Restoration advice

Advert

Restoration advice

Home Forums Beginners Restoration advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sigrid Hillscan
    Participant
      @sigridhillscan14607

I am hoping to help my 10 year old grandson restore a wooden pond yacht. No idea of make or model. We have carefully removed the rigging (and recorded as best we could) which was very tangled and the sails were basically destroyed. The hull seems in pretty good shape, but the deck (which appears to be a single sheet of 1/4” veneer) has some cracks. I have found very little information so far, but read somewhere about removing the deck. It seems very well attached, so my first question is what is the best way to remove it? Any suggestions are very appreciated! Thank you!

Advert
      Sigrid Hillscan
      Participant
        @sigridhillscan14607

Wooden pond yacht found in trash pile

Dave Cooper 6
        Participant
          @davecooper6

Hi Sigrid and welcome to the forum

A few pictures would help especially of the 'damaged' areas….

You'll need to set up an "Album" first (use the grey bar at the top of the page with the little camera icon). Images can be taken with a smart phone and then posted into your album.

It's worth having a look through other modeller's albums as well to see other restorations in progress.

Good luck,

Dave

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

See instructions for loading photos here:

**LINK**

You will need to resize them as camera and phone images are too big to upload successfully.

Colin

Sigrid Hillscan
            Participant
              @sigridhillscan14607

Thanks to Dave ad Colin, I have posted a couple of pictures of the splitting/cracking on the deck of Oslo’s Yacht. I hope these will give enough information to allow others to give us some advice on how to proceed. The yacht has a 40” LOA and a 10” Beam. The deck is uninterrupted and slightly arched at the center. Thank you!

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Sigrid. Please take MORE pictures, especially of the rest of the boat/hull, as the deck spilts could be dealt with in several ways. One of our chaps does this sort of thing (yachts) more often than the rest of us not so much, but some basic principles still apply.

What sort of finish would you be wanting, keep it original or nor bothered too much?

is the hull wooden or fibreglass?

Ashley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)