel fork so it fitted across the hull keel. A bit of a nuisance but not difficult to fix. The next cold spell will see the keel off again and a new dose of filler to fix the demolition work of this morning.

George

20210418_161751.jpg

gecon
          Participant
            @gecon

Oops, I will be painting the new shiny wing keel asap. Reflecting like mad from 25cm below the surface!

George20210419_143237.jpg

gecon
            Participant
              @gecon

20210421_152812.jpg20210421_152907.jpgThe shiny raked keel (Moonraker?) has now been removed and the galvanised angle irons have been ecapsulated in 1.5mm aluminium sheet and strategically faired with lightweight epoxy filler.

There is lots of discussion about painting alu' and/or galvanised steel. Some say rub it down+degrease it and just paint it. Others say special undercoat/primer must be used. I've bought a rattle-can of alu'/galvan' primer which will be tested outdoors in a day or two when the wind calms down a bit. It'll get a dose of the 'standard' dark blue alkyd/enamel ca.24hrs. after that.

George

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

Apart from the reflection from the keel the boat looks great on the water George.

Keel is looking a lot better now!

Chris

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

I have managed to open an account (more by chance than ability) and uploaded some video footage. Picture quality on YouTube is not as nearly as good as the original videos but maybe that can be improved at some stage.

So far, I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm doing it anyway. Find out about posting links later, but the videos can be found by Google-ing "Model Fisher 34 motorsailer".

Still need to do some adjustments of genoa sheet travel and a few other small details as well as painting the new keel.

George

gecon
                  Participant
                    @gecon

Correction: I note that googling "Model Fisher 34 motorsailer 1/12th scale" seems to work better.

Wish all a good weekend,

George

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

As mentioned earlier tody on my Colin archer build log, I am posting a few YT adresses for video of the Fisher 34 Motorsailer. The cheapish Roam 2 camera wedged into the wheelhouse produced reasonable results but the the videos are too long.

May try to edit these sometime in the winter and produce something a bit less boring. The first trip out with the Fisher resulted in power failure to the R/C -but not the camera. So the film shows the Fisher pottering about -uncontrolled- for ages until at last I could wade out and retrieve it. Not sure if I have a link to that.

If any decent footage is shot in future, I'll post a link here.

George

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dSHAE0-0qGc&t=320s          Fisher 34 view from helm. 2nd test sail – now fitted with a dedicated receiver battery.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D8pmchx4ork          Fisher 34 with reefed sails

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a4EULiNFajU           Fisher 34 view from helm, motoring with reefed sails.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C8yBulJfcKI&pp=QAFIAQ%3D%3D          Fisher 34 sailing i gentle breeze.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yBQ2HduIOow          Fisher 34 under sail

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-wi60xzHmsA&t=5s         Fisher 34 in flat calm

Edited By gecon on 19/08/2022 07:54:42

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

This is the link to the maiden voyage where the R/C packs up due to high load from the winch servos. The end shows me in waders wiating to retrieve! I believe I posted it on YT earlier but could not find it this morning so posted again.

Richard Simpson
                        Participant
                          @richardsimpson88330
                          gecon
                          Participant
                            @gecon

Thanks again Richard!

George

Viewing 12 posts - 226 through 237 (of 237 total)