Chez-When – 34″ Sailing Cruiser

Advert

Chez-When – 34″ Sailing Cruiser

Home Forums Sailing Models Chez-When – 34″ Sailing Cruiser

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

Will be good to see you at BW , I will be there 9.00 – 11.00, I need to shoot off early to Westbury Wiltshire to pick up my sister who's staying up our way for the week. Shame your friend is moving I thought you rather enjoyed you Broadstairs stays !!

She will be dark blue topsides and cabin sides, white coach roof & very expensive grey deck paint

All the best Ray

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi All,

I managed to get to a chandlers at Maldon Essex the other day, and have bought the light blue International deck paint the pukka stuff, we don't want the crew slipping and falling overboard !!

May be enough for 50 model boats I hopecw paint.jpg

Regards Ray

timg
        Participant
          @timg12590

Hi Ray

Have you had chance to continue your build?

She is looking really nice

Have you built her as per the plan (apart from the cabin roof)?

Is everything on the plan needed to build or do you need the magazine article aswell?

I ask because I'm looking for my next build early next year but want to start picking materials up . I'm looking for abit of a Sunday sailer to sail in light to medium wind .

Thanks

Timg

timg
          Participant
            @timg12590

Hi Ray

Have you had chance to continue your build?

She is looking really nice

Have you built her as per the plan (apart from the cabin roof)?

Is everything on the plan needed to build or do you need the magazine article aswell?

I ask because I'm looking for my next build early next year but want to start picking materials up . I'm looking for abit of a Sunday sailer to sail in light to medium wind .

Thanks

Timg

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Tim,

Amazing coincidence your query timing ! as today Frank Parsons is making my sails smashing service ! he's so busy the lead time is about 5 weeks.

I completed the hull and superstructure, mast & boom back in June and she went up the loft as I was into other things, but now the sails are due I will get her down and start the rig. I have built a stern tube in so motoring will be possible, I would build her as I described with the bulkheads extended to the board, which keeps her true.

The magazine article is not essential If your ok with the drawing, good luck with her if you want the article PM your email and I can scan ping you a copy.

She is a good sized boat when complete, so making the keel detachable was a good idea for transportation.cw june 080621.jpg

Regards Ray

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

Hi Ray,

Your Chez-When is looking splendid. Look forward to some photos under sail. But I expect you'll want some spring weather for the photo shoots?

My railway excursion will be over by the 12th day of Christmas at the very latest, and I'll be in the shipyard again where I belong. smiley

George

timg
                Participant
                  @timg12590

Hi Ray

That's a top job, great choice of colours , I'm sure she will sail as good as she looks.

Could you please send me a copy of the article (no rush) because I have found the plans for sale but mentioned a surcharge to search/ scan and clean up the plan which makes me wonder how clear or not the plans are..

Thanks

Timg

Ps. Pm sent

Clive KAY
                  Participant
                    @clivekay82397

servo fitted.jpgHi Ray,

Are you still making headway with the Silhouette, I'm also building this model from the Magazine plan, well its been an on going project which was started in 1988 !, but since retirement I have been getting on with it.

I love you idea about fitting an internal motor and would love to pick your brains regarding this addition

Thanks

Edited By Clive KAY on 10/03/2022 16:27:34

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hello Clive,

Ask anything you want, mine has been up the loft for the winter, I had made a wooden mast, but looks like I need a grooved Ali mast to suit the Nylet sails I had made, doesn't help me having 5 or so projects on at a time

Regards Ray

Clive KAY
                      Participant
                        @clivekay82397

Hello Ray,

Thanks for the reply, I have not got around to the Mast or boom as yet, still debating what to make them from .

I'm really interested in where you have place the motor and the connection down to the prop (sizes type of motor,prop etc)

Regards Clive

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Clive,

As you will see earlier in the build photos, I put a slot in the keel for the stern tube, which is a 8" tube with a 4mm threaded shaft , a standard Huco type coupling and a 400 size brushed motor, which will eventually drive a 30mm brass 3 blade prop.

