Old fashioned couplings

Advert

Old fashioned couplings

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Old fashioned couplings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1

I was trying to find some pics of old fashioned couplings to demonstrate a point to a friend and was amazed to find absolutely nothing on the 'net.

The ones I meant were the old slot in a disc type mainly and the bent ended shaft types, transmitting lower speeds and powers from Kakos and early Mabuchis, Taycols and Frogs, amongst others.

Any pics or leads to articles would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin

Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1
        Keith Long
        Participant
          @keithlong89920

Martin – I think the "slot in disc" coupling you're referring to is the "Oldham" coupling, using that as a search term should come up with plenty of info.

The bent ended shaft type I don't think would have a name as I feel it would only be used on models at very low powers – I'd hate to see it being used in anger on a "proper" engineering job!

Pin couplings would also be worth looking at.

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Thanks Keith. I'll have a look for that . I've never heard of the Oldham coupling.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
            Participant
              @martinfield1

Nope, nothing. The Oldham coupling is not what I was thinking of. My slotted disc is exactly that. two opposed curved slots in a disc on the shaft and a two pronged disc on the motor. I guess there are those who might say something about metal "noise", but as I only have one on a non R/C boat it makes no odds to me. But I did have my Taycol square peg type coupling on an early REP equipped Crash Tender and never had a moment's trouble. In fact in years of use, my REP single channel never failed me until the estate agent stole it from my lock up.

I guess I will just have to make something similar and take pictures.

Martin

Dodgy Geezer 1
              Participant
                @dodgygeezer1

Go here: **LINK**

Wait until it loads

Look at the accessory pages. Pages 40 and 50 show some coupling examples from 1960…

Martin Field 1
                Participant
                  @martinfield1

That's it, Dodgy, page 51 bottom centre, the slotted disc coupling. I have a small version on my 56 year old Sea Urchin, original fitment to the mild steel shaft and the small Kako motor.

I cannot see why they are not still made and used as they make very good couplings where people aren't too clever at lining a motor up and where power isn't too high.

Thanks, for that, Dodgy.

Martin

Martin Field 1
                  Participant
                    @martinfield1

BTW, I was looking through a copy of exactly that publication only yesterday. My old friend threw it on the table for me to read while he had his lunch!

Martin

Dodgy Geezer 1
                    Participant
                      @dodgygeezer1
                      Posted by Martin Field 1 on 10/07/2016 18:56:35:

BTW, I was looking through a copy of exactly that publication only yesterday. My old friend threw it on the table for me to read while he had his lunch!

Martin

And now you can read it any time you like….

If you want to see a Taycol square coupling – http://taycol.tk/accessories.html

Edited By Dodgy Geezer on 10/07/2016 19:28:01

Martin Field 1
                      Participant
                        @martinfield1

I have two Taycol square couplings!

M

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)