Chez-When – 34″ Sailing Cruiser

Advert

Chez-When – 34″ Sailing Cruiser

Home Forums Sailing Models Chez-When – 34″ Sailing Cruiser

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

chez when article.jpgHi All,

As I hav'nt started a new build this year so far, and having tried in vain to tempt Dave Cooper to build one, I ended up making a start with the bulkheads, She is described in the Radio Modeller in 1971.chez when 2.jpg so here we go again

Regards Ray

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Silhouette by Robert Tucker Plan RM86

Eddie Lancaster
        Participant
          @eddielancaster

Hi.Ray, I have just got out my copy of the Chez-When drawings, that is a lot of boat!

I am still working on the two hulls of the IOM Nimrod3, I must post a few pictures of progress.

Regards.

Eddie.

Tim Rowe
          Participant
            @timrowe83142

Hello Ray and Eddie

Another great subject. I am refurbishing a Boxkite IOM for a friend while he is stuck in the UK. Would love to see some photos of the Nimbus? 3 coming along. Remind us why you are building two. You're not thinking of a catamaran are you??

I am planning an IOM build. A new Frank Russell design called Ellipsis. Click here to see it.

I think Ray should build an IOM (here's a challenge) and if he does I will make him a set of A Rig sails in 50 micron Mylar for evaluation.

Regards to both

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Tim,

As always a very nice offer of sail making which I will take you up on How are things on the island covid wise? we are still locked down but the numbers are looking better each day and I have my first jab booked for next week.

We are itching to get out of the country for some sun !! but probably not going to be this year

Regards Ray

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

This will be another beautiful yacht Ray. Looks nice and spacious, though the cockpit may 'intrude' a bit. Are you going to build the original 'contraption' for sail control -or use a large closed-drum sailwinch?

A large hard chine hull is deffinately attractive compared to hundreds of 'planky-de-planks'.

Do I detect space for a stern tube?

Looking forward to the progress photos.

George

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi George,

The contraption on the article may have been the only way back in 71 ?

No, I'm a fan of lever servo winch and a with simple self tacking jib, I like to keep things simple, less to go wrong

I'm more focused upon the removable keel to let her sit on her bilge keels, or just use one of my TS barge keels?

Regards Ray

gecon
                  Participant
                    @gecon

You are world famous for your removeable keels Ray! Well, almost.

I expect the keel-design and construction was sorted while you were cutting the bulkheads -or even earlier?

Will Chez-When be white-and-teak or mahogany maybe?

George

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi George,

Yes the removable keels are maybe a self inflicted complication to my builds? Actually not sure why I do it, habit I guess, both Wild Duck, Eventide or the cat will probably never have them removed

I think we will find some Mahogany on Chez When, and I fancy grey International deck paint, which means I'm going to spend some serious money !! 1 litre should do

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                      Participant
                        @eddielancaster

Hi.Ray, I know there is a lot of deck on that boat but, 1 litre of paint?

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

Yes rather extreme, but I've been using left overs from full size boating projects for many years and now I've run out of the light blue deck paint so I thought grey would be useful as Veronica's 5 years old and needs the decks repainting, I'm fairly sure 1 litre is the smallest size they do

Let's hope for so good news from Boris tonight !!

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi All,

Having cut the keel shape with it's extensions I thought I'd have a dry run before I start putting the doublers on, she is going to be a big girl 14" beam, may pick up on Georges idea of fitting an auxlliary motor.

Regards Raychez when 3.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi All,

Chez W has progressed and is set up on the board, with the keel having provision for a stern tube, and the obeche stringers glued in position, so far so good, some slight adjustments to the bulkheads shape required but that may just be my cutting ! they are all the same but different

KK Mini Super progressing in the background.

Regards Raychez when stringers.jpg

Chris Fellows
                              Participant
                                @chrisfellows72943

Progressing well (as usual!) Ray.

I might even start the Fisherman soon! blush

Chris

gecon
                                Participant
                                  @gecon

Ahhh Ray, my first R/C aircraft, the KK Mini Super. Used RCS single channel R/C. I seem to remember that it had some kind of sequential throttle control too. Painted in Humbrol bright orange. OS Pet 09 glow in the front, rather underpowered. Only lasted 2 flights! This info was not on my CV when applying for flying jobsembarrassed

George

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

Hi George,

Yes I bet many an intrepid aviator such as yourself had his roots in the KielKraft handbook of kits to build !!

The Mini Super is a new build second fuselage & tail, I still have an aileron wing from my 15 year old original MS , we gave the fuel soaked first one a Viking funeral, my grandsons like to burn things

You must give us a list of types you flew ? I still have my father in laws log books from the war, he recounted his most scary incident was doing casualty evacuation with a Tiger Moth and being bounced by 2 Hurricanes in Burma !!

Regards Ray

gecon
                                    Participant
                                      @gecon

Well Ray, you know I like to 'rant' on, but I suspect Colin would ban me from the forum if I responded fully to your suggestion. 14000 flying hours with 12500 of them on heavy helicopters over the North sea has produced several 'scary incidents'. A couple of them still give an 'action-replay' in my sleep!

I think it's best I stick with the gentle art of sailmaking -which is challenging but not very scaryvampsurprise

Cheers, George

Tim Rowe
                                      Participant
                                        @timrowe83142

Hello Ray

That's one chunky boat. How much is it going to weigh all up when finished?

Will make a nice stable-mate for your other yachts.

Have you got the shadows yet for the Nimbus?

Tim R

Eddie Lancaster
                                        Participant
                                          @eddielancaster

Hi. Tim, he hasn’t got them yet as he will need the drawings to go.with them, and I am still using them, but I will soon be finished with them, I had a delivery of the mast and rigging fittings today, the sails from Frank at Nylet arrived last Wednesday so I have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

chez template.jpgchez clamps.jpgHi All,

Well my friend Eddie egged on by Tim has just put the Nimbus shadows in the mail to me, I've been well set up here well and trulychez starb ply side.jpg !!!

Some progress on Chez, only for anybody who hasn't done this before a few pointers as I'm still learning

The side skin shapes are taken from the job on tracing paper pinned to the stringers, that is then transferred to the 1/16" ply and cut to shape. Back in the Aerokits days the skins would have been glued and brass pinned to the stringers, but if you have enough mini clamps from Poundland they do the job well ! once the Gorilla PVA waterproof glue has set trim the sides with a block plane, so far so good

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                            Participant
                                              @eddielancaster

I’m pleased to hear that I am still regarded as a friend laugh.

I for one will be looking out for your build progress, the Mahogany should look good.

ChezWhen is looking good and coming on a-pace.

Regards.

Eddie.

Chris Fellows
                                              Participant
                                                @chrisfellows72943

You are Eddie, I don't know about Tim though! wink

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hi All,

Well she has made her bid for freedom from the building board with the frame extensions removed and sitting in her stand, tempted to keep going but will be taking a break now while I finish off fit radio to chez hull on stand.jpgsome boats for the new season

YM Eventide, Osprey trip boat, HMS Cossack, and MS Oldenburg.

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                                  Participant
                                                    @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, that’s a nice curve on the deck line, she will be a big girl with that broad beam laugh.

You will be busy this Easter with four new boats to launch and trial, as long as Admiralty will allow.

Besr wishes.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

The Admiralty will be pleased to see the back of me Working at home is great, but it also has some drawbacks !!

The new bandsaw is a revelation ! like the proverbial knife through butter.

The Silhouette is a clever design with that reversed shear on the deck line which gives more volume in the cabin and a nice low cockpit, always fancied a real one, but I soon discovered the hard way the best sort of boat belongs to someone else

Regards Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)