The photo is rubbish as the whole set up is now deep in the hull, you will need to make the cockpit floor and cross bench removable for access.. the motor is wedged into the bulkhead opening, should be ok with some epoxy.

Don't worry about the build starting in 1988, I have a boat I started in 1972 part built

Regards Raycw motor & coupling.jpg

Clive KAY
                          Participant
                            @clivekay82397

Hi Ray,

Thankyou for your prompt reply in connection to my questions, now looking toward a motor installation similar to yours , thanks for your help

Clive

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi All,

Here's the old project finally being completed for launching in a couple of weeks, Thanks to Frank at Nylet for the sails, just putting a single Hitec lever arm servo for the main sail , not sure if the scale rudder will be big enough but I have left some holes for an add on if required. Been to Tool Station this morning for the Cyano recommended by David this morning

Regards Raysil sails 240622.jpg

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330

Superb Ray, and I'm a great fan of incorporating the figure like you've done to really bring it to life. Makes you want to read "Swallows and Amazons" again!

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

sil 1 250622.jpgHi Richard,

Your right being brought up on Swallows & Amazons book always gave me the longing to be on the water, cost me a bloomin fortune over the years sil 2 250622.jpg

Regards Ray (looks better in the sunlight)

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

Looks lovely Ray and should sail as well as it looks.

You're right about the longing to be back on water again. Only last night I booked a few days in a little hotel alongside the Norfolk Broads. Last time we went was many years ago with some friends and hired a boat. It will be great just being near the water again and looking at the boats and maybe renting one for the day or taking a trip of some sort.

Chris

gecon
                                    Participant
                                      @gecon

Lovely little yacht Ray yes. Looking forward to seeing her on the water. She's a good size, so should sail well.

George

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Hi all,

Small test on the paddling pool , floats on her marks, but need a bigger pool

Bluewater tomorrow for a proper test ..

Regards Raysil pool 080722.jpg

Clive KAY
                                        Participant
                                          @clivekay82397

That light Blue navigation light at the top of the mast looks a bit Big laugh.

Definitely looking good , looking forward to see some action shots

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

sil 3 090722.jpgsil 2 bw 090722.jpgHi Clive,

Well spotted we just love those solar bulbs round the garden

Yesterday's first outing went well in light airs, she is not going to be a racer but pleasant to sail, could do with slightly more keel weight further down, and the rudder needs enlarging, as its the scale size worked better than I thought i would to be honest. I did anticipate this so 2 holes are already drilled in the brass rudder for the extension.

So all in all a good result, and looks proper with the Action Man at the helm sil 1 bw 090722.jpg

Regards Ray PS. Thanks to Frank Parsons at Nylet for the lovely sails

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 10/07/2022 09:21:32

Colin Bishop
                                              @colinbishop34627

Yes, the crew figure immediately draws the eye and really enhances the appearance.

A lovely little boat with character.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Thanks Colin,

I always wanted a real one, bit late now for all that hands and knees stuff. I had a Fireball dinghy for a while same length as the Silhouette but it sure did plane well !!

When the weather is like this I miss having a boat, but for the other 9 months a year maybe not

Regards Ray

Clive KAY
                                                Participant
                                                  @clivekay82397

20220710_093242.jpg

Colin Bishop
                                                    @colinbishop34627

Yes, that's sailing for you Ray. Infrequent periods of pure bliss, long periods of moderate to severe discomfort and occasional periods of sheer terror… (in the Solent anyway).

Colin

Clive KAY
                                                    Participant
                                                      @clivekay82397

Used to have a wooden built silhouette when I lived in Jersey, was able to get it up on the plane often, the boat used to 'hum'

My new on is coming along slowly, I cheated on the top hatch making it somewhat out of scale to allow easier access to equipment.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 79 total)