Noisy Servo

Advert

Noisy Servo

Home Forums Beginners Noisy Servo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

Just completing the installation in the River Cruiser and the rudder servo is buzzing when centred. It's Ok initially, but once moved and returned to centre it starts.

Once on the water it probably won't be noticed but wondering if it will cause any damage to the servo?

If I move the rudder a touch it stops. I'm guessing it's because I don't have any looseness in the system and it's pre-loading it?

Don't have a problem in the Huntress but that's a bigger servo, both are Hitec.

Chris

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943
        Chris Fellows
        Participant
          @chrisfellows72943

Done a bit of reading on the internet and seems to be due to the servo trying to self-centre and consensus is that it won't really do any harm.

But it's annoying me, so tomorrow I will try a less well engineered soution (!) and introduce a bit of slop in the system or I might have another servo.

Chris

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

I would just disconnect the linkage first, i.e. remove the arm, and see how the servo behaves when it isn't connected. If its OK then it might be something a bit tight in the linkages. If it still does it when disconnected then I'd change the servo.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 18/08/2023 22:56:54

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Hi Richard

Yes, even if I just undo the clamping screw at the rudder arm it's alright. I first tried one of the 4 leg arms (does that make sense!) that came with the servo and a clevis pin connecter which didn't buzz but it didn't have enough throw and the clevis connecter fouled one of the arms on full rudder.

So changed to one of my favoured Fastrax single arms and ball and socket connecter, but there is no slack in the system and the servo obviously doesn't like it!

Trouble is I haven't got much room in this mode. Anyway, Plan C shortly!

Chris

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

Silence is golden! smiley

Tim Rowe
                Participant
                  @timrowe83142

Hi Chris

Have you got the servo screwed down really tight? They only need to be lightly nipped onto the grommets.

Try slackening the screws just a fraction so that the servo can comply.

Tim R

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

Good to hear from you Tim, long time no hear!

It is screwed down pretty tight as I broke the rules by having the servo side on and not helped with it being a small servo with only two screws, though I did put some timber along each side to limit movement. Not really a problem though as it's a slow moving boat and the forces are light.

You may have gathered from my previous post that it's sorted though now – see my build blog. I will loosen the screws off though and nip them up.

Are you building anything?

Chris

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)