Tip Sea 2016

Advert

Tip Sea 2016

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Tip Sea 2016

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    harry smith 1
    Participant
      @harrysmith1

Hi All

I bought this old boat for a song and it was totally different to what I usually like in boats.

It maybe a total lemon, but, I though some one has to give it a bit of love!!

As the photos will show from day one, she will require a great lot of TLC.

At 800 mickey mouses by 400 mickey mouses it is a fair size log.

Advert
      harry smith 1
      Participant
        @harrysmith1

Old I/C racer from the tip shop $15 AU

harry smith 1
        Participant
          @harrysmith1

top view.jpgstern.jpgradio bay.jpgengine bay.jpgdrive line and turn fin.jpgbow.jpgbow underside.jpgHi All

Back with some photos of the hole in the water!!!bottom.jpg

Dave Milbourn
          Participant
            @davemilbourn48782

Harry

I think you were robbed, but good luck, mate. You''ll need it.

Dave M

harry smith 1
            Participant
              @harrysmith1

Removed the old fibreglass from the bottom between the two middle spray rails.

It came off easily, looks like the matting was placed on first and the resin did not grip the wood to well.

Re-build the nose section after removing the deck.

Also clean off all the dirt etc.

A few dents on the edges to fill, not to bad.fibreglass resin inner front.jpg

Next remove all the old engine mounts, drive line, turn fin.

I will replace the two stringers and renew the keel, as I plan on installing a stinger drive with 4mm flex drive.

May paint it lemon yellow Dave!!!!

harry smith 1
              Participant
                @harrysmith1

new plywood strips.jpgInto it day, cutout the old stringers and keel.

Added two 10 x 10mm stringers.

Re made the keel with stringer strips each side.

Cut out two 2mm plywood skins.new stringers and keel under side.jpg

harry smith 1
                Participant
                  @harrysmith1

Hi All

I finally got the answer on this boat!!!

It is a Jap kit boat based on the Northwind 40.

One for my old work mates bother build one and thinks he still has it.

Waiting for more info and my parts to come from Hobbyking.

Planning a 35mm 1900kv brushless on 4S with a 37mm 3 blade alloy prop.

Harry

harry smith 1
                  Participant
                    @harrysmith1

Hi All

Finally had time to do more on the boat(this retirement is hell, no holidays and no sick leave).

I reskinned the centre of the bottom and the repaired bow section was still a problem.

I removed the old skin and replaced the plywood with new.

Spray putty the plywood to seal the wood and sanded the bottom with a long sand paper piece glue onto a 4 x 2" bit on timber.

Fibreglass resin the repaired area.

Topsides next!!

The old radio area IS SO LARGE you can fit two 6 channel receivers and 11 servos , sound unit and an ESC!!!

harry smith 1
                    Participant
                      @harrysmith1

Hi All

Started on the topsides by adding 30mm to the forward deck to give the crew leg room from frame 2.

Also starting on two seats for the crew.

Found some nice bright British Paints Yellow and Black to paint the boat, as per Dave M's idea.

A bit of a lemon old mate, but, a dam fast lemon to eat up those Fairy's!!!!

With the weather a bit cold down south in Tassie drying is slow!!!

So I am working between a few models and fixed the next doors laptop by a new install of Windows 10,Offfice 2010, Antivirus ,Malware , Abode Reader , Corel draw x7 and added a few TV series,

Dave Milbourn
                      Participant
                        @davemilbourn48782

Harry

Lemon yellow??!! OK, so I reckoned you'd bought a lemon, but painting it that colour was your idea, m'duck. My Faireys travel at about scale speed whereas your models all seem to use warp drive! I always think of you as "Harry the Larrikin". I guess when you have a vast empty lake to sail on you can indulge a need for speed. The pond where I sail is pretty small in comparison, but very scenic and peaceful…

papplewick pond.jpg

Dave M

harry smith 1
                        Participant
                          @harrysmith1

Hi Dave M

MASTER OF NONE ,but, think out side the square and have a go!!!

Nice house ewe have mate or is that only the workshop !!

My test area is only 500 metres x 2000 metres(tidal) with a personal jetty!!!

As for the yellow it may slow the boat as RED would make it TOO FAST!!!

After reading MMI on the specs of the old Merco 61 the D3548/4 on 3S is over on power but under on rpm by about 800 rpm.

So my Sea Commander is a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing!!!!!!!

Quiet and very good a scale speed , but, on throttle would give a speedboat a bit of a test!!!

My Sea Hornet is the same, but, more speed!!

Sorry I am Australia!!!

Dave Milbourn
                          Participant
                            @davemilbourn48782

Owd up, m'duck (as they say round here). That's far too many !!!'s for me; I can't read that loud any more.

That magnificent Victorian edifice in the picture is Papplewick Pumping Station (**LINK**) and the pond is probably nearer to 100m x 50m, although there is a concrete "jetty" all the way round it…….and it doesn't have Box Jellyfish or 'Salties'.

To each his own – including model boats painted lemon yellow and black, it seems.

DM

harry smith 1
                            Participant
                              @harrysmith1

Hi M'duck

That is one beautifully pumping station!!!

I love the old buildings but they are too cold to live in!!!

The box jellyfish and the salties do not live in Tasmania(too cold)!!!

Tassie Devils do!!!

My Tassie Tiger is so cuddly(HA HA)!!!

As for the paint job, I was not thinking at colour at the time, but, why not!!!

The boat is only different , old, unloved, but, Doctor Harry will Fix .

