Ripmax or Mersey Marine fittings needed

Advert

Ripmax or Mersey Marine fittings needed

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Ripmax or Mersey Marine fittings needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1

Hi all,

I have just restored my 55 year old Sea Urchin and I am lacking the portholes that it came with when it was given to me way back then.

They are small chromed plastic ones that were sold by Keil Kraft and Mersey Marine. I would dearly love to find a couple and would even be happy with the plain grey plastic ones, (which I could always foil cover).

I have the lifebelts and steering wheel from the original gift, but the portholes have shot out of the hull during one of my many house moves. Now I have my Victoria Park V number, I've gone all out and built a wooden carry box for her.

I am also, rather more optimistically, looking for a set of Mersey Marine fittings for the 34 1/2" Aerokits Crash tender. I had a boxed set with the original kit 51 years ago and they were stolen about 15 years ago from a lock-up, as was the original R.E.P. Single channel R/C gear, which I am replicating with a friend's help who knows about valves.

I know I can get a set of the old Yeoman w/m fittings from IP Engineering, but they won't have the same authentic "feel". Then I can get round to finally finishing the old girl.

Many thanks,

Martin

Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Reade Models used to sell these but their website doesn't seem to be there anymore. Some of the fittings are advertised by the Model Dockyard though: **LINK**

so you could try them.

Also the Vintage Model Boat co do some fittings suitable for Aerokits: http://www.ip-engineering.co.uk/acatalog/Boat_Fittings.html

None of the above appear to be chromed though. Looks like you'd have to get some chrome paint.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Forum Moderator on 12/05/2014 18:05:49

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Thanks Colin. No such thing as chrome paint, so I use foil for chrome effects.

Vintage Model Boat Company is Ivor at IP Engineering. I used to make masters for his garden railway range.

I'll have a look at Model Dockyard too.

I was just thinking someone might have the real thing tucked away and not being used.

Cheers,

Martin

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

During an airbrushing course I attended last year there was a demonstration of Alclad Chrome paint which looked pretty effective to me!

Colin

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

I am sure I have seen chrome spray paint that was very very good.

Martin Field 1
                Participant
                  @martinfield1

Sorry, but as a metal basher, nothing looks like metal, but metal! Alclad (ironically an earlier brand name for dural coated thinly with pure aluminium) is a complete faff to apply with 2 different paints on a perfect substrate and still looks like paint to me. But when you're a huge fan of polished aluminium, you notice these things. I find foiling a complete doddle.

Martin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)