SLO-Mo-Shun IV 520 R/C set up

Advert

SLO-Mo-Shun IV 520 R/C set up

Home Forums R/C & Accessories SLO-Mo-Shun IV 520 R/C set up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John Logan 1
    Participant
      @johnlogan1

Can any one recommend current motor, coupling, servo, speed controller, battery R/C controller

for Billings wood model I’m building.
      Kit didn’t include specs or anything

Advert
      John Logan 1
      Participant
        @johnlogan1

Parts needed

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

Doesn't seem like the 'expertise' exists here, but If you google 'building the Billings slo mo shun' a few threads appear. I'm sure you'll find some reference to power trains. Don't know if they will help much though, you'll have be the judge of that. I assume you want more guff and less weight that the original Speed 600/700 and Ni-Cads shown on the plan.

George

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

John. Welcome to the forum! A quick search shows a number of builds on the old internet, didn’t look hard, I presume some of the must detail what gear they used.

For something like this, a fast boat, you will likely want a brushless motor, so a 35mm one say 1400-ish Kv might do on a LiPo battery, 3s.

The combinations are unfortunately endless and no one setup is “right”. I don’t know how big or heavy it is, but even 28mm motors at 200 watts and 1450 ish Kv might also be ok. Bearing in mind a 600/700 motor (generally) puts out nothing like 200 watts and a 28mm motor is 1/4 the weight.

Aircraft esc are ok if you don’t want reverse, current rating to overmatch the motor max rating by 50% or so would be suitable, or use a car reversing brushless one, Ora pukka marine esc.

Any servo will do. Standard ones or small ones.

Ashley

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Just had a better read of some of the build threads..not all…

Mostly they major on the actualbuild and not the power train.

At least one had good performance on a speed 600 , but one said, after using this motor, that a brushless 400 would have been better.

If you fitted a 35mm brushless motor on a screw-on mount, it would be very easy to change the motor for something more revvy or powerful .

Coupling…the plastic u/j style of couplings should be ok unless you get a really serious motor. Other than a solid coupling I have not used anything else.

Sorry, nothing definitive. Harry will likely chip in as he has more fast brushless experience.

Ashley

harry smith 1
              Participant
                @harrysmith1

Hi John and Ashley

CHIP, CHIP !!!

I recommend a Banggood Surpass Hobby C 3542-1450kv with a 100Amp ESC for up to 4S Lipo battery.

These are rated at 1050 Watts on 4S @21,480 rpm no load.

They have a 5mm shaft and are a good strong motor.

Same mount as a 540 brush motor.

Prop start with a 35mm surface one and may be move up to 40mm later.

Coupling Banggood have stainless steel ones with grub screws which handle the power.

Harry

Former Member
                Participant
                  @formermember67585

[This posting has been removed]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)