Fairey Faun

Advert

Fairey Faun

Home Forums Build Blogs Fairey Faun

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

I should really be building the Fairey Fisherman 27 motor sailer next but as has often happened I've been side-tracked by another Fairey!

To be fair, it is a smaller and simpler build and I thought it would be a good introduction to plank on frame before I tackled the Fisherman. But of course I do have form for multiple builds! So who knows!

The Faun is a little 16' 6" lake and river cruiser and utilized the hull from their Falcon sailing dinghy and was designed to be powered by an outboard motor. It does look plain and uninteresting as you can see but I'm aware of a nice inboard version with plenty of varnished hardwood which looks better (similar to the photo shown) so that's what I'm going to build. I was going to build the outboard version (to do something different after the stern-drive Huntress) but it's difficult finding a decent outboard at a scale of 1:12. I have bought a couple that may be suitable so maybe later.

I produced the drawings about 2 years ago from the side and top views taken from a brochure. But looking at them again before printing them out I've decided to make planking the deck and the build easier by following DM's example for his Huntress etc. by removing the sheer and camber from the deck, which in a small model isn't that noticeable anyway.

So I'm now in the process of modifying the drawings in readiness for making a start.

I'm keen to start building again (even though I've got the others to finish) anyway, but also because I spend a night and a day at my mothers every week and as winter draws in I find myself at a loose end and daytime television is numbing the remaining brain cells I have left!

To do this I'm buying another scroll saw and probably a band saw to leave over there. My sister has also asked me to build a dolls house narrow boat and has already got the plans.

Chris

falcon1.jpg

drawing from brochure.jpg

Faun publicity

faun3.jpg

side view

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

No lifejackets!

Colin

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Chris,

That is a pretty little boat, going to be a challenge at 1/12th very small indeed ? how about 1 1/2" to the foot giving 24" long approx would give you a better chance ??

Only an idea

Regards Ray

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Chris. Cheat on the outboard. Make a dummy outboard and use it as a rudder, then have a motor shaft etc inside. Virtually indistinguishable from a #real outboard….?

Ashley.

ps perhaps not like this one…..

toyboata 1

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

Ray – yes it is small but got to be 1:12 to go with the other Faireys. I think it will be the smallest Fairey I'm going to build!

Ashley – that's an idea but as I'm building to scale, well as close as I can, I prefer to stick to the original propulsion.

Chris

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Altering the drawings is more work that I thought, though I'm making some modifications as well. Progressing quite well though.

Here's the outboards I picked up which are about the right size. Might go down that route at some stage? They aren't the best quality though and would have to be modified to steer. Also fitting the steering mechanism isn't the easiest thing to do in a small model.

Chris

outboards.jpg

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

Been progressing the drawings on and off along with painting the other hulls. Made quite a few changes as I went along but I think I'm now ready to print off and then work out what I need in the way of timber.

As I mentioned on one of Ray's builds I'm going to plank with balsa, though I can use sheet adjacent to the keel, with balsa block(s) at the bow.

Looking forward to trying a new to me building method.

The motor is my usual Overlander brushless and it's titchy, so cute! Prop will be a brass 20mm three blade. Rudder will also be brass and is deeper than full-size, scalewise.

This is really about the build as it's not going to be the most exciting boat on the lake!

Chris

faun templates for forum.jpg

motor.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 21/11/2022 19:33:44

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Chris,

This is a great little boat you have drafted and would make a great plan feature for the magazine My Eventide sailing cruiser is in the January issue, I just proofed the drawings.

Your problem maybe the ballast required at the stern to counteract the motor and radio at the front ??

Watching with interest.

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                      Participant
                        @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Ray. Yes, I saw in the latest mag. that Eventide was going to be in the next one.

Good point about the ballast. The blue thing is the battery, which will help but will have to see how things work out with the bath test!

Chris

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

Finished off the drawing side of things with a coloured side view to show what I'm aiming for.

Chris

faun coloured side view.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)