Precedent Huntsman 34″

Advert

Precedent Huntsman 34″

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Precedent Huntsman 34″

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    harry smith 1
    Participant
      @harrysmith1

Fibreglass Hull

Advert
      harry smith 1
      Participant
        @harrysmith1

huntsman6.jpghuntsman5.jpghuntsman4.jpghuntsman3.jpghuntsman2.jpgHi All

I bid and won this on Gumtree for $200 AU with a Merco 40, starter, glow plug panel, radio, fittings and plans.

It is an unfinished project and requires a bit of TLC.

The deck and cabin are painted all blue which looks crappy.

The radio, motor and starter are to be sold off.

I am guessing it has old school 3/16 drive line so I will replace the bearing and shaft and install my spare 3648-1450kv brushless motor, 100A ESC, 4S Lipo 5800mah battery to run a 2 blade 40mm CNC alloy prop.

As I am going on the photos because I receive it tomorrow things may change a bit.

The forward deck has a hole in it and it looks like it's not glue down correctly.

I may call the Huntsman Guru, Sir Dave M on this one!!!

huntsman1.jpg

Dave Milbourn
        Participant
          @davemilbourn48782

Harry

I don't think they made many Merco 40's – and even fewer marine conversions – so that might be quite a valuable item you have there. As for the Huntsman, like you said it's far too blue!

DM

Paul T
          Participant
            @pault84577

Harry / Dave

Merco 40 marine….rare as hens teeth, very good engine.

Paul

harry smith 1
            Participant
              @harrysmith1

Hi Dave

I am thinking of a name for the boat!!

We have a country and western singer who had an album called TRUE BLUE!!!

Being apart of Australia, but they miss us from the news and weather a lot(as well as other things) I thought it would be an Aussie, but in keeping with the Fairley blue.

In our club we have a Fantome and Spearfish that requires their sterns kicked!!!

I like kicking butt and thinking out side the square !!!

Harry

harry smith 1
              Participant
                @harrysmith1

Hi Paul T

HEN' S TEETH IS FOUR SAIL!!!

Postage extra !!!

Hen not included !!!

No free beers!!!

No free wine!!!

A free mother in law !!!

HA. HAA !!!

Dave Milbourn
                Participant
                  @davemilbourn48782

What's in a name, Harry? How about "Miss Ann Thropy" (given your love of mainland Australians) – or maybe just "!!!!!"?

DM

Paul T
                  Participant
                    @pault84577

Harry

Your deal looked good until the last line,….. I've already got one of them.

For a name how about Digger Kicker,

Paul

harry smith 1
                    Participant
                      @harrysmith1

huntsman14.jpghuntsman13.jpghuntsman12.jpghuntsman11.jpghuntsman10.jpghuntsman9.jpghuntsman8.jpgHi All

Boat arrived today and in a bit better order than I thought it would be.

No windscreen so I will be looking for a full size temp. if one of you chaps have one please.

The driveline has not been fully installed so I will replace to lot.

The rudder looks a bit small, so into my spares for that.

The radio box was sitting on the exhaust pipe, so out that went.

The hole in the deck is a easy repair and I will strip plank it as well.

The crew are right on the ball !!

Harryhuntsman7.jpg

harry smith 1
                      Participant
                        @harrysmith1

removed ic motor.jpgremoved fence paling.jpgHi All

Busy day, removed IC motor, exhaust,shaft and rudder.

Cleaned up the engine bay( 3 hours what a lovely job I don't think).

Removed the blue painted fence paling which look crap!!!!

Found a rudder in the box which is the same width but 12mm deeper.

The larger prop on the boat is a 5577( maybe 1.4 pitch) far to big for the old Merco 40.

Thanks Dave M for the windscreen pattern, you can count on the Huntsman GURU .

Nice Bloke !!!

Harryup size rudder.jpg

harry smith 1
                        Participant
                          @harrysmith1

Hi All

Sold the Merco 40, starter and a 12V 7A Gel cell battery today, that's $50 off my $200 boat price.

Sack the lazy crew and my boys from the Sea Hornet on the job.

Some for the forward deck sanded off and the hole filled in.

Great job boys!!!

Next job remove and change the drive shaft angle to a more shallow angle, plus only installing a maximum 45mm prop.

The old IC motor had about 10mm clearance under the flywheel as I will that to 2mm and move the motor forward as well .

