Rc boat

Advert

Rc boat

Home Forums Beginners Rc boat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nicky Borg
    Participant
      @nickyborg56590

Hi is it difficult to build for the first time the huntress 1/8 kit pls 1/8 Scale 34in (863mm) With PR819A Fittings New Kit Designed by Dave Milbourn

Advert
      Nicky Borg
      Participant
        @nickyborg56590

Rc boat huntress

Dave Cooper 6
        Participant
          @davecooper6

Hi Nicky,

It's a difficult question to answer – but, do you have any previous modelling experience ? Boats, cars, aircraft etc. all teach the basic skills….

I suspect that the others may say leave this one for later and, that it may be better to start with something simpler. There are a lot of 'beginner' kits and plans available – some of which are quite attractive.

Happy modelling,

Dave

Nicky Borg
          Participant
            @nickyborg56590

Its the first time for me do i have basic skills in wood work but not in models do you now any beginner boat kit ?? Thank you dave for your help

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Nicky,

If you have not already done so, then do a bit of reading up on the subject first. Here are a couple of useful articles in our features section:

**LINK**

**LINK**

In our product review feature section there are a lot of kit reviews to check out too:

**LINK**

Colin

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

Hi Nicky and welcome to the forum. There are plenty of good beginner's kits out there to cut your teeth on and learn some basic skills before progressing to something a little more involved like the Huntress.

It might also be worth considering starting with something like a Glynn Guest plan and cut your teeth on that as they tend to be a simpler construction with few curves used in the hull construction.

As for kits, you can have the hull ready made and pre-cut internals with something like a Krick kit such as an Anna just to get the feel for your abilities or something a bit bigger and more seaworthy such as a Victoria or Borkum. It all depends on what interests you and is likely to keep you interested through the build.

For your very first model I think a Glynn Guest plan might help you get established.

Have a browse around here;

Sarik

Edited By Richard Simpson on 19/10/2022 11:52:58

Nicky Borg
                Participant
                  @nickyborg56590

Thank you for the help i need some ting like ready cut and i can glu it

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

OK, this is a plastic hull and pre-cut ply wooden interior:

Howes Krick Anna

Richard Simpson
                    Participant
                      @richardsimpson88330

Or the Billing Boats African Queen is a good started kit:

Billing African Queen

Nicky Borg
                      Participant
                        @nickyborg56590

I well have a look thank you for your help

John W E
                        Participant
                          @johnwe

Hi there Nicky

If you have a look at the link below. It takes you to another Forum.  However, you do need to be a member of the Forum to see the photographs.

This is a build done from a plan which was drawn by Dave Milbourn. The article is aimed at the beginner who has no experience and it is for the Fairey Swordsman – it is very similar to the model you require. It doesn't take much building and there have been a lot of successful models built from this article. I hope this inspires you and is of some help.

Now for the sad part. When Dave was alive and he was drawing up and designing the new run of designs for his models, when it was in the plan stage, Dave asked me if I would do an article similar to the one I had done on Mayhem for the Huntress. It was either going to go on this forum on in the Model Boats magazine. Sadly, I had a lot going on at the time and was unable to accept the challenge.

If you find the article which appears in Model Boats magazine which Dave penned. You will see he has a good 'dig' at me stating the Huntress is not for the beginner wink but, who knows what will happen, – as I still have the original drawings which Dave did. Also, I do have to do a tribute to the man who I do miss. John

**LINK**

Edited By John W E on 19/10/2022 16:21:41

Edited By John W E on 19/10/2022 16:23:01

Colin Bishop
                            @colinbishop34627

The article John is referring to appeared in the 2017 Winter Special issue of Model Boats.

You can buy a digital copy here:

**LINK**

or you may be able to find a print copy online.

Colin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)