Radio Range on 2.4

Advert

Radio Range on 2.4

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Radio Range on 2.4

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Former Member
    Participant
      @formermember67585

wanting info on some 2.4 g radio sets.

Advert
      Former Member
      Participant
        @formermember67585

[This posting has been removed]

Brian Sweeting 2
        Participant
          @briansweeting2

Firstly I'm sure that you are aware that the two makes are basically the same radio…

I have a Turnigy i6 which I bought as a first ever radio for use with model gliders. I haven't flown them yet as it was the building that I wanted to do doing the recent World shutdown. I have found the radio to be pretty good at doing what I needed and the choice of receivers is quite varied.

I've since built a land yacht and am currently building a small sailboat.

The radio can be programmed for each of these different uses quite easily.

Be aware that some of the new radios use the latest type 3 receivers so are note backwards compatible with the type 2.

At the price I would say that they would make a good starter for you.

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

i don't know how they compare price wise but I've always been a Spektrum fan. Range is well beyond sight and the latest receivers now are tiny and have no antenna.

As usual though you get what you pay for and while the cheaper options you mention work well they usually do not have an LCD screen nor multi model functionality. I only think you need to be looking at around 4 or 5 models bound to a single transmitter to make the cost of a single more expensive transmitter more cost effective that separate individual ones and you have the enhanced functionality with them all.

Former Member
            Participant
              @formermember67585

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

The issue with 2.4Ghz set range is about nearbty 'park flyer' or more extended aircraft operation.

It is unlikely to be an issue with boats which are close to the operator.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 23/02/2022 21:05:22

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

I'd be interested in knowing what you are going to control 1/4 to 1/2 a mile away as most of us would struggle to see let alone control a model over 400m away.

Former Member
                  Participant
                    @formermember67585

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

There are lots of things which can influence range but a full range receiver (as opposed to a parkflyer) will be one.

On this forum, as you will have gathered, range isn't normally an issue. It is more important for model flyers and there is a lot of online discussion about range issues and equipment if you Google something like 'full range receiver'.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

OK this may sound a little contentious but it's only meant to be thought provoking!

You run 5 foot long racing boats offshore fitted with extremely powerful IC engines with on board cameras at 400 to 800 metres away and you are concerned as regards the cost of the radio?

I would have expected your main concern to not only be the range but the quality of the gear, and hence of course consistency and reliability, so would have expected you to have put the budget into the radio before the boat.

Charles Oates
                        Participant
                          @charlesoates31738

I don't think that's contentious Richard. Without a decent radio set all that money spent on the model and engine could all vanish. Perhaps it would be a good idea to see what radio is favoured by the OMRA racers, they have lots of experience.

Former Member
                          Participant
                            @formermember67585

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi Phil,

Maybe your original question was of a rhetorical nature ?

You seemed to know the answer all a long

You have a Futaba Field Force 7 in your album, they were superb radios in their day, never seen a radio of that quality have range issues.

The model flying adage is if you can't see it, does it matter !!

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

Bear in mind that it's not just the capabilities of the kit, it's also the way it has been fitted. Radio waves don't penetrate metal too well and some people don't seem to appreciate this. If the model installation is screening reception then obviously range can be affected.

Colin

Former Member
                                Participant
                                  @formermember67585

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

You're probably better asking on a forum like RC Groups that have guys with similar boats being used in similar circumstances.

Many of us use a number of forums as you can't expect one forum to have all the answers, especially a relatively small one like this.

Research and finding the best source of information is the name of the game.

Edited By Chris Fellows on 10/03/2022 13:04:49

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi Phil,

As Chris mentioned, your on the wrong forum for such advice, try OMRA the Offshore Model Racing Association they must have a forum and with membership usually comes insurance cover ?

Very few of us on here are doing IC power boats these days as finding a lake is becoming more difficult.

Having said that this is in storage for a rainy day 26cc Petrolimg_20200607_085623.jpg

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 10/03/2022 14:58:00

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 10/03/2022 15:02:06

Former Member
                                      Participant
                                        @formermember67585

Richard Simpson
                                        Participant
                                          @richardsimpson88330

You obviously already know the answers to your own questions and seem intent on arguing every point that has been made. I'm not quite sure why you wasted our time by asking the questions in the first place.

Richard Simpson
                                          Participant
                                            @richardsimpson88330

dont mean to piss anyone off

The fact that you say that suggests you are well aware of how you come across. Yet it doesn't stop you.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 11/03/2022 09:33:07

Colin Bishop
                                              @colinbishop34627

I think this topic has now run its course.

Colin

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)