Harry

harry smith 1
                          Participant
                            @harrysmith1

Hi All

A bit of a change in I removed some more of the frame cross pieces that were cutoff( I use the term loosely).

As the forward and stern of the cabin did not have the same water spray rail around the deck as the sides.

I decided to add these to help stop water getting inside!!!

The crew have sanded down the old paint on both the forward and aft deck, jolly good workers these lads.

Harry

harry smith 1
                            Participant
                              @harrysmith1

Hi All

The blue paint was getting to me!!!

So I have DE-blue and trim up all the deck and inside.

The cutoff frames were ugly!!!

Post some pics soon as I do a bit of sanding up.

Harry

ashley needham
                              Participant
                                @ashleyneedham69188

I usually sand down, but of course, you are standing the wrong way up !!

​Ashley

harry smith 1
                                Participant
                                  @harrysmith1

Hi Ashley

You sand up under a boat and down in a boat !!!!

Harry

harry smith 1
                                  Participant
                                    @harrysmith1

new prop angle.jpgremoved old setup.jpgHi All

Well 4 hours to remove the driveline, rudder and water pickup!!

Rudder and pickup in with a bit of decking timber!!!

As I am waiting for new custom bearings, it's only a rough idea of to new shallow angle .

Maximum prop size is 45mm with 5mm clearance and I still have 10mm clearance under the motor mount.

At present I have not enlarged the driveline hole .

Harrynew motor mount.jpg

harry smith 1
                                    Participant
                                      @harrysmith1

Hi All

I am going with an all new driveline with a silver soldered brass strut and brass tubing, because of changing to a shallow angle on the drive line the original rudder is staying.

Hoping my lathe mate gets it all done before he trips off for a month holiday from retirement life!!!

Canabus

harry smith 1
                                      Participant
                                        @harrysmith1

cabin top 2.jpgHi All

Stripped out all the windows, removed both hatches and doors.

Removed the cockpit floor and seats.

The cockpit area is to low, also the cockpit is shorter than the original but the rear cabin is longer!!!

Removed lot of the blue paint, a bit more to go.

I think I require a stripper, that's paint stripper lads!!

My new driveline arrives Thursday.

Harrycabin top 1.jpg

Noel
                                        Participant
                                          @noel26080

Is that a water-cooled motor mount?

Is that the only cooling these brushless get?

harry smith 1
                                          Participant
                                            @harrysmith1

Hi Noel

Yes, it's a water cooled motor mount as I had it in my box of spares.

I have not used water cooling on brushless motors as I found with the right size prop it's not required.

As this boat had the setup for water cooling from the IC motor I thought to use it.

In my other boats I use Hobbyking car ESC's ( 45 to 100 Amp) which handle 2 to 4S batteries.

Harry

harry smith 1
                                            Participant
                                              @harrysmith1

rudder block installed.jpgmotor mount installed.jpgexhaust hole repair.jpgdrive line installed 2.jpgHi Chaps

Glued and fibreglass motor, prop shaft with strut and wooden rudder block, also filled in the old exhaust hole in the stern.

As I have changed the prop angle, I am going back to the original rudder with a 2mm piece on silicon fuel tubing at the bottom of the shaft.

Trimmed a bit of the rudder tube to add a 3mm piece of tubing between the rudder tube and the tiller arm.

My bit of safety so no to loose the rudder if the tiller arm comes off!!!

Harrydrive line installed 1.jpg

harry smith 1
                                              Participant
                                                @harrysmith1

Hi All

Did a ballast test today to see were the battery will sit, only rough but an idea on placement.

Harry

harry smith 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @harrysmith1

Hi All

Started repairing the cabin by adding an angle timber strip under the forward window and filling the edge to meet the deck.

This had a gap in the middle so looked ugly.

The aft window I added a plywood section back to the combing to strengthen the window areas on both the back and sides.

Harry

harry smith 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @harrysmith1

Hi All

Had the same problem with the stern window area, so two layers of masking tape on the deck and combings.

A big mix of Selley's plasti-bond and spread of the plywood extra panel.

Push the cabin down onto the deck and leave to harder.

I will remove the masking tape tomorrow, sand and filler spray undercoat.

Harry

harry smith 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @harrysmith1

side window 2.jpgside window 1.jpgfront window 2.jpgHi All

Repaired one side window and played with a car night/day vision plastic for the forward window.

Harryfront window 1.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)