Suitable static yacht kit for beginner

Advert

Suitable static yacht kit for beginner

Home Forums Beginners Suitable static yacht kit for beginner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard Frankel
    Participant
      @richardfrankel93829

Hello everyone

I've just joined the forum in order to hopefully gain some advice on building a static yacht kit for display.

For several years I've mulled over the Artesania Latina 'Pen Duick' but, notwithstanding current availability, I'm not at all sure if it's suitable as a beginners kit. Furthermore I've read the instructions can be somewhat lacking and open to interpretation.

I'm in my late-50's and have built plastic model kits (typically cars) for much of my life, so consider myself dexterous etc, but no doubt there's a totally different set of skills with wooden/brass models.

Is the 'Pen Duick' a suitable starter model?, If not, what else would you recommend to learn the common build techniques (ideally also a yacht, less interested in motor boats. Not interested in RC at all).

Many thanks in advance.

Advert
      Richard Frankel
      Participant
        @richardfrankel93829
        Dave Cooper 6
        Participant
          @davecooper6

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum.

You could do a lot worse than buying a copy of "Model Boats" magazine (about 6 GBP). The main suppliers advertise in there and should be able to advise you….

Also, the plans service, 'Sarik Hobbies' will list a variety of options often with a guidance for beginners. Some of their designs have a wood pack /kit that is also available. (Beware, balsa prices are sky-rocketing at the moment !).

Good hunting, and if you are stuck for ideas, come back to us.

Dave

ps just spotted a "Penn Duik" kit for sale on Ebay. It doesn't look to me like a 'beginner' class model though…

Edited By Dave Cooper 6 on 22/06/2023 10:10:56

Edited By Dave Cooper 6 on 22/06/2023 10:15:15

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Amati models do some static yacht kits, sold by various retailers including Hobbies:

Endeavour

**LINK**

Rainbow

**LINK**

Colin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)