We all get it to projects that are love jobs!!!

Dave Milbourn
                              Participant
                                @davemilbourn48782

Seeing it in steam will have to go onto your Bucket List, Harry. To anyone a tad nearer to Nottingham than Hobart I can recommend a splendid day out next weekend, which is the next scheduled steaming event. Details are on the PPS website. Give your soul a treat…

Dave M

harry smith 1
                                Participant
                                  @harrysmith1

Hi Dave M

Added to the long Bucket List.

Only have to find the other Bucket with all the cash!!!!!!

I would use up a few summers to get around the whole of Britain to see what's on my Bucket List.

Another few summers in America to drive a few of the cars I like!!!

Also ten summers to cruise Australia with a van(and some model boats to play with).

I would have to find six more summer places to fill out ten years of NO WINTERS !!!!!!

I showed my old work mate this posting and your replies!!!

He said I have not lost my stirring the pot at people!!!!

Harry the Larrikin

harry smith 1
                                  Participant
                                    @harrysmith1

Hi All

Installed the forward deck, sanded and spray putty as well.

Also installed the rudder and sat the servo in the small 20 x 21 cm radio area.

Found a new servo rod and ends, drilled the hole in the stern.

Finally a bit of spray putty on the bottom so I can post a few pics.

Sorry Dave M no yellow in spray putty, but, a bit of Fairy Blue!!!

Harry the LARRIKIN

harry smith 1
                                    Participant
                                      @harrysmith1

stern view.jpgrepaired forward deck2.jpgrepaired forward deck1.jpgrepaired bottom3.jpgrepaired bottom2.jpgrepaired bottom1.jpgHi All

Cracker of a day, started installing the brushless motor mount.

My alignment tool works great, cut up some old deck alloy to get some L brackets for the motor mount.

Bolted these to the Hobbyking water cooled engine mount with 3mm nuts and bolts.

Removed the brushless motor and bolted on the alignment tool with a short length of 4mm shaft.

This was a bit loose in the flex Teflon tube, so add a bit of heat shrink and it's a solid fit !!!

Bit of luck, the L bracket sat on the bottom of the boat at the rear end and with some 10mm square timber between the keel and the new 10mm installed stringers I have my start to fixing it the motor mount.

Adding a few pics, we all love pics, a picture show it all!!!

I think I require a beer, retirement is hard, no sick leave and no holidays!!!

ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !!!!mounting motor mount.jpg

Dave Milbourn
                                      Participant
                                        @davemilbourn48782

Harry

I'm sure it will look better with a few coats of paint and the lid on. Meanwhile I share your despair about retirement….I see my glass is empty again and then I've got to go and finish making two 1/16 scale windlasses from scratch. Life gets tedious, don't it?
                                        I was brought up sharp yesterday by a missive from the Dept of Work and Pensions, inviting me to apply for my State Pension as I am now within 4 months of retirement age. I haven't the heart to tell them that I haven't been in employment since 2006…

Dave M

harry smith 1
                                        Participant
                                          @harrysmith1

Hi Dave

Your government is as stupid as our dam one's!!!!

The last election over in Aussie, the government called an de-election and they said they won !!!

The minor parties won more seats and the major parties in my mind got screwed!!

It's a dog's breakfast!!!

The government is hanging on by the skin of they teeth!!

I would not tell them, if they are so dam stupid!!!

Lead is more useful in boats!!!

Harry the LARRIKIN

PS It's only 10 years, it's a typing error!!!

Not You fault!!!

I am old and I cannot remember things!!!!

harry smith 1
                                          Participant
                                            @harrysmith1

Hi Ship Mates

Added two shaped blocks of wood for the motor mount.

Glued the L alloy brackets straight onto these and fibreglass resin the engine bay.

Mounted the rudder and stepped into a problem the rudder rubber tube would not fit the stern, so a short bit of brass tube and enlarged hole and another problem fixed.

It's all test mounted at present!!!

Started on the radio hatch and as it's 200 x 210 mm I am using two 10mm round magnets on each corner .

The radio compartment is only holding one servo and one receiver!!!!!

Looks like two model boats on the back of a low loader 18 wheeler truck!!!

The engine hatch is a problem in that I would like to add some kind of windscreen and two chaps but at present a full hatch and get the boat working with the drive angle and balance point right to start with.

Sir lest Harry the Larrikin, not Sir Harry Sea come!!!

Dave Milbourn
                                            Participant
                                              @davemilbourn48782

Harry

I've found a new keyboard for you – it'll save you oodles of time!

exclamationkeyboardrect2.jpg

harry smith 1
                                              Participant
                                                @harrysmith1

Hi Dave

I found the keyboard in a Sussex, but, I cannot find the Aussie-English spell checker!!!!!

The LARRIKIN

Dave Milbourn
                                                Participant
                                                  @davemilbourn48782

I found the keyboard in a Sussex

Have you been on the Toohey's New, Harry?

BTW Did you know that the bloke who invented predictive text died this week? His funfair is next monkey.

DM

harry smith 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @harrysmith1

stern top view.jpgengine hatch 2.jpgengine hatch 1.jpgradio hatch 2.jpgHi All

Adding a few pics.

Made the radio hatch and with 4 double 10mm round magnets holding it down.

Started on the engine hatch and moved the crew to the rear of this area with the motor between them.

That will kept them warm!!

The battery and ESC are going in the old IC mount area.

radio hatch 1.jpg

harry smith 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @harrysmith1

I installed the top cover for the engine hatch and worked out windscreen designs.top side view 2.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)